Osteo Thread

Good news about Twiggy's infection!

Berkeley has mastered the one-front-leg-bed-fluffing. It might actually be the most ridiculous thing to watch. :lol

I don't quite understand why your vet wouldn't use the free chemo? I understand folks opting to not take the free meds because they are financially able to do so, but I've not heard of a vet not taking the meds from OSU?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest azlorenz

We met with an oncologist (board certified, and well regarded) yesterday, and I really liked her, but this whole practice seems to have something against OSU. They keep making sort of snide comments about them i.e. - asking why on earth did I go to OSU to have Twiggy's surgery, and how does Couto get all the greyhounds?... The onco says she probably doesn't want to use the free chemo drugs OSU provides because she doesn't trust them to do it right. :angry: . Seriously?? She'll be happy to sell me the same chemo drugs, though. :blink: Aside from that, I like her very much, so I may take Twiggy there even if I have to buy the doxo or carbo from them.

I know - I held my breathe when I asked the oncologist about getting the drugs from OSU last year for Flash. I was so relieved when she said "absolutely." I am sure their reasoning is that they want 100% quality control over what they are using. I know it makes little sense but might be her thinking.

I'm so sad to see how many hounds have been newly diagnosed in the past couple weeks or so. I hope all are comfortable and doing well today.

Great to hear about Berkeley's calm vet appointment! Hopefully, he is starting a new trend!

Twiggy's infection seems to have cleared - her new incision looks calm and dry, and the stitches are due to come out on Tuesday, so chemo could start next week. She has started fluffing her beds again, not a small feat when you only have 1 front leg :colgate . I also got her to snuggle with me for the first time ever last night. I've been sleeping on an air mattress on the floor since we've been back home, and I coaxed her up onto it, and she did lay down next to me for maybe 10 minutes or so. It was so nice. She's never been a snuggler, and she firmly believes that dogs don't belong on human furniture.

We met with an oncologist (board certified, and well regarded) yesterday, and I really liked her, but this whole practice seems to have something against OSU. They keep making sort of snide comments about them i.e. - asking why on earth did I go to OSU to have Twiggy's surgery, and how does Couto get all the greyhounds?... The onco says she probably doesn't want to use the free chemo drugs OSU provides because she doesn't trust them to do it right. :angry: . Seriously?? She'll be happy to sell me the same chemo drugs, though. :blink: Aside from that, I like her very much, so I may take Twiggy there even if I have to buy the doxo or carbo from them.

this is just my two cents ...

I could see if they use different chemo drugs but, if they plan on using the same drugs you might want to find out why they won't take it from OSU. After all, OSU has provided drugs for plenty of greyhounds and they managed to "get it right". If they are giving you snide remarks now regarding OSU what will happen if you want them to do a consult with OSU in the future - would they do it?

When my angel Onyx got osteo, OSU was not widely know so I paid for everything and I had the surgery done at Angel Memorial in Boston. After surgery he ended up having such bad bruising and the issue with high temps and he got through it but, I think it would have been much easier to be able to consult with OSU on greyhound problems and get their opinions. Of course, they were not really know back then (about 8 years ago), I least I didn't know about them.

One of the reasons that I use the vet that I have right now is that she has no problem consulting with OSU and has done so prior to when my greyhounds went in for their dentals and on other occasions.

Bottom line for me? MY dog! My decisions. If a vet refused to listen to my reasonable requests, I would find another. The chemo is NOT cheap - up to $300 for a single dose - and there is a huge shortage right now (for both people and veterinary drugs). That doesn't include the $250-$300 additional amount to administer the IV each time. Please try and talk some sense into them, especially if cost is an issue for you.

OSU really only has the best interest of Retired Racing Greyhounds in mind, so I'm unclear why any vet would have a problem with them. They "get all the greyhounds" because they specialize in them. It's not called the "Greyhound Health and Wellness Program" because it's for Golden Retrievers.

On the other hand - :yay for Twiggy!!!!!!!! :yay

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Possibly this board certified oncologist could "get all the greyhounds" if she were willing to work with the acknowledged experts in the field, instead of dissing them. Regardless of her personal opinion of OSU, she hasn't shown very professional behavior by making snide cracks about them.

I also wonder if she would have gotten Twiggy through her own tests and procedures with the same speed that OSU has used.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hi Folks:

Just checking in and needed to vent.........SO we have another dog, Prometheus, who is a husky. Well last night around 11pm, started panting, wanting to go out, etc. He starts eating grass like he was starving.......vomits a huge pile of semi-digested food. Approx. 20 minutes later, starts vomiting bright red blood....a significant amt. We rushed him to Angell Memorial where they admitted him and thought he has something called hemorrhagic gastrointestinal _______.

Finally at 5:30am, we get home, where Persephone is now limping and seems to be in pain. I gave her an extra tramadol........and she seemed to settle down. Around 10:00 this morning, she's still limping...goes outside has diarrhea then a tiny little bit more diarrhea with a very small amt of red blood in it (hopefully this is only due to her being stressed and perhaps straining??!!).......BUT I decided to hold her daily dose of new NSAID which she was just switched over to from Rimadyl. Another dose of tramadol and she seems comfortable now w/no limping. However, no call back from vet and wondering what to do for tomorrow.....hold NSAID again........wait to see if BM has no blood......she's also not eating much but this could be because of the smell of GI bleeding that is all over my house from Prometheus vomiting...which I know has her all stressed out....I have been scrubbing at all the spots on my rugs valiantly but I think I will need new carpeting.....Ahhhhhhhhh.

Angell Memorial will keep Prometheus one more night and said he did not vomit/diarrhea since admit early this am so I am at least thankful for that. Needless I'm a wreck.......Persephone is also scheduled at Angell on Wednesday for radiation and pamidronate so maybe if I have to hold the NSAID and just increase the tramadol, she can make it till then.......and of course, that is as long as she gets good result from the tx.

Thanks for reading/listening.......

Carla

Carla,

Hang in there!

I think you are probably doing the right/safe thing by just using the tramadol for now until you hear back form teh vet and/or see more poops. Usually GI bleeding doesn't show red blood but more of a coffee grounds and/or black poop.

There isn't a way the pups could have got into something they shouldn't have is there?

Oh no, Carla – the last thing you need right now is another dog’s difficult medical issues to worry about. I certainly hope Prometheus is doing well at Angell this morning. I agree that Persephone’s bleeding is more likely from straining since it was bright red. However, I think you were already worried about a short switch-over time between NSAIDS, right? If so, and the tramadol is keeping her comfortable, it might make sense to hold off on the new one for now. Do you have DAP diffuser or Rescue Remedy for Persephone? Either or both of these can help with stress, and Persephone is likely missing her husky brother. I’m thinking about you all.

Thanks for the thoughts on the specialty clinic’s OSU issues. This is not my regular vet. I love my regular vet, she is highly educated, compassionate, and always willing to listen to my ideas and consult with other vets if I request. She actually went to vet school with Dr. Ham (Twiggy’s surgeon at OSU), so there’s no problem there, thank goodness. Twiggy’s surgeon at the specialty clinic was, I think, miffed that I didn’t even bother to check around here in Chicago for a qualified surgeon, sort of a “what am I, chopped liver??” reaction. He actually knows Dr. Ham, too – he was her student! (small veterinary world). After he got over the insult of me having gone elsewhere, he seems to be OK, and has been in communication with Dr. Ham. The onco I’m consulting with admitted that it is a control issue. She wants to know that the drugs have been drawn up and prepared properly before injecting them; and she isn’t sure how they can do that and then send them. I had no answers for her on that, because I know nothing about the process. However, while I was there, she did attempt to reach Dr. Marin (had to leave a voicemail). But the onco here went from pretty much saying no way, no how - to we’ll see, once I talk to them. I gave her my steely face while she was saying how she couldn’t trust them to do everything right, and tried to explain that OSU’s greyhound health and wellness program has a very solid reputation, and has treated thousands of hounds, blah, blah, blah… At this point, she hasn’t closed the book on the idea, so we’ll see. The price the onco here quoted me for the drugs is lower than other people seem to hearing: between $450-600 total including tests/administration per dose depending on the drug used; they figure using the chemo from OSU will lower the per-dose total costs by about $60-100 per dose, so maybe it isn’t worth arguing anyway (but that extra week of hospitalization to treat her infection kind of threw off my numbers…).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

As long as you're comfortable with what's going on, then that's what's important!

Dude has his checkup tomorrow morning - exam, bloodwork, and chest xray. Wish us luck!!!!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

:yay:yay:yay CLEAR CHEST XRAYS!!!!!!! :yay:yay:yay

Bloodwork results are still pending this afternoon or tomorrow, but his onco was really pleased with him!!!!!! FFFFFyyyyyeeeeeewwwwwww!

Hugs for everyone!

Bloodwork results are still pending this afternoon or tomorrow, but his onco was really pleased with him!!!!!! FFFFFyyyyyeeeeeewwwwwww!

Hugs for everyone!

Yeah!!! Finally some good news!

WONDERFUL news for Dude!! :pinkele:pepper:bounce1

How many more treatments does he have scheduled?

In other good news, Twiggy re-taught herself how to go both up and down stairs yesterday! Watching her go up, you wouldn't even realize she is missing a leg!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

And Twiggy is a front-leg amp, right? Berkeley is also.... I haven't let him do any stairs, I've been paranoid. We've just moved into our downstairs guest bedroom for the time being.

How does she go down? Did you have to help her? Up I'm sure he could do, it's navigating the down that I'm worried about. He three-legged it BEFORE the amp by not using one of his back legs, so I'm just imagining him trying to two-leg it down or something. :rolleyes:

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Hugs for everyone!

Excellent news and am very happy for you and Duke!!!

Carla

In other good news, Twiggy re-taught herself how to go both up and down stairs yesterday! Watching her go up, you wouldn't even realize she is missing a leg!

That's totally amazing and great news! I am happy to hear that she is adjusting so well, and reading this made me smile.

Carla

Carla - any updates? Your pups doing better?

Prometheus is finally home and seems to be doing ok. He is somewhat lethargic but who wouldn't be after going through that?! He is drinking water and ate a small bit of boiled chicken and rice which is what they said to feed him. No vomiting/diarrhea so hopefully he is on the mend and that is the end of that horrible episode!! Right after Prometheus came home, Persephone started eating her normal portions of food and stopped having diarrhea....so I suspect that she was probably super stressed out. I have heard about rescue remedy, and I'm going to have to pick some up asap to try it out. So tonight we brought Persephone for a nice walk, and now both furbabies are resting comfortably. Persephone had started to limp again without the Piroxicam so since the diarrhea stopped, I gave it to her again, and she is back to walking normally.

We will be off to Angell Memorial (again) on Wednesday for her first radiation and pamidronate treatment.........hopefully it will all go well.....keep all fingers and paws crossed for us!

Thanks,

Carla

And Twiggy is a front-leg amp, right? Berkeley is also.... I haven't let him do any stairs, I've been paranoid. We've just moved into our downstairs guest bedroom for the time being.

How does she go down? Did you have to help her? Up I'm sure he could do, it's navigating the down that I'm worried about. He three-legged it BEFORE the amp by not using one of his back legs, so I'm just imagining him trying to two-leg it down or something. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel; I've been living downstairs w/o plumbing for that last month :lol . In anticipation of getting her stitches out tomorrow, I put carpet down on the tile stairs to my main floor yesterday, and didn't block them off. She just decided to come up! And Yes, she is a front-leg amp. Up is easy-peasy for a FLA. I was worried about Down, and held her by the collar the first couple times (would've been more, but Twiggy had other ideas). I was going to see if she would let me help her up the second flight (no carpet on that tile yet), but she misunderstood and took off RUNNING down the stairs to the first floor - I was terrified, but there was nothing I could do, she was too fast, and skilled - she ran right down like nothing was different!

Prometheus is finally home and seems to be doing ok. He is somewhat lethargic but who wouldn't be after going through that?! He is drinking water and ate a small bit of boiled chicken and rice which is what they said to feed him. No vomiting/diarrhea so hopefully he is on the mend and that is the end of that horrible episode!! Right after Prometheus came home, Persephone started eating her normal portions of food and stopped having diarrhea....so I suspect that she was probably super stressed out. I have heard about rescue remedy, and I'm going to have to pick some up asap to try it out. So tonight we brought Persephone for a nice walk, and now both furbabies are resting comfortably. Persephone had started to limp again without the Piroxicam so since the diarrhea stopped, I gave it to her again, and she is back to walking normally.

We will be off to Angell Memorial (again) on Wednesday for her first radiation and pamidronate treatment.........hopefully it will all go well.....keep all fingers and paws crossed for us!

Thanks,

Carla

I'm so glad that Prometheus is home and doing better, and that Pershephone is getting back to herself - she missed her brother! Best wishes for all of you and fingers crossed for Wednesday's treatments at Angell!

Way to go Dude!!! :bounce1

Charlie is closing in on 14 mths post diagnosis and doing very well. The cool weather has him running around like a mad man and he's very happy most of the flies are gone! Our celebratory post is here:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/276676-charlie-is-14mths-post-osteo-dx-and-amp/

I hope everyone's pups are doing well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:yay Dude!!! How many months post-amp is he now?

And :yay for Charlie and the other post amp pups who are continuing to adjust as well!

Love these good news days. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi Folks:

Just checking in and needed to vent.........SO we have another dog, Prometheus, who is a husky. Well last night around 11pm, started panting, wanting to go out, etc. He starts eating grass like he was starving.......vomits a huge pile of semi-digested food. Approx. 20 minutes later, starts vomiting bright red blood....a significant amt. We rushed him to Angell Memorial where they admitted him and thought he has something called hemorrhagic gastrointestinal _______.

Finally at 5:30am, we get home, where Persephone is now limping and seems to be in pain. I gave her an extra tramadol........and she seemed to settle down. Around 10:00 this morning, she's still limping...goes outside has diarrhea then a tiny little bit more diarrhea with a very small amt of red blood in it (hopefully this is only due to her being stressed and perhaps straining??!!).......BUT I decided to hold her daily dose of new NSAID which she was just switched over to from Rimadyl. Another dose of tramadol and she seems comfortable now w/no limping. However, no call back from vet and wondering what to do for tomorrow.....hold NSAID again........wait to see if BM has no blood......she's also not eating much but this could be because of the smell of GI bleeding that is all over my house from Prometheus vomiting...which I know has her all stressed out....I have been scrubbing at all the spots on my rugs valiantly but I think I will need new carpeting.....Ahhhhhhhhh.

Angell Memorial will keep Prometheus one more night and said he did not vomit/diarrhea since admit early this am so I am at least thankful for that. Needless I'm a wreck.......Persephone is also scheduled at Angell on Wednesday for radiation and pamidronate so maybe if I have to hold the NSAID and just increase the tramadol, she can make it till then.......and of course, that is as long as she gets good result from the tx.

Thanks for reading/listening.......

Carla

HUGS TO YOU CARLA :f_pink

As long as you're comfortable with what's going on, then that's what's important!

Dude has his checkup tomorrow morning - exam, bloodwork, and chest xray. Wish us luck!!!!

DUDE :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Our Dr Melanie called with Dude's bloodwork results - ALL COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!!!!!! :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

Plus the actual readiologist read the xrays and saw no signs of any cancer at all!!!!

I actually had a wave of relief run through me during the phone call!! SOOOOOOOOO AWESOMELY HAPPY!

He stays on his current meds for the forseable future with his next checkup in December!