Sitting For A Dog In Heat

I am pupsitting for an 18-month-old German Shepherd for 2 weeks. Right now I've got my dogs at my folks' home and the GSD at her home across town. I had planned on spending the few first nights at the GSD's home as she may have separation anxiety (and my pups are fine by themselves for 8-10 hours), and then, with DH's help, introducing them at the local park and see if they might play together.

Now, the day before GSD's peeps leave, they tell me she might be going into heat. I've never dealt with a dog in heat. I guess the park is out, but what else can I not do with her? And how will I know if/when she is actually in heat? I realize these may be really dumb questions. I've read up on basics online, but I'm looking for practical info.

* I don't why dog is intact but she came from a breeder and these folks have had GSDs for decades.

** The GSD's people have left me back-up folks to call if I'm in over my head with the bring in heat thing but I want to give it a go if I can.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

You may notice a little bleeding. You can get doggie diapers to prevent blood from getting on everything.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Her first week may not be too messy but after that can. She will become a "slut puppy" & want all boys to sniff & lick her (Noelle is nearing the end of her cycle). If your dogs have been fixed for a long time they may not pay any attention to her but don't count on it. Laura's Chow was cut at 6 months but he still was very interested in little girls he came near. She may also need to empty out more often. Good luck.

Guest KennelMom

She may drip some blood. Her private bits will swell and become pretty obvious. Just don't leave her unattended outside or with other dogs and you'll be fine...even some altered males will try to do the deed. I also don't take them for walks if they're in season/coming in

We had a female English Setter that we bred (once) way back when I was a kid--she did not exhibit any slutty behavior BUT we did find a gigantic GSD in our back yard one morning!! Those would have been some weird looking puppies.

So plan on supervising her very carefully when she's outside!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you all very much! She has a 'kennel' (half the yard double-gated with a kiddie pool and toys) that she stays in when her peeps are at work. Sounds like I might just keep her inside instead, just to be safe.

If I do introduce my two hounds to her (both spayed girls), would there be any special issues I should worry about beyond the usual precautions?

Thank you all very much! She has a 'kennel' (half the yard double-gated with a kiddie pool and toys) that she stays in when her peeps are at work. Sounds like I might just keep her inside instead, just to be safe.

If I do introduce my two hounds to her (both spayed girls), would there be any special issues I should worry about beyond the usual precautions?

Absolutely!!!

Unless the kennel has a top to it, if you leave a female in heat outside...well, you know what comes next!!

The fence around our yard was a six foot fence, and our girl was only outside to do her business when she was in heat, and that was enough to entice the neighborhood unneutered dog to jump in and try to say hello!! ;)

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytexplorer

I, too, was lucky enough to pupsit my husband's boss's young-lady-puppy. This pup was a "tornado dog", and Bill's boss decided after they found her,they would keep her. Well, how could I NOT agree to pupsit???

The second day we had her, she went into heat and began bleeding. Blood everywhere. Just drops, yes, but she had been all over my house!!!

Here a drip, there a drip, everywhere a drip drip.

I called our vet's office and the tech told me DO NOT go to the park, DO NOT take dog for walk except for maybe a couple of trips up and down my street.

She warned me that male dogs will come out of NOWHERE to tie up with her, and it could get ugly. So to be on the safe side, keep MissDrippy in the house, and always go outside with her (even in the fenced back yard) when she needs to potty.

So that was the vet clinic's admonishment, and I took it to heart.

Good luck to you! How long do you have to pupsit? How is it going?

I adopted a dog that was in heat. It really wasn't a big deal - a little common sense and you'll be fine. Just be sure she's no where where a male (intact or otherwise) can get to her. Even the neutered boys can get a little too frisky. :lol

No issues with other females though. She'll be fine with your girls.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Ok, pupdate. GSD is exhibiting some overly attentive behavior to me so we are indoors. My pups are fine with her and vice versa. They have been playing nicely. GSD's energy level makes me SO thankful for my polite, well-behaved houndies! Wow, this breed has some crazy energy!!

Guest SpicyMom

She's still just a pup. GSD, like greyhounds, stay pups for a while, even if she's started her cycles, so that probably accounts for the extra energy. My grey girls didn't really grow out of their puppy stage until after 2 years old. Some dogs never hit the "slutty" stage but can get into it with male dogs that are bothering them. You even have to watch out for the small ones - a neighbor of mine has a AKC bassethound stud. even though he's 12 or 13 (i.e. very elderly), i have seen him trying to mount a greyhound 3 times his size! Good effort, but luckily not much success!

I think I feel more comfortable not going to the park with her anyway. She's a lot of dog without good leash behavior and I don't think I have enough control over her for a park situation. We are doing a lot of hide/chase around the house and backyard. She's very affectionate. Her nipples are a little enlarged (well, relative to the little nothings my houndies have). Not sure if that's a breed thing though.

I've got her for two weeks. She's going to tire me out. :)

Edited by vsrenard