Newly Adopted Grey Being "bullied"

Guest stevenham

Guest stevenham

Hello everyone,

I adopted a female Grey (Cyber) 2 days ago and she is a VERY shy girl. I also have a male JRT (Scruffy) and they are both around 3 years old.

They first met at the adoption event and spent some time together and everything seemed fine. Scruffy was jumping around her being the crazy dog he is and Cyber really couldn't care less.

I have never seen any aggressive behavior from Scruffy, but he's turning out to be somewhat of a bully. The biggest problem is that he doesn't let Cyber come into any of the rooms or areas we are in. He would jump on her face and bark at her until she walks away. I've managed to correct that behavior, but now all he does is give her a stare and being the shy, low self esteem dog she is, Cyber will just walk away. When I try to spend some time with Cyber, Scruffy just doesn't allow it. I've even tried keeping him in the crate, but he will go absolutely insane. I've been working on calling their names and alternating the treating, but I can tell that Cyber is just waiting for me to let go of the leash so she can get away from Scruffy.

I know it's too soon to tell, but if Scruffy's behavior towards Cyber doesn't change, I'm worried that Cyber's self confidence will get even worse. It's pretty bad as it is, and Scruffy doesn't seem to be helping at all. She's already reluctant to come into the same room as Scruffy. Is this something that time and training can fix? Or should I really reconsider the situation?

Well, you can tell by my siggy, who runs this house. :lol No seriously, she tries but we run the house, Jilly Bean just likes to think she's boss. She has tried to boss around every dog that's come into our home and it took a lot of work to correct the behaviors that she was exhibiting. Unlike you though, our first greyhound was a very confident female who when the time came put Jilly Bean in her place.

My only suggestion is to keep correcting Scruffy and when you catch him giving Cyber that look, make him move away. I'd move him and put him in a sit & stay position so that she is able to move without worrying whether or not he's going to get in her face again. I will tell you, none of my greyhounds will tolerate Jilly Bean jumping up in their faces for long before they correct her themselves.

Given the nature of the JRT and the behavior of Scruffy, you may find Cyber retreats more and more. Hopefully though, she will reach her breaking point with Scruffy and put him in his place, if not, you may find that adopting a more confident female would be a better choice.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest stevenham

Thanks for the reply. Although she just walks away now, the last thing I'd want is for her to reach her breaking point. I'm pretty sure she'd be able to kill Scruffy in one bite.

I do try and keep Scruffy away from her, but I think it makes him more jealous. How might I go about getting her to even come into the same room? As of now, she doesn't seem food or toy motivated. She doesn't even try and come into the same room anymore. She just runs up to her crate every chance she gets. I pretty much have to drag her out down the stairs to even go for a walk.

Judy gave you some great advice. I too have a JRT who "thinks" she runs the house. She can think it but I am the one who has to keep everyone in line.

You have only had your dog for two days, I would say that if she want's to retreat to her crate to allow her to. She also needs time to adjust to her new surroundings. I wouldn't force her out at all right now. In fact for about a week to two I would just let her be. Some things are best worked out on their own.

When she will come out just sit quietly and not ask anything of her. You could get some treats, hotdogs are a big commodity here, and just sit on the floor not looking at her and as she gets closer reward her with a hot dog piece. If your JRT gets too much in the way you will have to either crate, or leash him and continue treating Cyber.

Good luck :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Sounds like your JRT is in some serious need of a reality check. The way you describe the situation, not only does Scruffy bully Cyber, but he also bullies you. He needs to learn that no matter what he does, you will continue to give attantion to Cyber. He can not control access to you. Period. JRT's are stubborn and smart, and terriers always want to run the house. You will have a hard time changing his mind, but you can with time and patience and consistency.

That being said, Cyber has not been with you for very long, as Kamsmom stated. If she wants to have some space and time alone, then she should have a place - safe from Scruffy - where she can go to escape him and just be calm. Take her with you on a walk alone, or into another room with the door closed. Have someone else take Scruffy for a walk - a very long walk - so Cyber has a chane to explore the house without him intimidating her.

Remember, YOU are in charge of how your dogs interact. If you don't like it, then change it. Don't let things deteriorate until one of the dogs has to go for the safety of the other one.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the reply. Although she just walks away now, the last thing I'd want is for her to reach her breaking point. I'm pretty sure she'd be able to kill Scruffy in one bite.

I do try and keep Scruffy away from her, but I think it makes him more jealous. How might I go about getting her to even come into the same room? As of now, she doesn't seem food or toy motivated. She doesn't even try and come into the same room anymore. She just runs up to her crate every chance she gets. I pretty much have to drag her out down the stairs to even go for a walk.

As others have said, let her have her "safe" place right now. She's getting used to you, Scruffy, a new home and totally different life. She's going to take time to adjust and will do it in her own time. Now as far as her breaking point, of all the greyhounds I've had through these doors, none have actually gone after Jilly Bean. Most greyhounds will give a warning before they totally lose it. It's usually in the form of a snap/bark combination. The snap is usually not serious, it's a warning. If Scruffy doesn't listen to her when she corrects him, then he will need to be removed from the situation because greyhounds, as laid back as they are, will not put up with continual harassment from little dogs. If Scruffy is smart, he'll figure out with the first growl/snap that she means business and will walk away. Jilly Bean learned very quickly that when one of the hounds does that to her, she's being a pain and she walks away.

I don't know if Scruffy has been to any training classes, but those would help a lot. We took Jilly Bean to them and the difference it made in her was amazing. You will be able to get the behavior you're looking for out of Scruffy with just a few commands.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest stevenham

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely work on making things better for Cyber. I thought I had full leadership over Scruffy, but I guess I was wrong. I think he's doing a bit better now. They are currently chilling on the bed together.

The laziness of Grey's still amazes me.

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely work on making things better for Cyber. I thought I had full leadership over Scruffy, but I guess I was wrong. I think he's doing a bit better now. They are currently chilling on the bed together.

The laziness of Grey's still amazes me.

Congratulations on your new pup!

Just a note - that's not laziness - it's energy conservation.....:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

They are currently chilling on the bed together.

progress already!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest LindsaySF

It might just be because your Grey is so new. My Chihuahua mix Lily bosses around every new foster or boarder that comes in, but it only lasts a few days. I do correct her, and keep her on a leash so she can't harass them, but most of the issue goes away on its own with time. Not sure if your JRT is the same or not. I would continue to correct her, keep a leash on her so you have control, give treats when your JRT is near the Grey and behaving, etc. Also have a crate for the Grey to retreat to when needed, and some free time for the Grey where the JRT is confined somewhere. Things should settle down soon. If they don't settle in a few days, then I would worry that it's not a good match. Good luck!

You can't get better advice on this topic than from JillysFullHouse!

Your new girl will change and evolve for MONTHS, so don't worry too much about her shyness right now. Sounds like you're doing lots of things right!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest stevenham

Thank you for all the advice.

Cyber doesn't play with Scruffy, but they do seem to be getting used to each other now. He isn't quite bullying her anymore. I guess it was normal for Scruffy to be a bit territorial during the first few days.

They actually ran around our small dog park we have in our neighborhood and wow are they both fast. Scruffy has finally met his match in speed. He pretty much outruns any other dog, but not Cyber.

Sounds like things are improving. Good thoughts that they continue that way.

Guest sweetpea

We had the opposite of your situation, we had a greyhound (Sweetpea) established in the house and

brought in a napoleonic rat terrier (Sebastian).

Sebastian adores Sweetpea, but every once in a while he'll get himself wound up and get a

little chippy. That gets him a stern talking to and he's sent to bed.

He'll try to bully the cats, again, a quick firm "huh uh!" and sent to bed.

2 days is very early on for your girl, as Susan said she's likely to evolve for months, but

it's good to establish to both your dogs what is acceptable behavior.

Somewhere down the line you may end up with something like this:

001-1.jpg

Good luck!

Buzzy

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Talking about a dogs speed, you do realize that the greyhound is the fastest land animal in north america. The next fastest dog is a whippet and they are nearly 10mph slower. Your JRT may on a good day be able to top out at about 20mph whereas your greyhound tops out in the 40's somewhere. Just a fun fact for you...

Talking about a dogs speed, you do realize that the greyhound is the fastest land animal in north america. The next fastest dog is a whippet and they are nearly 10mph slower. Your JRT may on a good day be able to top out at about 20mph whereas your greyhound tops out in the 40's somewhere. Just a fun fact for you...

Actually, the pronghorn is North America's fastest land animal.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What is your source of speed info?

Google it and take your pick.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=fastest+land+animal+in+north+america&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=fa26eb184f58bc00&biw=1440&bih=817

Guest WhiteWave

I had a similar problem when we brought Xander home. My JRT is too old and keeps to himself now, but my Boston Terrier is a bully. He would jump and growl at Xander when near the gate, front door, going into a room, etc. He would bully him over toys. If I threw a toy, Jack would have to take it away from him.

It took about 3 weeks and no matter how much I corrected Jack, 2 seconds later he was back to being Jack. Then finally Xander who had been scared and skittish around him, had enough and corrected him. Jack has finally toned it down a lot and Xander isn't afraid to get the ball/toy first and keep it!

I did find leashing Jack gave me a little more control. Letting him drag the leash, I had something to grab and correct his behavior b/c otherwise he is too slippery to catch! Also redirecting. Jack has the attention span of a fly and is easily distracted. He now plays with Xander and will even sleep with him.

Good luck! :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Google it and take your pick.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=fastest+land+animal+in+north+america&aq=2&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=fa26eb184f58bc00&biw=1440&bih=817

Did you happen to notice the speed of the greyhound? They list the greyhound at less than 40mph. I have had all three of my hounds clocked by a police radar gun (accurate to 1 mph plus/minus & calibrated) and they all broke 43-46mph. Something seems a bit fishy here. Cant allways believe what you read on the internet...

Sorry for the post hijack

Did you happen to notice the speed of the greyhound? They list the greyhound at less than 40mph. I have had all three of my hounds clocked by a police radar gun (accurate to 1 mph plus/minus & calibrated) and they all broke 43-46mph. Something seems a bit fishy here. Cant allways believe what you read on the internet...

Sorry for the post hijack

Yes, but, the internet isn't the only place I've seen the speed of the pronghorn listed....I've also seen several shows that state the speed of the pronghorn at around 60 mph. I don't believe the greyhound can reach 60 mph.....above 40, yes.

Anyway, sorry to the OP for the hijack.

Guest stevenham

Hey all,

I just wanted to leave an update.

After about 2 weeks, they are getting along pretty well. They will generally walk around the house and the dog park together, but I haven't yet seen them sleep next to one another. I'm dying to see them cuddling some day hahah. With my Jack, who loves being chases and my Grey that loves to chase small things they seem to be a perfect match at the dog park. I never felt the need to muzzle the Grey. She responds really well to a firm "no" and never really tried to bite down on my Jack.

My Jack obviously can't run as fast as a Grey, but he can definite go faster than 20 mph on a bad day. I bike with him and he can keep up with me going as fast as I possibly can. He must at least be doing 25-30mph in short bursts. For a 13 pounder, that's just incredible.