Lola Won't Sleep Thru The Night

Hi, and hope everybody emerged unscathed from July 4th.

My problem is this: around 11pm, i either walk the girls or let them out back for their final bathroom break of the day. Then, at around 3 or 4am, i hear the "click click click" of Lola coming into my room , wanting to go out the back door. If i let her out, she does pee and come back. But if i tell her to go back to bed, and don't get up and let her out, she pees in the house. Is this a behavior i should just learn to accept, or is there something i can do?? Thank you for any suggestions.

Tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest Tes623

I would just learn to accept that is life with dogs. At least she's asking to go out and not just doing it without trying to wake you up. :colgate

Does she usually go in the same spot? I have washable incontinence pads I lay down. I have seniors and they really can't make it all night. Neither can I. :lol

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest sheila

Think about this. Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee? Do you just suck it up and hold it or do you do what you need to do? When a dogs gotta go they just gotta and I would appreciate a dog that let me know this.

I have a dog door now so this isn't an issue for me anymore, but I remember the time when I had to get up and let a dog out for a nocturnal relief and I know that it can seem like a PITA. Is a dog door an option for you? If not, I'm afraid you are going to just have to suck it up and chalk it up to 'life with dogs.'

Think about this. Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee? Do you just suck it up and hold it or do you do what you need to do? When a dogs gotta go they just gotta and I would appreciate a dog that let me know this.

I have a dog door now so this isn't an issue for me anymore, but I remember the time when I had to get up and let a dog out for a nocturnal relief and I know that it can seem like a PITA. Is a dog door an option for you? If not, I'm afraid you are going to just have to suck it up and chalk it up to 'life with dogs.'

do i ever wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee? hmmmmm. good point.... :)

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest zoolaine

Mizuki is my one that wants to go out 1-2 times a night. She is usually will bark and bark and then pee if I don't take her out. But strangely I have noticed she seems to only do this on nights when I have to get up at 5am the next morning. When I can sleep in she sleeps through the night :huh I am getting a dog door next week so hope this helps

You might want to make sure that she doesn't have a UTI - that can make them go more often and it's also harder for them to hold it in.

Ditto that.

If she doesn't have a UTI, might keep an eye on her water consumption in the evening. I would tend not to restrict water even so, but it might give you a reason.

If nothing medical, might try taking her out for a pee 1.5 - 2 hours before bed, and then right before bed, and see if that holds her through the night.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How long have you had Lola, and how old is she? Has she always done this, or is this a more recent development? Especially if this is something new, I would definitely rule out medical problems first. In addition to a urinalysis to rule out UTI, I'd also consider bloodwork to check for health problems that might be causing increased urine production.

Assuming no medical reasons, you might want to try changing the sleeping arrangements to see if you can figure out a way to help Lola sleep through the night. Does she have free roam of the house at night? Any idea what might be waking her up in the middle of the night? Keeping her in the bedroom with you by closing the door or using a baby gate might help. Or block access to rooms that have doors/windows to the outside, where she might be hearing wildlife.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Milky Way used to do this in fact somewhere I once posted about it. I just thought that was part of having a dog except I never could figure out why he didn't have to pee Friday and Saturday nights. It turns out that the folks who used to live in the house two doors down would leave to go to work at about 3am exactly when he was getting up. All of a sudden a few months ago the behavior just stopped, I thought I was just lucky until I realized the neighbors had moved out and a for sale sign was out front. Since those folks moved he hasn't ONCE gotten up. Anyway my point is that it it could be something she hears that wakes her up.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

How long have you had Lola, and how old is she? Has she always done this, or is this a more recent development? Especially if this is something new, I would definitely rule out medical problems first. In addition to a urinalysis to rule out UTI, I'd also consider bloodwork to check for health problems that might be causing increased urine production.

Assuming no medical reasons, you might want to try changing the sleeping arrangements to see if you can figure out a way to help Lola sleep through the night. Does she have free roam of the house at night? Any idea what might be waking her up in the middle of the night? Keeping her in the bedroom with you by closing the door or using a baby gate might help. Or block access to rooms that have doors/windows to the outside, where she might be hearing wildlife.

Lola is 7 and we've had her for almost 2 years. She has a quirky personality in general, and she's always been prone to peeing in the house now and then. We've had her checked for physical problems. Recently though, my partner and i split up, so there was a change in the household that probably upset her. :(

2rqyqhd.jpg

You might want to make sure that she doesn't have a UTI - that can make them go more often and it's also harder for them to hold it in.

Ditto that.

If she doesn't have a UTI, might keep an eye on her water consumption in the evening. I would tend not to restrict water even so, but it might give you a reason.

If nothing medical, might try taking her out for a pee 1.5 - 2 hours before bed, and then right before bed, and see if that holds her through the night.

i end up sending the pups out at 10:30ish and then again at 11. if i don't i end up in the same situation as you.

A healthy 7 year old dog should have no problem getting through the night, particularly if you take her out at 11 PM (unless you sleep until 11 AM!).

I would have her urine tested. Both for signs of a UTI, and the specific gravity.

Even George, who has some troubles holding it all day while I'm at work during the week, can hold it all night.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck