Indy Is Nipping At Wife - Who's Pregnant. Connection? (1St Post)

Guest BrindleBoy

Guest LoriEric

Just got Indy 2 days ago. Going thru all the usual stuff... not sleeping, marking, etc. But one thing that is concerning me a little is that he gets SO excited when my wife is handling him, he does the small growl and air nipping thing, and on a leash she says he's even a little obstinate with her (he's not with me.) My wife is newly pregnant, just wondering if that has any affect on how a grey will react to her? I'm just concerned because if this is some kid of "issue", I'll need to know how to correct it.

Long story:

We met him at a meet & greet about a week and a half ago, brought him home a week later. He was fine (no nipping) at those times. But since being home & we've started trying to acclimate him to us, his new home, where to go potty, etc, this air-nipping thing started. I know it's common, just want to make sure the pregancy isn't part of it.

BTW, it's my 1st post, but thanks for all the info so far! Glad I found GreyTalk!

Tractor does some of the same things with me. And I'm the one who feeds him, takes him out, all the good Mom stuff. I suspect that he's doing it because she's his primary caregiver and he's happy to be doing stuff with Mom. When my husband goes to feed and take the dogs out, Tractor doesn't do the air snap thing with him.

Just get him to calm down and let him know that the air snap isn't appropriate if you don't like it.

Good luck. And I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

We have two greys that air snap and it always means they are excited and happy. Is Indy connecting with her skin? Perhaps distracting him with a toy or try teaching him to wait might help. He is still pretty new to your home and is learning how to settle in. It could be just a matter of him calming down when he feels more at home. I'm sure others will have good advice for you. Good luck with your new pup and of course, Congrats on the baby!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What you're describing is over-enthusiastic and happy, not aggression. I have no idea if a dog can tell if a person is pregnant, but I believe this new behavior is related to the dog relaxing and feeling more at home, and nothing to do with pregnancy!

What generally works to curb this is if the dog actually makes contact, she should yelp (as if hurt) since that's how dogs signal to each other "that was too hard."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

I agree with George, he is being excited and happy. My youngest grey, Frank, does this to me all the time when he is excited like when its feeding time, going for a walk, running in the yard, etc...

Congratulations on your new arrival and welcome to GT!

:welcome2:confetti

Guest LoriEric

Thanks for the replies so far. Any more help greatly appreciated! I know dogs can "sense" or small a lot of stuff, just didn't know if pregnancy was one of them, or if it even mattered.

Meet Indy (short for Independence, Indiana Jones, or Indy 500, depending on who you ask!)

Just turned 3 yrs. Small boy.

Indy.jpg

Guest zombrie

What you're describing is over-enthusiastic and happy, not aggression. I have no idea if a dog can tell if a person is pregnant, but I believe this new behavior is related to the dog relaxing and feeling more at home, and nothing to do with pregnancy!

What generally works to curb this is if the dog actually makes contact, she should yelp (as if hurt) since that's how dogs signal to each other "that was too hard."

This worked like a charm for my GSD, who was awful with nipping (she likes to herd and is over-enthusiastic when greeting people) - as well as turning around with arms crossed ignoring her until the behavior stopped

ETA Indy is adorable!

ETA again... Does your wife act very excitable around him? My dogs are insane misbehaved animals when my sister visits because she is over the top, uses very high pitched voices, letting them jump all over her, rough-houses, etc.

Edited by zombrie

Guest LoriEric

No, his racing name was Burrsa. He raced in FL. His last race was only about 5 weeks ago.

My wife isn't overly enthusiastic when greeting him; no more than I am.

No, his racing name was Burrsa. He raced in FL. His last race was only about 5 weeks ago.

My wife isn't overly enthusiastic when greeting him; no more than I am.

He looks just like U Betcha Eddie whose name was also changed to Indy.

Regarding your dog...air snapping is not unusual. Harry, who I've had since he was a puppy, air snaps at me all the time. He rarely does it to anyone else. He will also grab my hand, in his mouth, when he wants something and I am walking away. He has never hurt me but, I don't let him get out of hand.

As far as dogs knowing about an impending pregnancy...I had a collie mix, when I was pregnant with my daughter, and she most definately knew something. When I would sit on the floor, and watch TV, the collie would lay next to me and put her head on my stomach. She would never leave my side. After my daughter was born the collie was very protective and would't let any strangers near her.

Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy and the adoption of Indy.

Kathy

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

Guest iconsmum

dogs absolutely know about pregnancy - I mean they might not know there's a baby coming, but they detect hormonal presence, estrogen, testosterone, pheromones,...but I vote for the over enthusiasm thing too since mine nits (only) me and holds my hand with his teeth when he's anticipating something.

Since Indy is new, are you crate training? You might think about it with a new baby on the way. Just in case you wish to crate him when the baby arrives. He will probably not wet in his crate unless it is very necessary. (Are you using Belly Bands on him?) We find the greyhounds love their own private home to go to. We find them asleep in their crates with the door wide open. When the baby starts to crawl and pull on things (maybe tail, ears) Indy might like his own room (crate) to go to. We feed them in their crates so they learn the crate is a happy place. Some collect toys or bones and store them in their crate. Sure beats burying them outside.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Swifthounds

dogs absolutely know about pregnancy - I mean they might not know there's a baby coming, but they detect hormonal presence, estrogen, testosterone, pheromones,...but I vote for the over enthusiasm thing too since mine nits (only) me and holds my hand with his teeth when he's anticipating something.

Dogs are much more sensitive to hormonal banged than people and even mores when recently neutered. It takes weeks to months for hormone levels to go back. So you have a hormone imbalanced wife and a hormone imbalanced hound at the same time.

You will want to ignore undesirable behaviors, limit opportunities for them and reward positive, calm behaviors. If you give us specific examples of when the issues are occurring, we can give more concrete suggestions.

I would be more concerned if you had already had Indy a while and then your wife got pregnant and the nipping started. That would worry me from a standpoint of a reaction to the hormonal change. This sounds more like a young and over-excited guy. Face it...he realizes he hit the jackpot and is celebrating! :lol

He is beautiful by the way!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest LoriEric

ok, well it sounds like it's just normal excitement, which is fine. We aren't crate training him...yet. He just got here monday evening. So we're just waiting for his stress level to come down a bit & get him on a schedule. He'll go in his crate w/o issue, especially if we give him a kong, and we can even close the door. But we haven't tried to leave him in there for more than 15min yet... again, don't want to cause stress levels to go higher than they already are.

May I suggest you feed him in his crate. He is use to eating in his crate. No one has ever bothered him in his crate. You might enjoy watching him take a nap in his crate. They are comfortable there, they curl all up and do some roach racing. Don't wait too long to crate him. Greyhounds are very smart and will try to become the boss if you do not assert your alpha position. We love and spoil them and they take over the house. I know I am well trained. :colgate

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest LoriEric

Well, like I said, we put him in there today for a short while, and we are going to do alone training with the crate. But I assume if he is "so comfortable" with his crate, wouldn't he want to sleep in it? And retreat there when under stress? He has rarely entered his crate voluntarily since he got here 2 days ago. I'd love to be able to crate him & go run errands, but I don't want to cause him even more stress due to the relocation than he's already under... we've already had marking & pooing in the house; not TODAY, but last evening was pretty much a nightmare. I caught him today looking for somewhere to poo in the middle of the day & got him outside no problem, but he's obviously still stressed out...

Unless of course, and this is entirely possible, I have no idea what I'm talking about? :unsure We've read the Racing GH for Dummies book, and have been watching Caesar (I know opinions of his methods are mixed).

Edited by LoriEric

Guest Swifthounds

We've read the Racing GH for Dummies book, and have been watching Caesar (I know opinions of his methods are mixed).

Mixed is putting it kindly. People who don't like dogs, don't understand them, and don't know how to train are Caesar's fan base.

Carry on.

What type of dog food are you feeding him? That makes a huge difference in his poop habits. Remember he's always had the racing diet. Is he a retired racer from a kennel? I do not remember reading about him. A lot of us feed the Costco brand kibble. Costco also has a new grain free kibble (blue bag). I feed that to my big time poopers.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

Guest LoriEric

We're feeding him the same food he had been eating in the adoption kennel (then the prison program)- Kirkland Chicken & Rice & Veggies. So we haven't changed his food. His poop habits would almost certainly be from stress, I would think. I mean, his last race was May 14, and he's been hauled up here from FL, then put in the kennel, then the prison program, now our house. He doesn't know which end is up right now.

Guest iconsmum

We've read the Racing GH for Dummies book, and have been watching Caesar (I know opinions of his methods are mixed).

Mixed is putting it kindly. People who don't like dogs, don't understand them, and don't know how to train are Caesar's fan base.

Carry on.

I just spilled my coffee

Guest KennelMom

I'm sure dogs can sense the hormonal changes in a pregnant woman. I don't know if they translate that to "pregnant" and understand what that means, but I think they absolutely can detect a difference.

That said, it's probably unrelated to the air snapping. Some greys seem to warm up to women much more quickly than to men (sorry :P ).

As to whether it's a problem...that depends. As you can see some folks have no problem with air snapping and nitting. My rule of thumb is, a behavior is OK as long as I don't mind them doing it my 80 year old grandma, a child or me walking around with a baby in my arms. If yes, then do nothing. If the thought of your dog doing that to your wife at 9 months preggers or with a newborn, she needs to nip it in the bud NOW. Not later, now.

We're feeding him the same food he had been eating in the adoption kennel (then the prison program)- Kirkland Chicken & Rice & Veggies. So we haven't changed his food. His poop habits would almost certainly be from stress, I would think. I mean, his last race was May 14, and he's been hauled up here from FL, then put in the kennel, then the prison program, now our house. He doesn't know which end is up right now.

You should not assume he's housebroken!

I have no idea where dogs in prison programs are housed, but I would just treat him like an unhousebroken puppy until you're sure!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds
:nod Thats a lot of change in a short time. I wouldn't change the food for now. Give him as much routine as you can and don't fret or fuss over him (it makes us feel like we're doing something, but makes them more nervous). He'll settle in.

Crating will help him adjust and help keep his stress levels down. He needs structure now, and freedom should come slowly, not the other way around.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~