Hello From Utah

Guest SteveO

Guest SteveO

By way of introduction, I'm Steve and my wife is Shelly. We're from North Carolina but a job offer brought us to Utah 5 years ago. We have big kids and little ones, too. A mine, hers, and ours program. We've been waiting a couple of years to grow our youngest to at least 7 before introducing a canine to the family. A couple of our neighbors have dogs and we've been discussing the idea now for the past 2 years. We're there!

We did a fairly thorough research on most dog breeds and the Greyhound fit all the parameters we wanted in a dog. Initially, we knew a pure bred, high strung "trendy" type of dog was not for us. Like when 101 and 102 Dalmations movies came out everyone had to have one.'nuff said. Here in Utah the trend seems to be teeny tiny cutesy mini-dogs. Again...just not what we were looking for. Our oldest son Joey adopted a pound mutt, named him Nero, and has a friend for life. Joey's pound adoption was a stimulus for us to start the breed research or decide on a mixed breed rescue. And then we focused the magnifying glass closely on the GH breed only. What a surprise! We had no clue about retired racers, greyhound adopting or anything at all about this elegant, royal breed. Just ordered the Retired Racers for Dummies book (should be here this week) and have read one of C. Branigan's works this past week. So the decision has been made and we're a month or so off from our adoption. Our summer calendar has a few items - like a wedding back east, an Alaska fishing trip and a family vacation to get out of the way so that we're settled down for the balance of the year to welcome a new family member. My wife and I have looked at more than a few websites and found several based in our area. Like - 2nd chance GH, the GH gang and a Salt Lake chapter of GPA to name the headliners.

We're been to one M&G at 2nd Chance GH 's home and met their personal pack of beauties (6, I think) which includes fawns, black, B&W, brindles and a white IIRC. John and Connie were very gracious as were their hounds. They ( LUCKY US! ) live less than 5 miles from our home and are a kennel and boarding business as well. There's another meet and greet this Friday and we'll take the children along to get an idea of what they're getting into. The kids are very excited. The baby proofing of the house hasn't been done yet but we're looking at potential play toys for our adoptee and raising them up a few feet. We have a 1/2 acre lot with the house at the front leaving the lion's share as the back yard with a 6 foot vinyl fence as do all the neighbors.

Well enough rambling...here's a pic of our young son with his big brother's Nero playing. And a family shot of us relaxing on a boulder up a canyon near the house.

Looking forward to learning much from this site and getting to know you a little.

SteveO

dsc0700h.jpg

p5060024k.jpg

Edited by SteveO

:wave Welcome! You've found the right community, that's for sure. We've only been owned by a GH for a little over a year but are now completely hooked.

:rules say that you gotta post pics as soon as you adopt :D

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Hi Steve, Shelly, kids & Nero!!

This is a great site - but can be very addicting!!! (As can greys!)

Welcome from Maryland, back-east!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

:welcome from Miami! So happy that you have joined us and I'm glad to see the thoughfulness, research and planning that has gone into your decision to add a dog to the family.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest meggera

Welcome Steve, Shelly, children and Nero!

John and Connie from 2nd Chance Greyhounds are so fantastic, they have/are making our new family member addition such a great transition. I am in love with their six friendly hounds! I'm also glad you are going to be reading Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies. It is such a wealth of information that I have dog eared and marked up (and I probably will continue to do so). Vanille and I will be doing some volunteering at the meet & greets in the future so we may end up bumping into you! I cannot say enough good things about greyhounds and 2nd Chance Greyhounds.

I look forward for further updates.

Megan

Guest SteveO

Welcome Steve, Shelly, children and Nero!

John and Connie from 2nd Chance Greyhounds are so fantastic, they have/are making our new family member addition such a great transition. I am in love with their six friendly hounds! I'm also glad you are going to be reading Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies. It is such a wealth of information that I have dog eared and marked up (and I probably will continue to do so). Vanille and I will be doing some volunteering at the meet & greets in the future so we may end up bumping into you! I cannot say enough good things about greyhounds and 2nd Chance Greyhounds.

I look forward for further updates.

Megan

Megan,

thanks for the reply and thumbs up vote for John, Connie and their outfit. We spent over an hour with them and their pack a couple Fridays ago. Most of the hounds were muzzled but still enjoyed us. One, the young brindle boy kept trying to kiss me through his muzzle until I realized I had just eaten some sliced roast beef with BBQ dip and had gotten some on and around my goatee! Plus the beef breath exuding from my mouth. He was sniffing and trying to lick the flavor!! LOL! then he plopped on his bed and lay his head in my lap. I was kneeling down to visit each one. I guess they ALL liked the human with roast beef breath! The older black just stood by my wife with head under her hand nudging the entire time. i could have taken all 6 home with me right then. I'm hoping we will be able to acquire more than one GH. I really like the idea of fostering as well as taking in the elderly boys and girls and giving them a loving home in their twilight years. We'll see...

SteveO

PS- again I'm unable to answer PMs, yet.

Guest meggera

SteveO,

Don't worry I cannot use the PM system yet either since I am still a newbie pup. It was just a notice letting you know that I went ahead and added you to my friend list. :D

Beef breath and BBQ sauce is one way to make friends! I believe the older black grey who was cuddling with your wife is Drifter and I immediately fell in love with him. The whole hour or more we spent there during our meet & greet he just kept his head on my thigh.

I also love the idea of fostering but it isn't in the cards for my family just yet. (We share a home with my sister's two dogs. They struggle enough as it is with accepting Vanille. I don't think they could handle it if there was another speedster in the home.)

After we visited my husband Jake said "I could bring any one of those six home with me today and be just fine! If John would let us I would take Drifter, I don't care if he has cancer. I would take him." That was a happy moment for me since he is more a cat person than a dog person.

Megan

Flying Nero looks cool!

I'm originally from North Carolina, as well, but haven't moved as far as you. Greyhounds are greyt no matter where you are.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest SteveO

Thanks, All, for the very warm welcome! I think I need to clarify one point in particular made in my introduction. It relates to the picture of Nero and our son Anson. As mentioned we have 7 kids total but only three live at home. The 'big kids' are all in their 20's and Nero lives with Joey in Virginia; not with us. We're still currently canine-less.........waahhh..... :crying . The shiny side of the coin though is that Nero's story is a major factor for us deciding to both acquire a dog and go the adoption route versus buying a puppy. Nero and Joey bonded very well and quickly after his pound rescue and our younger children who met him while on vacation ( the flying dog photo) helped my DW with her decision on adding a four legged family member. With the decision made we wanted to find the right breed for our family and I believe we have. The next two months June and July will include Joey's wedding in VA, a fishing trip in AK for me and preparing our home for a GH adoption. Our copy of GH's for Dummies arrived yesterday and after looking it over briefly I can see it will be required reading for all in the family down to the 7 year daughter - who is VERY excited to have this addition to the family.

This past Saturday we went back over to 2nd Chance Greyhounds here in Draper and visited again with John and Connie's lovely pack in order to introduce our children to some GH's. We all got mitts and rubbed down any willing participants who wanted grooming. Let me tell you the hair was flying! The kids want to go back and visit again! The wait - plus reading your posts on here is pure torture but I feel is a good thing to give us time to prep our home, educate ourselves as much as possible, and pick up a few beds, food, stuffies, toys and other necessities before our Gotcha Day arrives sometime right after Joey's wedding at the end of July. Right now my biggest struggle is choosing a color. I really dig the tiger striped Brindles!.....until I see a Tuxedo Blackie with grey face......or a Fawn.......or a white and black....or......hmmmm, maybe one of each? ;)

Guest meggera

Thanks, All, for the very warm welcome! I think I need to clarify one point in particular made in my introduction. It relates to the picture of Nero and our son Anson. As mentioned we have 7 kids total but only three live at home. The 'big kids' are all in their 20's and Nero lives with Joey in Virginia; not with us. We're still currently canine-less.........waahhh..... :crying . The shiny side of the coin though is that Nero's story is a major factor for us deciding to both acquire a dog and go the adoption route versus buying a puppy. Nero and Joey bonded very well and quickly after his pound rescue and our younger children who met him while on vacation ( the flying dog photo) helped my DW with her decision on adding a four legged family member. With the decision made we wanted to find the right breed for our family and I believe we have. The next two months June and July will include Joey's wedding in VA, a fishing trip in AK for me and preparing our home for a GH adoption. Our copy of GH's for Dummies arrived yesterday and after looking it over briefly I can see it will be required reading for all in the family down to the 7 year daughter - who is VERY excited to have this addition to the family.

This past Saturday we went back over to 2nd Chance Greyhounds here in Draper and visited again with John and Connie's lovely pack in order to introduce our children to some GH's. We all got mitts and rubbed down any willing participants who wanted grooming. Let me tell you the hair was flying! The kids want to go back and visit again! The wait - plus reading your posts on here is pure torture but I feel is a good thing to give us time to prep our home, educate ourselves as much as possible, and pick up a few beds, food, stuffies, toys and other necessities before our Gotcha Day arrives sometime right after Joey's wedding at the end of July. Right now my biggest struggle is choosing a color. I really dig the tiger striped Brindles!.....until I see a Tuxedo Blackie with grey face......or a Fawn.......or a white and black....or......hmmmm, maybe one of each? ;)

I totally agree, waiting is torture! But I think it is great that you are planning ahead and including Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies on your required reading list.

When it comes to coat color, good luck! I just told John "I don't care what color as long as her personality and temperament match our needs".

Welcome to your newest addiction and to GT :colgate Greyhounds are so easy to love, they are truely the sweetest, most endearing creatures!!

Edited by 3greys2cats

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten