Vet Not In On Weekends

Lexie is taking 500 mg twice a day for diarrhea however it is making her diarrhea worse. Can I cut the tablet in half? I may just up her tylan powder. She has been on the tylen for 4 years and kept things in check or should i wait till the flagyl is done? She has a very sensitive tummmy and I think it is too strong. Could that be possible. She weighs 58 pounds. ty for all helpul advice.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

You can split the tablet safely but, are you sure the medication is making her diarrhea worse? Flagyl is dispensed as a treatment for diarrhea and the only rare side effect iI'm aware of s neurological.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest kydie

for me,,, just me,,, if I thought a med was causing a side effect,,, I'd stop it,,, flagyl is a staple here for my GSP,, with good results,, but not all meds work for all pups :)

If you really think it's causing problems, I'd stop it altogether until you can check in with the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can absolutely give 250 mg. a day. That's what we did for two weeks as we were tapering Beth down from a full dose (then 250 mg. every other day for two more weeks). But if it is causing the problem, it might be best just not to give it it all.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Since Flagyl is pretty much the first line treatment for bad diarrhea, I also find it hard to believe that it's CAUSING it.

I know it seems odd being that this is usually the go-to drug for bouts of diarrhea, but appetite loss, constipation and diarrhea are the top 3 common side effects listed for Metronidazole (Flagyl)

http://www.drugs.com/metronidazole-side-effects.html

When you see your vet, ask about an injection of Cerenia. It's used to help calm the colon, whether the dog is vomiting or has diarrhea and seems to work faster than Flagyl.

Hope things are better in the morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

talked to vet this morning..he didn't want me to cut the pills in half but to stay on them a few more days..add rice to her dog food. He said if that doesnt work he may de worm her. she is on those preventives but he said sometimes they try it anyway... :huh

so i added rice and gave the whole pill ..a few hours later..boooommmmm really bad..my gut feeling says it is the pill.. and she cant have grains so the rice was a no no..lexie isnt the "normal dog" I think the vet forgot that :huh I may just stop the pill and up her tylen powder and the get another sample in a few days. What do u guys think? Of course I will let the vet know in the morning.