Suppliments For Leia

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia just turned 8 two weeks ago. I have noticed she has slowed down a bit and doesn't do zoomies much anymore. I don't think there is anything wrong, she is very healthy, I think she just doesn't want to any more.

What I want to do though is add some type of joint suppliments to her diet, above and beyond what is in her kibble. I assume something like glucosamine or something else. I was under the impression that Missing Link was a good supliment but after doing a search here many of you guys say it virtually does nothing. So I just want to know what you all give our senior pups to help them out. Now the probelm with Leaa is since she is fine, I am not sure I woul see results which is why I am asking for those that have seen results. I don't want to wait until she is creaky to start worrying about her. i want to be proactive, not reactive.

Thanks for anything you guys come up with.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Guest kydie

I'm almost 60 and I don't want to do zoomies anymore either :lol I give Milk thistle, calcium, dasuquin, fish oil and cholodin to the 12 year old,,,,(healthly as a horse) dasuquin, fish oil and calcium to the 6 and 8 year old,, and only calcuim and fish oil to the 4 year old, the humans here all get large amounts of supplements too,, so it is understandable I beleive in supplements for the 4 legged family members too :)

Guest FordRacingRon

I'm almost 60 and I don't want to do zoomies anymore either :lol I give Milk thistle, calcium, dasuquin, fish oil and cholodin to the 12 year old,,,,(healthly as a horse) dasuquin, fish oil and calcium to the 6 and 8 year old,, and only calcuim and fish oil to the 4 year old, the humans here all get large amounts of supplements too,, so it is understandable I beleive in supplements for the 4 legged family members too :)

In that respect, I too am almost 60 and would love to do zoomies,,however my knees would break after 10 steps (I do have torn menicus though) . We too gobble large a mount of suppliments to keep moving (we do walk 5+ miles a day and exercise).

But back to my dog,,Leia does get fish oil once a day with dinner. I was thinking a obut something else. The Dasuquin you mentioned was mentioned on other posts when I did a search on Missing Link.

I forgot to add, I give milk thistle too. I give it to Fletcher because he takes pain meds for his arthritis, and I figure it won't hurt the girls to get it also :)

edited to add, I am over 60, and definitely don't do zoomies :lol

Edited by Remolacha

Springtime!

VetMarket has great prices on many supplements and fast shipping.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Carl & Claire turned 8 in Feb.

I have Claire on Dasuquin (as recommended by my vet who also practices holistic for my beloved Sheila) as I noticed that when it is cold she has some stiffness getting up. Since I started her on the Dasuquin I haven't seen it again. I'll start Carl on it in a year or two or sooner, if needed. I've tried Fresh Factors and Longevity, both by Springtime and, while they seemed like good products, I've seen a lot more improvement with the Dasuquin. Sheila had arthritis in her back and the Longevity just stopped working for her, the Dasuquin really helped her with mobility in getting up and down with her sore back.

Carl is hypothyroid, so my vet has him on Drenatrophin by Standard Process to help support his adrenal gland.

Both get: Omega 3 fish oil pills from Costco (human grade); Evening Primrose oil caps 500mg; Vitamin C 500mg; and, Canine Basic Nutrients by Thorne, also recommended by my vet since I'm now feeding them raw.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest kydie

I use th Dasuquin with MSM,,, MSM aids in reducing imflamation in joints,, I get mine most reasonable from Vetdepot,, all dogs over 6 years old get it here, it was suggested to me 3 years ago for my old girl,, I noticed a big improvement in her movement in 2 weeks,, as each turns 6 I start them on it :)

P.S. checked out VetMarket,, prices there are really good :)

Edited by kydie

Guest FordRacingRon

I use Fresh Factors and Joint Health from www.springtimeinc.com have been using it for years with greyt results. My 11 1/2 yr old Kerri can keep up with my 7 yr old Abel when doing zooomies in the yard :)

I like that Fersh Factors,,think I will give that a go. Leia zipped around today so I know she isn't hurting yet,,but now I am worried about her eyes.

I use Fresh Factors and Joint Health from www.springtimeinc.com have been using it for years with greyt results. My 11 1/2 yr old Kerri can keep up with my 7 yr old Abel when doing zooomies in the yard :)

I like that Fersh Factors,,think I will give that a go. Leia zipped around today so I know she isn't hurting yet,,but now I am worried about her eyes.

I think you will be pleased with the Fresh Factors and Springtimeinc is a greyt company to deal with :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

What is making you worried about her eyes? I was giving Carl Ocuvite for his eyes when we didn't know what was going on with them. The real vet ophthalmologist thought it was a good idea. You could always give her lutein instead of Ocuvite. I was getting my Ocuvite at Costco for a great price, plus it goes on sale from time to time there.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest Swifthounds

People like these combo "sprinkles" like Fresh Factors, Missing Link, etc. I prefer to use individual, higher quality supplements so I know what I'm giving and can adjust and customize doses. I give glucosamine HCL (not the lower quality sulfate), chondroitin, MSM, fish oil, SAM-e, Boswellia and sometimes others.

For a dog like a greyhound, I begin supplementing at least with the glucosamine and fish oil when they retire or at age 3-4 and avoid noticing the decline that comes with the creeping onset of things like arthritis. I know others who don't supplement until their hounds are in double digits and that's their choice. I choose not to wait until the impairment is noticeable.

Guest FordRacingRon

What is making you worried about her eyes? I was giving Carl Ocuvite for his eyes when we didn't know what was going on with them. The real vet ophthalmologist thought it was a good idea. You could always give her lutein instead of Ocuvite. I was getting my Ocuvite at Costco for a great price, plus it goes on sale from time to time there.

One of her eyes has a slighly opaque blue tinge in one of the corners , that w as never there before. I did a search in the medical forum on cataracts and started reading some of the threads. Seems like many here have had to deal with it and for the most part things seem to go okay and no one seems to g et surgery for the condition,,,but one person asked in a thread to the person worrying about it "are you sure they are cataracts and not that slight blue tinge that some of them get when they are older?". That makes me curious as to what is this blue tinge he/she was talking about.

Fresh Factors and Joint Health here also.

One of her eyes has a slighly opaque blue tinge in one of the corners , that w as never there before. I did a search in the medical forum on cataracts and started reading some of the threads. Seems like many here have had to deal with it and for the most part things seem to go okay and no one seems to g et surgery for the condition,,,but one person asked in a thread to the person worrying about it "are you sure they are cataracts and not that slight blue tinge that some of them get when they are older?". That makes me curious as to what is this blue tinge he/she was talking about.

I would have the vet take a look. Pannus is not uncommon in greyhounds.

I would have the vet take a look. Pannus is not uncommon in greyhounds.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest kydie

a vet check is always good if in doubt,,,, it can also be the natural change in dogs eye lens,,, as they age,, the lens appears different,, not as clear as it once was :)

Guest FordRacingRon

You might want to check with an ophthalmologist, Carl was misdiagnosed by a general vet who said he had Pannus, but he didn't.

It is not on the lens though,,but on the inside edge and only 1 eye and only I have noticed. But sounds like my vet is going to be able to pay his car tags with what he will charge me,,again. But away we go.

You might want to check with an ophthalmologist, Carl was misdiagnosed by a general vet who said he had Pannus, but he didn't.

It is not on the lens though,,but on the inside edge and only 1 eye and only I have noticed. But sounds like my vet is going to be able to pay his car tags with what he will charge me,,again. But away we go.

I think I must own one of the rooms in her practice by now, too! Please keep us posted on what the vet has to say!

Guest mountain4greys

I use Sprintime's Longevity for our senior brood. It worked wonders. She runs like a puppy now. (she has arthritis)

Springtimes products are very good.

As far as eyes go, an Opthomologist would be in order. One of my greys has Pannus. The thing with Pannus is, the quicker the diagnosis, the better off it will be for your hounds eyesight.

Edited by mountain4greys

Guest greytkidsmom

Does anyone use Nupro?

I use Nupro. It seems to be helping my 10 year old Echo. It's hard to know for sure.

Another Nupro household here. Have been using it since we adopted our first over 5 years ago. We switched to the glucosamine formulation a couple of years ago when our oldest turned 7. He's 9 now and still loves his zoomies. I get a 20# bucket for just over $100 with free shipping from www.doggiefood.com. With 3 dogs, that bucket lasts for about 4 months (they get about 1 T twice daily as a maintenance dose). In addition to the Nupro, our pups get 2 fish oil capsules twice daily.