Why Have We Been Spending So Much On Fancy Food?

Guest KsFrets

I only feed my precious Bootsy grass-fed unicorn with the occasional cage-free platypus egg for a treat. Sure, it can be hard to find and it costs a lot, but I love him too much to feed him anything else.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only feed my precious Bootsy grass-fed unicorn with the occasional cage-free platypus egg for a treat. Sure, it can be hard to find and it costs a lot, but I love him too much to feed him anything else.

Passion would like to come live with you

:lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kydie

yes,, there were high end foods on that recall list,,,not made in the USA,, and again,, so glad I was not using these "high end" prducts,, like sicience diet, Eukaneuba, Imas, purina, these products were importing ingredients to make their food,, bags or cans will tell you made in the USA,, and more and more have placed that on their lable,, and many are not considered "high end" just average medium cost foods,, everyone does what is best for them,, for me made in the USA is first,, then I read ingredient list :)

The studies I've been able to find compare whole grains consumption to refined grain consumption

The studies I was referring to weren't refined/unrefined comparison studies. They're about including whole grains in the diet vs not including whole grains in the diet, and about what whole grains do in the body (talking humans here). :)

I'm a big believer in feeding dogs what dogs do well on. And that can vary quite a bit from dog to dog.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sheila

Hello. My name is Sheila and I am a reformed 'food snob'. I used to feed my dogs only the very best kibble that retailed for about $1.50 per lb. I supplemented that with veggie slop that I made myself with every fresh veggie on the market. That took me several hrs every month to make up. I added in fish and other supplements. Because I live in a rural area I was making a 70 mile round trip to provide these things for my dogs. I actually have joined in with the scolding about feeding less than high end foods. :blush

I only momentarily paused when my teenage DD bawled me out when she opened the fridge and found only fresh veggies. I reminded her that people could eat broccoli and cauliflower and carrots etc. too.

I paused a bit longer the time the check out guy at the grocery store complimented me on how 'healthy' I ate. Only thing was, 95% of what was in my cart was for the dogs. The only things I bought for myself that day were a bag of tortilla chips and some Mexican dip from the deli!

When the economy tanked, my paycheck dwindled, gas prices went through the roof I was forced to make some different choices. Segue to now. My dogs eat nothing but Purina One Chicken and Rice with virtually no add ins unless it's table scraps. They have been on this diet for 3 yrs and both are happy/healthy/energetic as all dogs should be. Even better yet is that we have a Nestle/Purina plant just a mile from my house and I have a contact there, so I pay just $17 for the 35lb bag.

While I would never feed Ol' Roy to my dogs, I have a work buddy who has been feeding this to her Doberman for over 11 yrs now and the dog is still going strong.

So.....as a former 'food snob' I officially apologize to all of those I may have scolded once upon a time. Whatever works is the mantra now.

yes,, there were high end foods on that recall list,,,not made in the USA,, and again,, so glad I was not using these "high end" prducts,, like sicience diet, Eukaneuba, Imas, purina....

Both Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo had products on the recall list. I'd consider them at least somewhat higher end foods. :dunno

I am beyond slamming people for what they feed their dogs. I've had to make adjustments myself in what I feed my dogs because of budget. The biggest problem I have is with a company that charges an inexhorbitant amount for a "prescription diet" when the ingredients are nearly identical to some of the lowest grade dog foods on the market that you pay a fraction of that price for.

Just say no. I did. my vet was pushing w/d for Poodle and I flat out said I'd feed my dogs corn, I'd feed my dogs biy products, but I was NOT feeding them celluose. He's been on Natural Balance Ultra Light for a year and doing fine. We tried Wellness Core like good little sheep after joining the diabetes forum but he does better on the Ultra Light so we switched back.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

I am a carb free raw feeder. Over the years I have fed everything from the cheapest kibble to the most expensive cuts of USDA prime. Should my situation change to where I had to go back to feeding kibble, my main concern would be who made it. Many of these companies have demonstrated horrible QA. With companies such as Procter & Gamble it is not a matter of if a recall happens, but when. There are several web sites that post recalls. You see the same companies year after year.

Guest Audeamus

That's great your greys are doing awesome on Purina. :)

For my lurcher it is one of the foods that go right through him, along with Eukanuba and Blue Buffalo.

I've noticed that the foods he does well on are : Acana wild prairie ( I think), Sweet potatoe and Vension (lid,nature's something ) and the Green Bag of Iams (he likes the mini chunks instead of the big dog chunks :lol).

Guest cruzNhounds

You do live in Funky Town :lol I'll have what Bootsy having, that's got to be some good sh*t man B) .

Guest 2dogs4cats

I think you have to look at the content of the food and then decide what is best for your pet. I don't think poop, cost or taste are accurate measures of "goodness". Examples: a banana cost 20 cents and a candy bar costs $1. Obviously doesn't mean the candy bar is better for you, but tastes better and I would choose to eat the candy bar if based on taste alone. Also, one person can eat junk food and poop normal, and another person would have diarrhea. Body compositions are different, but I still don't think it's an accurate measure that the food is good for you.

I don't criticize anyone for what they feed or eat, but I also don't think most people are food snobs. I think we all just try to feed the best that we can afford and what works for our pets.

I think this website does a good job of breaking down the ingredients in dog foods: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Guest WhiteWave

I don't think there is a right way or wrong way to feed dogs!

Over the years we have tried all sorts of diets. Raw works best, but right now we can't do it b/c of my work schedule, I haven't been able to get to our supplier and it is too expensive to buy from the grocery store for 10 dogs.

I few years ago, we had some major financial troubles and I bought a bag of Dog Chow b/c all I had was $20. Casper looked like crap in less than 2 weeks on it. Ear infections, dry skin and coat, weight loss. It did not work for him. I gave the food to a friend who fed it their dog who lived outside and looked great on the food.

Right now we are feeding Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken for nonallergy dogs and Salmon for the allergy dogs. Other than some gas, all 10 dogs are doing very well. It is costing me less to feed this food than Taste of the Wild b/c of the amount. On TOTW, Jasmine the Great Dane was on 7 cups a day and losing weight. She is down to 5 cups on NVI and maybe able to go a little lower. My other big dogs are all eating 1 cup less on NVI and coats look a ton better.

1 bag of NVI Chicken at 25lbs last one week with a Great Dane, Doberman, Greyhound, American Staffordshire Terrier, and pit bull mix eating it.

The salmon last almost 3 weeks with a Dogo, French Bulldog, Boston, Rat Terrier, and JRT mix eating it.

For a cheaper food, Diamond Hi Energy and Sportsmix in the black bag have worked well for my foster dogs. Also Enhance Hunters Edge.

You do live in Funky Town :lol I'll have what Bootsy having, that's got to be some good sh*t man B) .

:lol

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

:rotfl I am sort of getting watery eyed thinking about the unicorns being made into dog food. What's next -- Puff the Magic Dragon kibble? :sad1

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel
Puff the Magic Dragon kibble?

No way! You don't turn perfectly good dragon into Kibble. Dragon should only be fed raw, roasted or turned into canned food!

My issue with Purina does not have to do with food snobbery. It has to do with the fact that Purina has been caught red-handed throwing any and every thing into the vat at their rendering plants - with euthanized animals being one of their number one ingredients - therefore your pets are eating phenobarbital which can not be good for them no matter how firm their poos are. That is the reason I have stayed away from Purina products over the years (P.S. not only did they get caught grinding up dead dogs and cats for the food, but many of them still had collars on. How disgusting can you get.). That said, glad it's working for you, but it's something to consider with all the choice that still remains.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Not that I don't believe you... but do you have any links or anything about this? I'm quite curious, and I don't feed Purina.

Guest cruzNhounds

:rotfl I am sort of getting watery eyed thinking about the unicorns being made into dog food. What's next -- Puff the Magic Dragon kibble? :sad1

Yeah man puffy d kibble with organic mushrooms :eek

Guest KsFrets

I'd love to see some documentation as well. I spent some time googeling this, and found tons of conversation, speculation, accusations, opinions etc... but no official reports such as news, press releases, lawsuits, etc.

Edited by KsFrets

Guest kydie

for a list of the recalled dog food of 2007 : Melamine Contaminated Pet Food 2007 recall list:

I'm sure many of you will find the food you feed is NOT on there :)

Edited by kydie

Guest Whistle

My issue with Purina does not have to do with food snobbery. It has to do with the fact that Purina has been caught red-handed throwing any and every thing into the vat at their rendering plants - with euthanized animals being one of their number one ingredients - therefore your pets are eating phenobarbital which can not be good for them no matter how firm their poos are. That is the reason I have stayed away from Purina products over the years (P.S. not only did they get caught grinding up dead dogs and cats for the food, but many of them still had collars on. How disgusting can you get.). That said, glad it's working for you, but it's something to consider with all the choice that still remains.

I would like to know where you got this information as well.

The manager of the store where I buy my food refuses to sell me Taste of the Wild because someone at another food company has been telling her all the horror stories of things that happened at Diamond, maybe several years ago, maybe yesterday. Who knows? There are always stories circulating and there is always someone who will believe them and always someone who will doubt them. I believe we will never know the whole truth.