Why Have We Been Spending So Much On Fancy Food?

Guest KsFrets

If dogs are most certainly carnivores then why do a lot of the premium foods contain potatoes, carrots, spinach, brown rice, barley, berries, etc...? If they were really carnivores wouldn't they refuse to eat such things? Our dogs are not wolves, they are domesticated pets who would be happy if we just fed them table scraps. Corn is an excellent energy source. The only real reason corn gets a bad rap is because some dogs are allergic to it. It's just a vegetable for goodness sakes and it happens to be one I personally love to eat! I've never looked at it on my plate and thought "filler". LOL!

All I care about is that my dogs eat a food that won't give them a stomach ache which in turn causes paint peeling gas and produces inconsistantly formed poops. Some dogs can handle the richer foods and some can't. Unfortunately the dogs have no voice in the matter, they eat what we choose to feed them. Just because the ingredients listed on a bag of dog food makes us feel good about feeding it to them doesn't always mean it feels good to them when it's in their stomach. In my opinion whatever works for your dog and keeps him happy and healthy is all that really matters whether that is a premium food or a less expensive food! Would I pick a dog food where the first ingredient is not a meat meal source no but I certainly wouldn't exclude corn in the ingredients if my dogs do fine with it. :colgate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If dogs are most certainly carnivores then why do a lot of the premium foods contain potatoes, carrots, spinach, brown rice, barley, berries, etc...?

Berries, spinach, etc. are there for the sole purpose of making owners feel justified in spending lots of money on food. In the majority of "superpremium" foods blueberries and such are just before the vitamins on the bag. That's maybe how many blueberries and cranberries per bag?...20? Certainly not enough to any good, even if blueberries and cranberries were magic health potions for dogs.

Corn is an excellent energy source. The only real reason corn gets a bad rap is because some dogs are allergic to it. It's just a vegetable for goodness sakes and it happens to be one I personally love to eat! I've never looked at it on my plate and thought "filler". LOL!

:lol When I was doing my research for Rex I stumbled onto a "Superpremium" food website and they had a dog food comparison chart. On every competitors product corn was labeled as "cheap filler". Guess what? They had a formula with corn in it and that same corn was labeled "for quick energy and a shiny coat". Go figure.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest BrianRke

I've been feeding Nutro Venison and Brown Rice for quite a while now. Yesterday I went to PetSmart to get another bag and the price had gone up to $55.99/bag. Thats a huge jump. IMO this is a mid grade food and I will not pay that much for it. I can get Wellness or Castor & Pollux for that price. Im thinking of gradually switching to ProPlan.