Bee Sting Help

Ruby was just out in the yard and I heard the GSOD and looked out and she was hopping around like a crazy girl. I called her to me and she limped over, favoring a front paw. She came in and I checked her over and found nothing. She then started licking a different paw obsessively. It doesn't look swollen and she will let me look at it and touch it. I am assuming that she got stung by a bee. She then started panting like crazy (she does this though due to S.A.) so I laid down by her and started petting her. She immediately calmed down. Then I gave her a jerky treat which she gobbled down. She is now resting but off and on pants. She looks very comfortable. I called the vet and he said to watch for bloody mucousy diarrhea and if that happens, go to the E-VET.

Has anyone else experienced this ? What happened ? I am praying that she doesn't need to go in tonight since there is no way I can lift her and my husband is gone tonight. Just need reassurance. I am headed out to get Benadryl.

Karen

I actually picked the stinger out of Sunshine's paw last summer. She panted for a bit, I have her a Benedryl and iced her paw with an ice pack. She was asleep in 15 minutes. Give some extra cookies and she will most likely be fine.

------

Jessica

Robin stuck his face in a HUGE bee's nest last year. We counted at least 12 bees that came into the porch with/on him that we killed, and he got stung many times, most noticeably on his ears. :( I pulled a couple of stingers out of his ears.

He was panting for a while afterwards--I think the bee stings really hurt! It was clearly painful. We iced his ears and gave him some benadryl, and he settled down after a bit.

Hope your pup feels better!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

You can give 50 mg. of Benedryl just in case of an allergic reaction i.e. swelling, difficulty breathing. Ice works wonders also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Brogan was stung by something a few years back. I had taken Riley & Brogan for a run in the grassed in hockey rink nearby so they had muzzles on. She didn't react when she was stung, but when I was loading them in the car and removing her muzzle I noticed her face had swollen up twice it's normal size. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif It was frightening. It had happened so fast - and her eyes were starting to swell shut. I had heard benadryl was appropriate for allergic reactions, so I raced home and gave her one and called the vet to see if I could bring her in right away, and fortunately our vet was still in her office and available. The vet confirmed that was the right thing to do, but cautioned that you need to take care the version of benadryl you give to them only has the antihistamine - not anything extra that might harm them.

Her face took a few hours to go back to normal. We now have a supply of "the right kind" of benardyl in reserve for just such emergencies.

Kisses to Ruby kiss1.gif Feel better soon.

Kathy with Riley (Hoosier Baby) and Brogan (Cold B Brogan)