Eggs

We have our own happy hens that are laying up a storm these days. Whenever we come back to the house with their eggs, Tracker starts drooling and asking for one. We give him one of the littler eggs every other day, raw (he'll take it very carefully from our hand, carries it to his favorite treat eating spot in the yard, carves a little hole in the shell and sucks out the contents. It's so cute to watch). Any thoughts on how many eggs is too many, if there is such a thing? Does this amount seem fine?

Joseph gets 2-3 large, extra large, or jumbos every day with no problem. I've had other dogs get a bit sulfurous on more than one, but Joseph doesn't. Joseph's are usually cooked. He doesn't have your pupper's amazing skill :lol .

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Too many raw can interfere with the binding of Biotin, though I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism. Just repeating what the Biochemistry professor said.

When I had chickens, my dogs got a raw egg 3-4 times a week. They loved it!

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest Swifthounds

Too many raw can interfere with the binding of Biotin, though I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism. Just repeating what the Biochemistry professor said.

The avidin in egg whites binds to the biotin and can cause biotin deficiency. Cooking eliminates the problem by neutralizig the avidin, but affects other nutrients as well - plus, the raw egg is more enjoyable. Even raw, however, you need to feed a lot of raw egg whites to cause biotin deficiency - like double or triple digits.

You can easily avoid any issues with avidin by simply feeding the whole egg ( white and yolk) since the yolk contains biotin in abundance.

You can feed as many raw eggs as your dog enjoys. Just let bowel tolerance be your guide.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest KennelMom

You can easily avoid any issues with avidin by simply feeding the whole egg ( white and yolk) since the yolk contains biotin in abundance.

Ah yes, the beauty of a whole food. Nature knows what she's doing, eh ;)

The avidin in egg whites binds to the biotin and can cause biotin deficiency. Cooking eliminates the problem by neutralizig the avidin, but affects other nutrients as well - plus, the raw egg is more enjoyable. Even raw, however, you need to feed a lot of raw egg whites to cause biotin deficiency - like double or triple digits.

You can feed as many raw eggs as your dog enjoys. Just let bowel tolerance be your guide.

Thanks for clarifying. I've never fed raw eggs because I heard somewhere they weren't good for the dogs. I think my girls have a treat in store for them. :P

june

Edited by june

I cracked an egg for both boys yesterday and put the shell in with the food, since I'm pretty sure they would pick up the egg and run around the house with it in their mouth......Ryder crunched up the shell yesterday like a champ. LOL he left behind a little that he didn't want to deal with though. Kasey on the other hand won't go near the shell. Can't wait for the warmer weather when they can have a hay-day outside....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest chimni

Sofia gets a raw egg cracked over her kibble every other day. She loves it and I'd like to think it's helped her grow her coat back in.

What are the benefits of raw vs. Cooked? Which is better?

And how about the shell...throw that in there too?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Slightly off-topic, but I have another question about eggs:

I know that, with humans, we have a debate about the health benefits of eggs vs. the high cholesterol in eggs. Some individuals I know avoid eggs because they have high cholesterol. I ignore that, and I eat eggs because they are so high in vitamins and proteins, and low in calories.

But - is there any concern with the high cholesterol feeding them to the doggies? I like to boil eggs once a week, and I give Bernie a hard-boiled egg mixed in with his kibble maybe 2-3 times a week.

I don't know if that amount (a few meals a week,) is a good or bad amount of eggs???

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest kydie

dogs are not people,,, cholosteral in a human thing.. as for the the shells,,, I pop mine in the toaster oven for about 8 min. cool,, grind them up in a blender,, and put a few teaspoons on kibble a few times a week,,,, good calicum supplement

Guest Houndstown

We feed ours cooked eggs sometimes. Never thought about giving them to them raw. Pre wouldn't eat it out of the shell (he's too particular), but I'm going to try mixing a raw one in with his food tonight. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
Guest greymaroon

Sofia gets a raw egg cracked over her kibble every other day. She loves it and I'd like to think it's helped her grow her coat back in.

I know this is an old thread, but that seems like a great idea! I've been feeding Bhombolina the yolks from my boiled eggs, but I suppose that's different than feeding her the eggs raw?

• 3 weeks later...

I know lots of people that crack a raw egg over their dogs' food every day, for the protein benefeit, coat benefeit, etc. I don't do it every day, but a couple times a week, I throw a raw egg on top of the kibble. If I had chickens of my own - that produced extra - it would definately be every day! I've also shocked my friends that give raw egg on kibble - by telling them to leave the shell. Some dogs will eat it, some won't, but if they will, it's a fine calcium source. Some friends have come back to me SHOCKED that their dog LOVES the shell. Some, hate it.

My dogs also always get Sunday morning scrambled egg leftovers! YUMMMMY!!! Even the frying-pan scrapings!

Edited by sobesmom

Slightly off-topic, but I have another question about eggs:

I know that, with humans, we have a debate about the health benefits of eggs vs. the high cholesterol in eggs. Some individuals I know avoid eggs because they have high cholesterol. I ignore that, and I eat eggs because they are so high in vitamins and proteins, and low in calories.

But - is there any concern with the high cholesterol feeding them to the doggies? I like to boil eggs once a week, and I give Bernie a hard-boiled egg mixed in with his kibble maybe 2-3 times a week.

I don't know if that amount (a few meals a week,) is a good or bad amount of eggs???

Dogs just don't have cholesterol issues. No worries. Give eggs anytime - partial (like yolks if you're making a recipe that calls for only egg whites) sometimes - but whole - anytime! Raw is fine. Cooked is fine. Even the shells. Squash them in your hand to make them more palitble.

I've even heard of frozen raw eggs given outside as a dog's summertime treat.

I cook one dozen for 4 dogs,, once or twice a week,, eggs are a cheap protein,, and they love them :)

Thats what I think too. And the dogs love them. With the quality of eggs in the US today I'm afraid to give them raw. Therefore I cook eggs for them on Sat & Sun and I give them 4 eggs a piece fried and at least that much scrambled. Of course that also includes some bacon or hamburger patties cooked etc and some toast! They love their weekend "country breakfasts."

The rest of the time I feed raw. I can and do purchase nice safe clean farm raised raw meat for them to eat for all their other meals from My Pet Carnivore.

Edited by racindog

Guest Garwood

I have two ducks. A few weeks ago, after reading this thread, I started mixing a raw duck egg into my dog's morning food. He seems to enjoy it. He won't eat the shell, but the ducks will.

When I brought him home, my dog had 'dandruff'. I don't know if the eggs did the trick, but the dandruff is gone, now.