Flea Prevention

Guest FordRacingRon

I use Revolution and when I buy it through the vet they give me a free preventic collar. Win win. I go through the woods all the time and haven't had more than 1 or 2 ticks in over 2 years and we live in tick country. I've been very happy with it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Someone asked about what the permethrins do- they are a neurotoxin. It binds to sodium channels and shuts down the nervous system. It kills cats so you can not use it on your dog if you own a cat. Studies have also linked it to cancer and Parkinsons in humans. It's supposedly safe to use on dogs, including greyhounds, and is added to many flea products to control ticks. It is the active ingredient in pretty much all the tick collars.

The chemical you really want to avoid is PYRETHRINS They are the active ingredient in most of the Hartz products along with Bio-Spot sprays/dip (not spot-on), Happy Jack shampoo/dip, Sentry shampoo (not spot-ons,) AND ZODIAC... I have seen the reactions to these first hand. They cause seizures, muscle tremors, permanent neurological damage, and even death.

I'v also heard bad things about Vectra and Promeris. I don't have experience with Vectra, but I tried Promeris once and HATED it. It smells awful. I later did research and found that the active ingredient was taken off the market several years ago after a lot of really bad reactions.

Edited to add that the Banfield flea/tick is just re-packaged Vectra.

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

I checked with the Greyhound Wellness group at OSU and yippee! -- they use K9 Advantix, along with Heartgard, on all their blood donor dogs with NO adverse reactions. If it's good for OSU, it's good for me!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I had a recent conversation with my vet about dosage for the Comfortis - Piaget falls just over the 60 - 100 lb weight guideline and I asked if I should give her a full dosage or perhaps cut it some. Their advice and opinion is that it's better to dose on the high end rather than on the low end to make sure you get adequate protection. That being said, I've seen several here who only give 1/2 doses with success so maybe it just depends on how high the risk is for fleas where you are :dunno

Don't know if it's what you're asking about, but I know Capstar is a quick flea killer.....I don't think it's used for regular flea control though.

I'm one of those. :)

All 3 of mine fall in the middle of the 60-100 lb range and a half pill is still working for us. I figure why give them the extra if half is doing the job. That said, I would not be afraid to use the full dosage, as long as it's given with a meal. I've done it before and had no issues.

Guest FordRacingRon

Don't know if it's what you're asking about, but I know Capstar is a quick flea killer.....I don't think it's used for regular flea control though.

Capstar,,,thank you. I like to have it around IF whatever I am going to try to use on Leia doesn't work.

YOu know someone made a point, Frontline did stop working,,but perhaps it was the fact I bought it online when it became non-prescription available. MAybe I am buying factory resold rejects or something. I am thinking on getting it form the vet and see if it makes a difference.

k9 avantix,,huh.......

Guest GreyFan09

Capstar,,,thank you. I like to have it around IF whatever I am going to try to use on Leia doesn't work.

YOu know someone made a point, Frontline did stop working,,but perhaps it was the fact I bought it online when it became non-prescription available. MAybe I am buying factory resold rejects or something. I am thinking on getting it form the vet and see if it makes a difference.

k9 avantix,,huh.......

I got my Frontline from our Vet last year and it didn't work, so I'm not sure if that is the issue. May want to check if there is an expiration date on the box? Still considering alternatives for this year, and this thread has some good information on it.

I wish I would have known about Capstar last year. I found some Adams spray and that finally did the trick, but it was a horrible few months.

Guest FordRacingRon

[i got my Frontline from our Vet last year and it didn't work, so I'm not sure if that is the issue. May want to check if there is an expiration date on the box? Still considering alternatives for this year, and this thread has some good information on it.

I wish I would have known about Capstar last year. I found some Adams spray and that finally did the trick, but it was a horrible few months.

Yeah,,Capstar works but it is only for a day. Our group give s it to dogs as soon as they come north and get shuttled off the track prior to getting their regular treatment. Kills 99% of the fleas in 30 minutes.

Guest GreyFan09

I was told by someone who seems to be knowledgeable that most of flea problems come from places where there is lots of sand or sandy soil, which fleas thrive in. The soil around our house is mostly clay, which he said should not be a issue. However, we coincidently had our flea issue happen last year after taking Comet camping with us at a beach State Park where he spent a lot of time around sand. Just wondering if this is true, and if it could have contributed to our Flea Party of 2010.

I was told by someone who seems to be knowledgeable that most of flea problems come from places where there is lots of sand or sandy soil, which fleas thrive in. The soil around our house is mostly clay, which he said should not be a issue. However, we coincidently had our flea issue happen last year after taking Comet camping with us at a beach State Park where he spent a lot of time around sand. Just wondering if this is true, and if it could have contributed to our Flea Party of 2010.

Dunno about that. I live in "flea heaven" and clay soil is the predominant type. There ARE sand fleas in sand/sandy soil but they are different from flea fleas.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest mcsheltie

If you have overhead wires in your yard and squirrels running across them, you have the potential for a flea infestation in your yard.

Shipping temps affect drop-on flea control products. So that can account for online purchases not working. Different areas of the country can become resistant to certain products. I know when I show down south I have problems. Capstar is my friend. Up north the products I buy at my vets' still work.

I wrote a paper on flea resistance several years ago. Fleas multiply so rapidly. If people (or the drug companies themselves) would use Program in conjunction with their flea control, no resistance would have been able to develop.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

one of my three hounds hates any of the flea/tick time. He gets agitated, wont settle down, digs in his bed, basically just po'd. He will settle down after a few hours, then the next day, I wash off his back where I gave him the treatment. No biggie, it doesnt actually harm him, it just annoys him. Such is life, not everything can be rosy.

Chad

• 4 months later...

At the recommendation of saved2 we started using the lavender baby powder and have had good results. This time last year we were picking off a couple ticks a week - this year nothing. We have never had fleas. I like the BP because it's effectiveness and lack of poison :)

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Guest LindsaySF

For people that don't use a full dose of topical flea product, that could very well be leading to resistant fleas....

We had an issue last year with Frontline not working on my cats. Now I alternate Advantage and Frontline on the cats. I still use Frontline on the dogs.

I have cats so I would not use any products containing permethrins on the dogs. I also would NOT use pyrethrins on my dogs (Bio-Spot, Zodiac, etc), too many adverse reactions. I have used Adams Flea & Tick Mist (pyrethrins) on carpets and bedding, but I wouldn't put it on the dogs.

It just seems that the products like Frontline, etc, only kill the eggs that are already IN the skin == not the fleas that might jump onto their coat while they are playing in the grass.

Incorrect. Frontline kills adult fleas also. The effect is just not immediate. (Merial says within 12 hours). Frontline also kills ticks.

Here's a helpful chart comparing flea/tick products and their active ingredients: http://www.peteducat...=2+2094&aid=598

~Lindsay~

Guest sirsmom

At the recommendation of saved2 we started using the lavender baby powder and have had good results. This time last year we were picking off a couple ticks a week - this year nothing. We have never had fleas. I like the BP because it's effectiveness and lack of poison :)

What brand is it and where can you buy it. I'm so tired of the chemical smell in the flea&tick treatments. UGH It even makes me dizzy to be around the dogs.

Baby powder doesn't kill fleas. If you're using it and not seeing fleas, you could not use it and not see fleas -- there aren't any in your environment (lucky you!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What brand is it and where can you buy it. I'm so tired of the chemical smell in the flea&tick treatments. UGH It even makes me dizzy to be around the dogs.

Just plain ol' Johnson and Johnson, lavender and camomile baby powder. It works for us and makes the dogs smell good too!

Baby powder doesn't kill fleas. If you're using it and not seeing fleas, you could not use it and not see fleas -- there aren't any in your environment (lucky you!).

With all due respect, I did not ever say it kills fleas. I said we don't have them. Ticks are OUR biggest concern and problem and this solves OUR problem.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Doesn't kill ticks either, nor repel them. If you're using baby powder and not seeing ticks, you don't have them in the environment to the degree that you or the dogs are picking them up.

And for those wondering why I bother to post in response to these things, it drives me nuts when I go somewhere and encounter otherwise well-cared-for dogs that transmit fleas and ticks to others. I find that rude, among other things. My dogs are Frontlined. I am not.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

We don't have a tick problem, but use comfortis (if necessary) for fleas. The old wives tales home remedies don't work. I'm with Batmom on this one. Believe me, if I could sprinkle baby powder on my dogs and save the $$$$$ of buying comfortis, I would.

Guest Swifthounds

For people that don't use a full dose of topical flea product, that could very well be leading to resistant fleas....

:nod Yep. Same thing with giving ivermectin based HWT with pyrantel or other wormers added to "control" intestinal parasites. :rolleyes:

And for those wondering why I bother to post in response to these things, it drives me nuts when I go somewhere and encounter otherwise well-cared-for dogs that transmit fleas and ticks to others. I find that rude, among other things. My dogs are Frontlined. I am not.

What does that have to do with folks who use something that doesn't meet your approval and don't have issues with fleas/ticks?

Edited by Swifthounds

What does that have to do with folks who use something that doesn't meet your approval and don't have issues with fleas/ticks?

Ah. Many people use things that don't work, and their dogs and cats in fact HAVE fleas and ticks. Then I get fleas and ticks. Not much fun. Ticks "merely" creep me out and transmit all sorts of fine, difficult-to-treat diseases. I'm hideously allergic to flea bites.

In addition, none of the products that do work kill all critters instantly. The more people/pets carrying them around, the more chance that my pets and I (and many other people) will get bites, diseases, household and yard infestations, etc. Stinks.

The number of people whose dogs have fleas and who don't realize their dogs have fleas is beyond astounding. Kennel where I train even had somebody show up for a CGC test with a dog that was black with fleas. It's sad.

Edited by Batmom

Guest Swifthounds

Ah. Many people use things that don't work, and their dogs and cats in fact HAVE fleas and ticks. Then I get fleas and ticks. Not much fun. Ticks "merely" creep me out and transmit all sorts of fine, difficult-to-treat diseases. I'm hideously allergic to flea bites.

In addition, none of the products that do work kill all critters instantly. The more people/pets carrying them around, the more chance that my pets and I (and many other people) will get bites, diseases, household and yard infestations, etc. Stinks.

The number of people whose dogs have fleas and who don't realize their dogs have fleas is beyond astounding. Kennel where I train even had somebody show up for a CGC test with a dog that was black with fleas. It's sad.

So you really weren't talking about those who opt to not neurotoxin their dogs regularly just in case. Really, you were talking about oblivious, poor examples of dig owners. Those come in Frontline and non-Frontline varieties.

I'm talking about people who live in flea- and tick-heavy environments, whose dogs regularly get fleas and ticks, who choose not to treat them but to live with the infestation and spread it around wherever they go.

I have no problem with things that are neurotoxic to insects :) .

If people with no flea/tick problems want to put various harmless substances on their pets, fine with me. I just don't want those who DO have those problems thinking that those substances are useful.

Edited by Batmom

have you checked your home/yard? it sounds like they are picking them up locally. it might be time to fumigate the environment.

this is from the counterfit f/l discussion

tbhounds, on 27 August 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

Spoke to rep from Merial regarding a possible resistance -- all of their research points towards NO resistance. The company claims that if a flea infestation happens it's because of improper application of the product or do to an impostor product being used Merial will stand behind FL and will send out an exterminator if a problem arises only if the FL was purchased from your vets office.

Btw- most vet clinics will give a free application for every 3 purchased- 2 for every 6--- pretty good deal.

Edited by cleptogrey

I wonder if the reference to baby powder related to this ....

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a powder comprised of microskeletons of deceased diatoms, which are a type of algae (both fresh water and sea water varieties occur). You sprinkle the powder on your pets and your carpets, and the fleas die from dehydration. As a foster care provider for hundreds of dogs, this stuff has been a miracle. You can use it on dogs, puppies, kittens, and cats.

How it works:

When applied to the animal’s fur, DE scrubs on the hard exoskeletons of fleas. The tiny granules of silicon (think finely ground sand) work in the tiny holes of the flea’s respiratory system and in the joints of the fleas. Every time the flea moves or breathes, the silicon grinds away at the exoskeleton, eventually killing the flea through blocking/maiming the respiratory holes or by water loss, as the exoskeleton helps keep in the flea’s body water. It works the same way when applied to carpets instead of fur.

How to use it:

1) Wear a mask and put one on your pet. Even though it’s nontoxic, you don’t want to get it in your lungs.

2) Sprinkle the DE along your dry pet’s spine. Massage it along the body, working your way carefully to the extremities, avoiding the eyes.

3) Spread some diatomaceous earth on the carpets, brush it in and leave for about four days. Then vacuum it up to remove most of the fleas in the carpet.

4) Repeat the application frequently during an infestation. You should notice a decrease in fleas within a couple days.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-around-non-toxic-flea-control.html#ixzz1WL1YOQar

I got this from the link

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-around-non-toxic-flea-control.html