Torn Dew Claw....emergency?

Hi Guys...my Mango has had problems with a 'hot spot' on her left leg...as long as she leaves it alone there's no problem...as an aid I've been putting on a cut down long sleeve t-shirt instead of a muzzle ...about an hour ago she managed to catch her dew claw in the sleeve and tear it loose...I bandaged it up to stop bleeding and she seems o.k....not limping or displaying pain..my question is should I take her to an emergency vet on a Sunday afternoon and spend big bucks or can it wait until tomorrow...it's obviously not life threatening ...advice please

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

Tore the nail or tore the flesh? Either way, as long as it's not a flesh wound down to the bone and the bleeding's stopped, she can wait till tomorrow. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hmm, I'd say as long as the bleeding is under control, you can likely wait. As mentioned above, is a flesh tear involved? I could only imagine the "webbing" on the dew claw has been compromised. I often look at the boys dew claws and wonder, what if it ever got caught somewhere? Just ensure the wound is clean to prevent infection.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Grace ripped her entire dew claw nail out one day. I stopped the bleeding, never went to the vet. Kept it clean. It healed just fine, it just never grew back. She still had the joint and a tiny little nub that I dremmel down every now and again.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest mirthlesstroll

Melody ripped a dew claw nail off a while ago. I just wrapped it with a nonstick pad, some gauze and vet wrap. I changed the wrap every day to check for infection. The claw grew back after a couple of months. If you have basic first aid skills, and it doesn't get infected, then a vet visit is probably not necessary.

Paul got his dew claw caught in the steps of a motel while we were at Greyhound Expo a few years ago. Since we were out of town, and it was over the weekend, we cleaned it, vet wrapped it and made a vet appointment when we got home. When the doctor removed the wrap, the nail came with it. No bleeding and it was fine. Give it a day or two, and you may not even need to go to the vet.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Shermanator

We were out of town when Sheman broke his dew claw @ the nailbed. We were in CA, in a beach front house with no first aid supplies on hand, for fear of infection (from sand,) and our first experience with a broken dew claw, we when to the evet. (What a way to start vacation!) Recently, Travel did the same thing, and it was broken at the nail, but was still partically attached. We wrapped her up, and saw the vet the next day to remove it. No problem :)

Nala went to the vet today for a nail problem. She did something last night. Bled like crazy!!!!! I didn't want to do a evet run either. Bleeding stopped finally so I waited till today. She broke her nail off all the way back at the bone. They put her out, removed it, cleaned it and gave us antibiotics. Bandaged for 5 days.

If you got the bleeding to stop, clean and wrap it. Not worth a evet.

The Girls

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly broke his dewclaw in half in Dec, when we had several feet of snow on the ground and no way of getting to the vet. Not much bleeding thank doG so I washed it with salt water, then made sure it was wrapped when we went out. It healed up with no problems and we never did have to go to the vet for it.