Effects Of Manuka Honey For Ibd

First my apologies to the rats whose lives were taken in this case to help prove the benefits of Manuka honey and to those who oppose all animal testing for that matter, as do I. But I thought that those with IBD dogs or those suffering from colitis would find this helpful. I've mentioned Manuka honey before for digestive problems and I do understand the hesitancy in trying anything with a dog diagnosed with IBD unless something has been tested and shown to have positive effects. This study shows that the use of Manuka honey does help in cases of IBD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18688794

Effect of different doses of Manuka honey in experimentally induced inflammatory bowel disease in rats.

Prakash A, Medhi B, Avti PK, Saikia UN, Pandhi P, Khanduja KL.

Department of Pharmacology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh-160012, India.

Abstract

To evaluate the effect of different doses of Manuka honey in experimentally induced inflammatory bowel disease in rats. Adult Wistar rats of either sex were used (n = 30). Colitis was induced by a single intracolonic administration of TNBS dissolved in 35% ethanol. The rats (n = 30) were divided into five groups (n = 6) and were treated with vehicle (ethanol), TNBS, Manuka honey (5 g/kg, p.o.), Manuka honey (10 g/kg, p.o.) or sulfasalazine (360 mg/kg, p.o.) body weight for 14 days. After completion of treatment, the animals were killed and the following parameters were assessed: morphological score, histological score and different antioxidant parameters. Manuka honey at different doses provided protection against TNBS-induced colonic damage. There was significant protection with Manuka honey 5 g/kg as well as with 10 g/kg body weight compared with the control (p < 0.001). All the treated groups showed reduced colonic inflammation and all the biochemical parameters were significantly reduced compared with the control in the Manuka honey treated groups (p < 0.001). Manuka honey at different doses restored lipid peroxidation as well as improved antioxidant parameters. Morphological and histological scores were significantly reduced in the low dose Manuka honey treated group (p < 0.001). In the inflammatory model of colitis, oral administration of Manuka honey 5 g/kg and Manuka honey 10 g/kg body weight significantly reduced the colonic inflammation. The present study indicates that Manuka honey is efficacious in the TNBS-induced rat colitis model, but these results require further confirmation in human studies.

PMID: 18688794 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by 4My2Greys

PubMed is terrific, thank you for this post.

I had toyed with giving Manuka honey to one of my boys, and tonight on my way home from work I picked up a jar and offered some to him. With peanut butter, which he loves. I've never seen such stinkeye. :puke Congratulating myself on buying the small jar ...

I would love to hear from others who have a more positive experience than we did.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks for posting this.....you had mentioned Manuka honey before to me, so I have poking around a bit about it for my Dustin!!! This provides some great information.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I had toyed with giving Manuka honey to one of my boys, and tonight on my way home from work I picked up a jar and offered some to him. With peanut butter, which he loves. I've never seen such stinkeye. :puke Congratulating myself on buying the small jar ...

I would love to hear from others who have a more positive experience than we did.

Maybe the combination is what tasted bad to him. I give to all mine straight off a spoon and they lick it all off with no problem. I have to admit it does have an odd odor, kinda smells like sweaty gym socks. If your pup gets the gurglies this stuff really helps and is much healthier than giving Pepcid and has more benefits overall.

Guest ravenchilde

I totally intend on picking up this product. Miley is currently on 500mg x2 per day of Metronidazole for IBD, and eventually we'd like to get her off the AB's all together. Do you find that the Manuka honey works when there is a flare up? When do you administer the honey? When a flare up happens or as a prophylactic? How long does it take to firm things up?

Edited by ravenchilde

My pups have loved in it homemade frosty paws: plain yogurt, a banana, some peanut butter & manuka honey. Not something you'd serve to an IBD dog perhaps but yummy nonetheless. Also wonderful to have on hand for wound care & will never go bad so you've made a good purchase regardless. smile.gif

I don't think I could eat it straight - maybe make a little syrup & add to their food?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Maybe the combination is what tasted bad to him. I give to all mine straight off a spoon and they lick it all off with no problem. I have to admit it does have an odd odor, kinda smells like sweaty gym socks. If your pup gets the gurglies this stuff really helps and is much healthier than giving Pepcid and has more benefits overall.

It does have a strong, earthy odor. He gave me the stinkeye when it was offered straight-up :rolleyes: I tried tempting him with the peanut butter b/c that is the one food he eats reliably.

My pups have loved in it homemade frosty paws: plain yogurt, a banana, some peanut butter & manuka honey. Not something you'd serve to an IBD dog perhaps but yummy nonetheless. Also wonderful to have on hand for wound care & will never go bad so you've made a good purchase regardless. smile.gif

I don't think I could eat it straight - maybe make a little syrup & add to their food?

I am envious of you guys with hounds who eat all those goodies. No yogurt, 'nanas, and apparently manuka honey here. The syrup sounds like a good idea to try with him, tho, I'll do that tomorrow. :goodluck

How much do you offer at a time? Thanks!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest 2dogs4cats

I actually eat it straight. I think it tastes fine, maybe a little mediciny. (It's great for avid reflux) My pups pretty much eat anything balled up in some ground beef. I also used it on Chance's surgical wound. The stuff is awesome.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I was having some real GI tract problems after taking sulfasalazine for rheumatoid arthritis. I went to the cupboard and grabbed the manuka honey out of desperation. I had some that I'd purchased to help with wound healing (and it did help :) ) I took a small spoonful every day and guess what, it helped! I am no longer on sulfasalazine but the effects lingered for awhile after I changed to a different med. I am all better now :) I actually like the taste of manuka honey, it is kind of medicine-y!

Guest manawatugal

Sorry haven't read the document yet but if you want to use Manuka Honey for medicinal purposes makes sure it's UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) rating is at least 10. This measures the specific antibacterial strength of the honey.

By the way Manuka here in New Zealand where it originates from is really expensive. The higher the UMF the more expensive it is. I was just debating whether to get some for medicinal purposes yesterday!?

FiveRoooooers I give a little less than a tsp, but I've read a tsp is what is recommended.

mychip1 I hope you will give it a try for Dustin. I really believe it would help him.

Ravenchilde I can't specifically speak for an IBD flare up, but Nadir has had numerous bouts of gurgly stomach, loss of appetite, along with diarrhea, often times which was bloody. He's been put on Metronidazole. Now whenever the gurglies start and I notice stools loose I give him some Manuka honey for about 3-4 meals and that usually does the trick. I've had stools firm up in a day, but depending how bad the flare up is it could take longer. I am only giving it to treat flare ups, but I think in cases of IBD it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the teaspoon before meals during flare up, but also continue to give maybe a 1/2 tsp daily for continued treatment for a while.

2dogs4cats and Fullmetalfrank thanks for posting positive about this. I think the more good experiences people read from people they know will help them. What's really interesting is Sulfasalazine is what is used often times to treat IBD, but it was giving you problems Fullmetalfrank and the Manuka honey helped with that. 2dogs4cats I treated a very nasty wound on Nadir with great success using this stuff.

manawatugal thank you for mentioning UMF rating. I've mentioned it in other threads when I've brought up Manuka honey but had not done here. I have 2 Manuka honeys I use, one with a 15+ rating and another that has a 16+ rating. I paid $28 for a 17.6 oz. jar of 16+ Wedderspoons 100% Raw Manuka honey. It says it's a product of New Zealand. I'm going to have to read the company's website and see if that's the case. How much would you pay for a honey with the same UMF?

I have thought of trying this for Fletcher (IBD), but he doesn't like regular honey, so I guess I'd have to hide it, maybe mix it with his pumpkin? I think I will get some and try it, if he won't eat it, there's always wound healing.

Thanks for posting the article!

I was having some real GI tract problems after taking sulfasalazine for rheumatoid arthritis. I went to the cupboard and grabbed the manuka honey out of desperation. I had some that I'd purchased to help with wound healing (and it did help :) ) I took a small spoonful every day and guess what, it helped! I am no longer on sulfasalazine but the effects lingered for awhile after I changed to a different med. I am all better now :) I actually like the taste of manuka honey, it is kind of medicine-y!

Thanks for posting that. I have bad GI problems off and on -- I'm on right now -- and was wondering about the manuka honey. I was told to take sulfasalazine for my gut problems and joint issues but it made the diarrhea worse, not better. Entocort works but the honey sounds like a better choice and something to keep around the house. Some people give it to their corn dogs and it often works for that too. Then there's the reflux issue!

Guest sweetpea

Ooooh me too, me tooo!

Sweetpea has the cyclical gurglies (I don't want to jinx it by saying "had").

Her appetite goes in the tank when the gurglies are approaching, so when she

turned her nose up at breakfast, I gave her 1 tsp of Manuka.

At lunch time she still hadn't eaten, so I gave her another tsp of Manuka.

Dinner time, one more tsp of Manuka, and she ate.

That's the quickest turn around from pre-gurglies to resolution ever.

She licks it right off the spoon. I've never had trouble getting her to take it.

I feel so much better giving her something "natural", and it is so much more effective than pepcid ever was.

I only tried it because 4my2greys posted about it in one of my gurgly tummy threads (THANKS for that, by the way!)

Two thumbs plus also 4 paws up for Manuka honey from this house.

Buzzy

Ooooh me too, me tooo!

Sweetpea has the cyclical gurglies (I don't want to jinx it by saying "had").

Her appetite goes in the tank when the gurglies are approaching, so when she

turned her nose up at breakfast, I gave her 1 tsp of Manuka.

At lunch time she still hadn't eaten, so I gave her another tsp of Manuka.

Dinner time, one more tsp of Manuka, and she ate.

That's the quickest turn around from pre-gurglies to resolution ever.

She licks it right off the spoon. I've never had trouble getting her to take it.

I feel so much better giving her something "natural", and it is so much more effective than pepcid ever was.

I only tried it because 4my2greys posted about it in one of my gurgly tummy threads (THANKS for that, by the way!)

Buzzy

Interesting b/c my problem started with the gurglies 3 days before all he** broke loose yesterday! I have regular honey. Could I take that until I get the manuka?

OT: I love your siggie; she really is a sweet pea among the tulips. :)

Guest manawatugal

FiveRoooooers I give a little less than a tsp, but I've read a tsp is what is recommended.

mychip1 I hope you will give it a try for Dustin. I really believe it would help him.

Ravenchilde I can't specifically speak for an IBD flare up, but Nadir has had numerous bouts of gurgly stomach, loss of appetite, along with diarrhea, often times which was bloody. He's been put on Metronidazole. Now whenever the gurglies start and I notice stools loose I give him some Manuka honey for about 3-4 meals and that usually does the trick. I've had stools firm up in a day, but depending how bad the flare up is it could take longer. I am only giving it to treat flare ups, but I think in cases of IBD it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the teaspoon before meals during flare up, but also continue to give maybe a 1/2 tsp daily for continued treatment for a while.

2dogs4cats and Fullmetalfrank thanks for posting positive about this. I think the more good experiences people read from people they know will help them. What's really interesting is Sulfasalazine is what is used often times to treat IBD, but it was giving you problems Fullmetalfrank and the Manuka honey helped with that. 2dogs4cats I treated a very nasty wound on Nadir with great success using this stuff.

manawatugal thank you for mentioning UMF rating. I've mentioned it in other threads when I've brought up Manuka honey but had not done here. I have 2 Manuka honeys I use, one with a 15+ rating and another that has a 16+ rating. I paid $28 for a 17.6 oz. jar of 16+ Wedderspoons 100% Raw Manuka honey. It says it's a product of New Zealand. I'm going to have to read the company's website and see if that's the case. How much would you pay for a honey with the same UMF?

Guest manawatugal

I'll try again with my answer, having problems highlighting specific parts of another post and then adding in my bit! oh well. Anyway to answer the question from 4my2greys a good UMF 15+ Manuka Honey here for a 250ml/8oz jar would probably cost NZ$35 which is about US$27. The Manuka plant is highly prized for it's antibacterial and antifungal properties. Just make sure the honey you purchase in USA is raw honey. I always thought they processed/heat treated honey exported to US but I might be wrong. The UK is also producing Manuka honey but it is much more expensive than even ours and is only produced in one or two places. New Zealand continues to produce and export a lot of the manuka produced. Manuka oil is also very good for medicinal use if you can get it. I know that Living Nature use it extensively in their natural skincare range. It doesn't have the nicest smell though. Waikato University here in NZ have done quite a lot of research on the subject and you should be able to find it easily enough if you search.

manawatugal it is raw unpasteurized Manuka honey that I am getting. I'm going to have to check out the Manuka oil. I found a really good article on Manuka honey on the Waikato website.

Where are you getting your supply? Google offers a dizzying array of possibilities!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

manawatugal it is raw unpasteurized Manuka honey that I am getting. I'm going to have to check out the Manuka oil. I found a really good article on Manuka honey on the Waikato website.

Where are you getting your supply? Google offers a dizzying array of possibilities!

Well it appears I may need to do more reading. I thought Hi-Active and UMF ratings were the same. Mine have a Hi-Active rating of 16+ and I have had good results with it. I would like to get some though that had the UMF rating. I wonder what kind Buzzy used for Sweetpea.

Buzzy

Buzzy, we're wondering where you get your supply! :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest sweetpea

Buzzy

Buzzy, we're wondering where you get your supply! :)

Specifically what brand is it and did yours have the UMF rating?

Oops, sorry, I had to go to a birthday party, hold on!

It's called Premium Organic Manuka Honey, Bio-active healing power 15+

manukahoney.jpg

I bought at a local vitamin store, it's the only brand they carry and I didn't want to wait

for anything I might order online to be shipped to me.

All I know is, it worked wonders for us!

Good luck!

Buzzy

Buzzy, thanks for this info. The Manuka I picked up at the health food store is from NZ but there isn't a number on it, and while there were many brands of honey on the shelves, only two were NZ Manuka (the other was a different brand and a much larger bottle than the one I bought but still, no number). From my understanding of this thread, all Manuka is not created equal. Do I need to ask the store owners about the numbers? There is another health food store nearby that I will check this week to see what they carry. This is a very informative thread, thanks again.