Magic Doesn't Like The Vet's Scale

Magic doesn't appear to have any problem going to the vet for any reason. He'll walk in just like he will anywhere. However, when it comes time to weigh him, he won't get on the scale without being lifted on by the vet techs. I'm not sure if he's scared or just doesn't want anyone to know what he weighs. Someone said it could be the lack of color contrast on some scales.

Does anyone else's dogs (hound or otherwise) seem to have an issue with the scale?

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Some of my dogs hop right onto the scale and some don't, and I have no idea why one would and one won't! My spooky greyhound gal has no problem with it at all, so I don't think it's fear since she is terrified of anything that entails her to go out of her comfort area of home. My blind dog I had to lift on, but that's kind of understandable. My Poodle is comfortable in most any situation and he jumps up and stays until he's told to get down. Lulu gets up, but I had a hard time getting her to stand still. And Cali wasn't going to do it for anyone, no way no how, I had to lift her up too. I don't know, no rhyme nor reason that I can see.

Guest goofydog

Funny you should ask. We just got back from Get Em's 6 month post-op eye removal visit and while they had him in the back I heard a skirmish. Lot's of 'good boy', 'it's okay' talk going on and I knew they were trying to get him on the scale! Something about that particular thing just makes him a little whacko. He's fine as soon as he steps off of it and as long as it doesn't have to happen on a frequent basis it's not something I worry about.

Carol,

Booker will walk right on to the scale.....no problem. Miss Bella starts to shake just seeing it. We have to PUT her on it. Every hound is different. I wouldn't worry about it. Magic is just Magic. They all have little quirks. Hugs to your sweet boy.

Jan

Thanks for the comments. I'm not worried about it; it just seems strange how Magic doesn't mind going to the vet. He stands still for shots and exams but doesn't like the scale.

I was basically more curious as to whether any other dogs didn't like the scale. Of course, it's also very possible he doesn't want anyone (especially me) to know how much he weighs. If he weighs too much, his cookie count may go down.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

None of mine like to stand on the scale and it's on the floor! I must admit, I certainly don't like getting on the scale at the doctor's office, either! Must be genetic. :lol

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Kasey pulls out all the stops so he doesn't walk onto the scale.....legs full out - NO MOM. LOL Ryder just walks right on.

I think it helps if the scale has a mat covering it. I noticed Kasey would panic more at scales that were ONLY stainless steel and not covered because he would have zero grip. Once we pick him up and put him on it he's fine, although he tries to sneak a leg or two off in either direction when we aren't looking.....sneaky bugger.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I must say, my vets office knows what to do. They have purchased the scales that are actually the exam table at the same time. The top of the scale is covered in a 2" thick matt, and it electrically lifts and lowers. When you come into the room, it is at floor level, when the vet comes in, they simply raise the table to a comfortable height and its as easy as pie. In fact my boy Bart loves the vets office, he gets into the room and lays down on the table. He doesnt want to stand up when the vet comes in.

Chad

I had a vet tech tell me one time that it looks like a black hole to them. Neither Nedra nor Delta will get on willing, putting the brakes on big time. Fortunately, I can still lift them. Ruger gets beside it and I just nudge him over until he's on it. :P

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest iLoveLucie

Lucie isn't spooked by the scale, but she will no stand still/stay on it either. I usually try to remember to bring some good treats to lure her up there and get her to stand still, but she is all about walking on and walking off, meeting the vet techs, trying to find the other dogs. The last time I was in, I ended up holding her there with a big hug - and the tech subtracted a few pounds I might have contributed... Probably not her most precise weigh in!

You can actually train your dog to get used to the scale. Get a board about the same size as the scale and place it flat on the floor. Give your dog a command such as "get up" to indicate you want her to get on the board and gently lead the dog up using, if you need to, a premium treat. When the dog has at least one paw on the board "click" and give the treat. Gradually work up until all four paws are on the board. Take you time.

When the dog will quietly step up onto the board with only the verbal command it is time to move to the next step. Place something very small under one side of the board and give the command. The board will move but be quick and as soon as one paw touches the board "click" and give a treat. With time your dog will get used to the little movement and will get on the board with just your verbal command.

I actually take it one step further and teach them to "stand" once they get on the board and give them a release "off" when I want them to step down.

Good luck,

june

Odd, given the dogs are weighed quite often while racing.

Mine know exactly what to do - get on it and stand still. They don't even try to get off until we tell them it's ok.

that's why it never phased emily, after 168 weigh-ins, she probably thought "what took them so long?"

Edited by cleptogrey

Odd, given the dogs are weighed quite often while racing.

Mine know exactly what to do - get on it and stand still. They don't even try to get off until we tell them it's ok.

that's why it never phased emily, after 168 weigh-ins, she probably thought "what took them so long?"

That's why I don't understand Magic's issue with the scale. He had 196 races. As I tell everyone, he takes retirement very seriously. Maybe he thinks that he's going to race again, but I still think he doesn't want me to know his weight so I don't cut his cookie count down.