Kelly No Better

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

This morning, Kelly started behaving strangely on his walk - see here for the full story. 3 hours later he is still trembling and panting and his heart rate is up. He is not pacing as much but something's definitely 'off'. He also seems very subdued. I am starting to think he is in pain somewhere but I can't work out where, and that the fear reaction maybe happened because of this.

I have come home from work and we're off to the vet soon to get him checked over, but in the meantime please could we have some prayers and good thoughts that this will turn out to be nothing serious. Thank you. sad.gif

ETA - he is laying down ok, but seems really jumpy - jerking his head round at the slightest noise etc. And he feels pretty warm, too.

Edited by Stripeyfan

Guest fringepup

We are here for you all! I am glad you are taking Kelly to the doctor. We will send you all of our thoughts, prayers and hope for Kelly!

:hope :hope :hope :hope

Read both your posts and it seems strange Kelly is still acting this way. Good luck at the vet, I hope it's nothing serious and he's back to his same old self soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Stripeyfan

Thank you! He is a little calmer now but still very subdued - tail between his legs and really nervous. Even when he's in the grips of his firework phobia the anxiety hasn't gone on like this. So I'm pretty certain this isn't just fear. Vet opens in an hour and we will be waiting at the door!

Poor bug, and poor worried person. Hope all will be well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope all is ok with Kelly. I will say that hounds can have odd things that make them anxious. I was at a meet and greet with one of our hounds. He is a very laid back hound. A saxaphone started playing and Cosmo's ears perked up. I didn't react but kept an eye on him. A couple minutes later, as the saxophone continued, Cosmo went into full panic mode trying to frantically flee. We ended up leaving because he was so stressed and I was afraid of losing him dispite having a secure harness on him. Cosmo panted on the ride home and continued to pant for a full hour when we got home. I have since desensitized him to the sound of saxaphones (just in case we ever hear one again). I hope all goes fine at the vet.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

How perplexing and worrisome -- hope you get answers from the vet (or, really, that nothing is wrong and it's just some passing weird greyhound thing). You are a good greyhound parent to take him in! I'll be checking for updates.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Sending lots of good thoughts and many prayers....... :hope :hope :hope:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Stripeyfan

Thank you so much for the good thoughts! We just got back from the vet. She could find no painful spots in his tummy, his kidneys or on his back, legs or neck; his heart and lungs were good, and his temp normal. We took in a urine sample with us as he had a bad UTI not long ago, and I was concerned it might be something to do with that, but this was also clear - no blood or anything else nasty.

The diagnosis... massive panic attack. The vet said he must have thought the guy we saw this morning was someone who mistreated or hurt him in the past, and he had a flashback. My poor boy! I had no idea dogs could get panic attacks or that they could last so long (5 hours!). sad.gif The reason I was so concerned was because when he first got sick with IBD/worms last year, his symptoms were exactly the same - pacing, panting, shaking etc, because he was in pain.

Anyway, he seems much more relaxed now, and just ate a snack. We've got to keep him quiet, keep an eye on him and bring him back if it starts again. So please could we have just a few more good thoughts to make sure it doesn't!

I'm off for a lie down... blink.gif

Edited by Stripeyfan

Poor baby. Hope it passes soon. Who knows what it was. It may be you were even onto something about the man appearing at the same time as pain. However, it could be that man or someone like him appeared near Kelly back when he did have the worms/IBD & pain. Dogs make associations that often perplex us. They perceive the world so differently. Sometimes they notice something environmental at the same time something painful or frightening occurs. Not knowing or understanding the cause they can later react to that same environmental stimuli even though the unpleasant sensations do not occur. Dogs are such a mystery sometimes.

Oh, Kelly. If I had a chill pill I'd overnight it to you.

Half the world gets up before I do, so I'm late with my good wishes! Glad he checked out okay at the vet, but you're wise to keep an eye on things just the same. (Spencer gets jumpy, etc. when his IBD is acting up, but nothing too radical.) Kelly boy, I'm so sorry somethin' bothered you! But if at all possible, quit scarin' your lovely mum!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am glad Kelly is more relaxed, and checked out ok at the vets. I've had a few times when one of mine seemed nervous or afraid, and I have no idea what's wrong. Usually, I never figure it out. I hope this all blows over, and you never see the red guy again!

Guest fringepup

Poor Kelly! I hope he is still calm and resting for you. I hope you got a nappy too because I am sure you are exhausted with all of the worry. I can only imagine was was going through your mind. Here is hoping your sweet boy never has another panic attack. Willie hopes his good friend is feeling better soon. Take care.

Guest Stripeyfan

Thanks guys. smile.gif He is zonked out, having twitchy feet dreams, which I guess means he's feeling better! And I am about to start on my 2nd bottle of red wine... just kidding! Although if you find that chill pill, Kudzu, I'll gladly have it (for me!!). Maybe I overreacted a bit by taking him to the vet, but I'd rather go than not go, then regret it.

Seriously, I think this dog's trying to turn me completely grey before I hit 35... rolleyes.gif DH has just reminded me of how I convinced him to get a dog by telling him 'dogs are so relaxing'. Er... yeah...I said that....?

Guest fringepup

I am so relieved that he is resting. And you did the right thing by taking him to see the doctor. No overraction on your part and especially with Kelly's history. I would have taken him too! Don't feel too bad...I say at least twice a day that Willie is trying to kill me! I believe a few grey hairs have made themselves known since we have had him and I'm 42.

My chill-pill is boxed wine! Kind of the equivalet to a cheap house red. But I do love it! I will toast to you and Kelly tonight.

Willie is being tormented by a cat that roams around outside. He was even barking at it! We were just out for a potty break before dinner and sure enought, he saw the cat throught these green slats we have for privacy. He always looks throught the fence at an angle. Smart cookie! He of course wanted to jump over our 5 foot fence, but I am happy to say he did seem to listen to his momma today when I told him "NO". Did I mention that Willie did not test cat friendly?? We ccould range war on our hands this summer!

Guest fringepup

How is Kelly doing today? We sure do hope he (and everyone else) had a good sleep and that his is feeling better. We were worried and wanted to check in. Thanks.

Glad to hear Kelly is feeling better. I will add that it may indeed be a pain thing. Last Friday, Max was perfectly fine. We were outside having a bit of a romp. when we came in, he seemed different. He was a bit restless, seemed somewhat agitated. Over the next half hour, he got progressively worse - panting, shaking, pacing, wouldn't/couldn't lay down. This went on all night, even with his regular does of metacam. It was dawn before he finally laid down a relaxed. I got some tramadol from the vet, and took him to the chiro. He had knocked his pelvis out of alignment and was in pain. It took another dose of tramadol before he seemed to really feel better.

So, Kelly could indeed be hurting. Could you take him to a chiro and maybe try him on some painkillers...hope he continues to feel better.

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly had a good night and is absolutely fine today. He's had 2 walks and been playing and wagging his tail like crazy. The vet did say when dogs become very anxious, it releases a stress hormone which can make the anxiety continue for hours. Obviously the man in the red hoody reminded him of something awful and it just freaked him out... poor guy.

Maximum - I hope Max is okay now! How scary. The vet checked Kelly thoroughly for painful areas yesterday and didn't find any, and he's been running around like a lunatic today, so I think it really must just have been a panic attack - he is a big wimp fairly timid, although I wouldn't say he's a spook.

Fringepup - Kelly is a cat zapper too! He's brilliant with even tiny fluffy dogs, but if he sees a cat... eek.gif

Kelly says thank you for the continued good thoughts (and so do I!).

Guest fringepup

Kelly had a good night and is absolutely fine today. He's had 2 walks and been playing and wagging his tail like crazy. The vet did say when dogs become very anxious, it releases a stress hormone which can make the anxiety continue for hours. Obviously the man in the red hoody reminded him of something awful and it just freaked him out... poor guy.

Maximum - I hope Max is okay now! How scary. The vet checked Kelly thoroughly for painful areas yesterday and didn't find any, and he's been running around like a lunatic today, so I think it really must just have been a panic attack - he is a big wimp fairly timid, although I wouldn't say he's a spook.

Fringepup - Kelly is a cat zapper too! He's brilliant with even tiny fluffy dogs, but if he sees a cat... eek.gif

Kelly says thank you for the continued good thoughts (and so do I!).

We are so happy to hear that Kelly is doing fine and enjoying his day. I think it was smart to get him right back on a walk. I know how scary that kind of behavior can be. We are believing that Willie has some anxiety issues, or so his doctor says since she can find anything to explain his occasional "out of sorts" behavior that I originally met you on that he occasionally gets with no explanation. But they do like to make us worry!

Take care!