Kind Of A Weird Question...

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

So Maddie doesn't really get soft toys, since our Boston tears them up in minutes. We went to our friend's house the other night and Maddie played like crazy with their dog's soft toys. It made me feel so bad that she doesn't get any at home! We have tried every kind of "durable" soft toy, but Bruce tears them to bits in minutes every time. We also try giving her toys when we leave and Bruce is in his crate, but they're always in the same place we left them when we return, so I doubt she plays when we're gone. We have also tried keeping a close eye, and taking the toy from Bruce whenever he takes them, but she doesn't play for long stretches, and gives up the toys to Bruce without a fight, so it's a huge PITA for us to do that. She doesn't seem bored or anything at home, but I feel like she could be happier if she had toys.

Ideas?

Guest Swifthounds

Work with the Boston on playing without destroying. It involves giving access to the toy, interrupting and removing the toy when activity gets too rough, and redirecting the chew/shred impulse, but it does work.

I've now got my second reformed stuffy killer in residence. My first was the sweetest boy ever who wouldn't harm a fly. We started work on not shredding after my alpha let him play with a favorite toy and was rewarded with having to see his favorite stuffy obliterated. That was not well received.

Guest Lgyure85

Work with the Boston on playing without destroying. It involves giving access to the toy, interrupting and removing the toy when activity gets too rough, and redirecting the chew/shred impulse, but it does work.

I've now got my second reformed stuffy killer in residence. My first was the sweetest boy ever who wouldn't harm a fly. We started work on not shredding after my alpha let him play with a favorite toy and was rewarded with having to see his favorite stuffy obliterated. That was not well received.

I will start trying that. It takes him literally minutes to tear up any stuffy, so it's going to take a lot of persistence on my part! I didn't even think teaching him to play nice was an option!

Separate them for stuffy play. Put Bruce in his crate or another room and have toys that are only Maddie's to play with then. Also, you might try a new Kong toy that squeaks. My stuffy killer loves it and it's been around for almost a year.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Lgyure85

Separate them for stuffy play. Put Bruce in his crate or another room and have toys that are only Maddie's to play with then. Also, you might try a new Kong toy that squeaks. My stuffy killer loves it and it's been around for almost a year.

He kills Kong toys...it is impressive, though, I must say!

Might also see if you can find the "Fat Cat" canvas toys. Might take Bruce a little longer to kill one of those.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Try a cuz ball for the Boston - I think those are fairly indescructible, and while very annoying, are also highly amusing to the dog

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Lgyure85

He tore up my mom's schnauzer's "Big Mean KItty" pretty quickly...

He is definitely very much like the shark from Jaws!

He tears Kongs up, but I can try the 'Cuz toys. I know what you're talking about!

No advice, but I'll be interested to read other comments.

Greta was a stuffy killer at the adoption foster home, and we took one for her when we got her and they laughed that it wouldn't survive the trip home, but she still has it and all the others that we've given her! She is quite gentle with them all here.

I've had excellent luck with Tuffie Toys. They are rated on a "toughness scale." The Mega series #10 is most durable. My current Greyhounds are fine with Ultimate #9, or the larger Mega #10. Several years ago, I had one highly destructive dog that tore up everything within reach... except these Tuffie Toys. I still have the same old ones, and I've added new shapes to our collection. They all still squeak, too!

http://www.tuffietoys.com/page/398259450 (If link doesn't work, just try searching: Tuffie Toys)

Separate them for stuffy play. Put Bruce in his crate or another room and have toys that are only Maddie's to play with then.

^^This. If Bruce is crated when you're gone, then first thing when you get home, before you let him out of the crate might be a good time for Maddie to play with her toys. My pups are most manic about toys first thing in the morning and when I first get home from work.

Try a cuz ball for the Boston - I think those are fairly indescructible, and while very annoying, are also highly amusing to the dog

Sadly, if he can destroy a kong, the cuz ball won't last either. It will just be more annoying for you during the time it takes him to destroy it. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree--let her have some time a few times a week where he is not around.

We had the same situation in my parents' home--the female dog destroyed anything and everything, so they couldn't have toys around for ages. They finally found a "wuba" stuffed toy that was really durable, and let the male play with that outside while they kept the female inside.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Lgyure85

I've had excellent luck with Tuffie Toys. They are rated on a "toughness scale." The Mega series #10 is most durable. My current Greyhounds are fine with Ultimate #9, or the larger Mega #10. Several years ago, I had one highly destructive dog that tore up everything within reach... except these Tuffie Toys. I still have the same old ones, and I've added new shapes to our collection. They all still squeak, too!

http://www.tuffietoy.../page/398259450 (If link doesn't work, just try searching: Tuffie Toys)

It took him about an hour to have the alligator into tiny little green pieces, and Maddie wasn't interested in it, since it wasn't soft enough. Good thought though!

Guest 2dogs4cats

They have these toys that have no stuffing but are still soft, I don't know what they are called (stuffingless or something), but I am sure someone on here will know. Maybe less likely to be destroyed if there is no stuffing. I don't know, I don't have this problem. Mine are so gentle, I have toys from 8 years ago.

Guest Giselle

Toys, like stuffies, are for ACTIVE playing with active participation with the human. Toys are for fetch, tug, etc. Toys are never just left out for the dogs because they usually don't enjoy playing by themselves anyways.

Chew things, like bully sticks and compressed rawhides, are for passive chewing/destruction.

If you must, play with one dog at a time or in separate rooms. Those are the rules for my dogs. And, believe me, I have a Doberman/Lab = powerful bite + "everything-must-go-into-the-mouth"-mentality. After wasting endless amounts of money on stuffies, these rules are what works for us best economically.