Got To His Suture Line

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

James had his amputation one week ago. He has been leaving everythig alone with the occasional sniff. We have been watching him like a hawk. Tonight my parents came over to watch my daughter and James so my husband and I could get a much needed break. Dinner alone!

When we came home, the bottom part of his suture line (closest to his rear) was moist and red. He had definitely been licking. The suture is still in place but the suture line is swollen and red. Nothing is draining. Is this the part where I call the orthopedist and ask for antibiotics? Or do I wait to see how it looks?

PS They got the path results back this afternoon. Looks like osteosarcoma but Dr Couto wants to talk to the pathologist about their findings since he says he is "Rarely wrong". They will call me in the morning.

Yes, antobiotics. And a cone.

What worked best ofr us was to put a harness on Dude (like a walking harness), slip the collar over his head with some long tails of gauze through the cone loops, and tie the gauze tails pretty firmly to the harness. It's the only way we could keep it on him. We didn't use it all the time, but unless one of *us* was right there with him, he was coned!

Alternatively, if he's not a long boy, a "bite-not" collar might also work for him. It's like a tight turtleneck that wraps around the neck and prevents them from turning their heads. Dude could still reach his butt with one on though, so we had to go with the cone.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When one of my boys had stitches, the cone lasted for maybe 20 seconds: I put it on, he took it off. He wore a muzzle with a stool guard whenever I couldn't keep an eye on him. Tying it to a harness sounds like a good idea---wish I had thought of that!

Get a child's T shirt and put it on him. You can cut areas where he needs a little extra room like around the neck. He may end up licking the shirt, but the incision still remains fairly untouched. Or wrap vetwrap completely around his chest (dont' make it too tight!!), then have a T shirt. I know that my girls did not like wearing a cone, freaked them out. And the muzzle would rub on the incision making it worse.

My Dima just needed the T. She did lick (she actually had an infection and draining) but the T kept the site fairly clean and dry.

Get after it right away. The rear end amp tends to get infected easier than front end. It may take several tries to find the right device to keep him from getting to it. Maybe some old boxers fitted at the waist with a rubber band or hair clip? Muzzels can do some damage if they insist on still trying to rub it.

Might want to get a bite-not collar for him when you can't be there to watch him.

I've got one if you want to borrow it, but I'm not sure if you're still in the area?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest sheila

I'm surprised that antibiotics weren't prescribed to begin with. Even when my dogs have had simple stitches for skin wounds the vet has always given me a round of AB's.

Guest juliagulia630

They used a long acting one during the operation. I am trying the boxer idea but ofcourse he is now in our direct supervision so hopefully we won't need them. I will call ortho is the morning. Thanks meredith for the offer but we are in ohio now!

Thought I'd mention that several people here have made home-made Bite-Not collars by folding a towel to the width of the neck and wrapping it in place. Hopefully though the antibiotics are working, but if he persist in trying to get at it it may be a sign something is wrong. That is how I found out Nadir had a bad infection under his splint. He kept licking the top of it.

Guest juliagulia630

So with the snow we got here, we weren't able to bring James to OSU. They let me send pictures and the surgeon thought it didn't look infected. Another 24hours and I was getting nervous so we brought him to our vet who put him on Keflex. His boxers are on and we are ready to get this part of his healing over with!! We scheduled his first chemo and suture removal for next Wednesday.