Anyone With Experience/ Doggy Wheelchair?

I have a 12 year old grey who was born with a deformed pelvis and weak hind legs. Additionally, the left hind leg has undergone surgery to repair a broken femur (not osteo-related).

Getting around has been difficult the last year or so, but last night he fell and now can't use his left hind leg. I started him on anti-inflamatories and tramadol, and will talk to the vet today about acupuncture, steriods, tens, etc.

I'm thinking he'd benefit from a doggy wheelchair, and I'd like to order one for him yesterday!

Help, from anyone with experience using a doggy wheelchair with a greyhound, is needed immediately. Any particular brand/model that did or didn't work?

Thanks,

Mary

Guest LokisMom

I don't have any experience with greyhound wheelchairs. I did have a grey suddenly unable to use his back legs a few years ago. We ended up taking him to a dog chiropractor. He did a minor adjustment and Clark has been walking great ever since. Just something to consider if the other stuff doesn't give him mobility back. Obviously don't know if it would help but wanted to throw it out there as I didn't previously even know dog chiropractors existed. I think some holistic vets offer chiropractic services.

Good luck!

Try Eddie's Wheels --

http://eddieswheels.com/ They have a limited number of "loaner" wheel chairs that they can fit to a grey, or they can build one from scratch. Standard wheelchairs for dogs don't always fit.

I looked into wheelchairs a year ago for my very old grey who was slowly losing control of his back legs(we didn't get to the stage where we needed one) and this company seemed to be the absolute best.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Although I don't know any greyhounds that have had wheelchairs, Eddie's Wheels is local to me and I know of several other breeds that have wheels from them and they are wonderful! Great to work with, very helpful and I've seen some happy dogs after getting their mobility back. Best of luck to you!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

No advise on a wheelchair but appears you love this dog very much and I just wanted to say thank you for loving your dog so much that you are looking at alternative methods to help your grey. When you get the wheelchair you need please post a picture. Thank you and wishing you the very best with your pup!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest BiancasMom

When my basset was down in the rear due to a herniated disc, the neurologist recommended a wheelchair that had a fabric "sling" type seat for the dog rather than the fixed or welded metal ones. He said they get less compression sores and rubs. I am sure a google search would find one for you. I can't remember the brand of chair with this type of seat.

Guest CampWhippet

Eddie's Wheels made Zoey's chair. It was super-high quality and I cannot say enough on how it took the dog to the next level of happiness to go from only able to do short walks to 8 mile hikes with the other dogs in the mountains of Montana. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

There is a learning curve to the chair but they learn quickly. And I don't think they should stay in it all the time in the house as it does not allow them to lie down.

zoeycliff.jpg

Wow, thanks! I checked out the Eddie's Wheels website and they sound wonderful. Thanks for the thumbs up.

CampWhippet, can you tell me more about Zoey's situation? What is her medical problem that caused her to need a wheelchair?

Thanks,

Mary

Guest CampWhippet

Wow, thanks! I checked out the Eddie's Wheels website and they sound wonderful. Thanks for the thumbs up.

CampWhippet, can you tell me more about Zoey's situation? What is her medical problem that caused her to need a wheelchair?

Thanks,

Mary

No one is quite sure what happened to Zoey. Some suspected she was poinsoned while others felt she had a disease that causes lesions on her brain stem. Either way she was in tough shape and so I adopted her after she got sick and retired from the show ring. It began with her losing strength in her back end and soon one of her legs died and it had to be amputated. She did very well for a couple years and slowly it spread to the other leg and I was not willing to make her a 2-legged dog. Here are three of my favorite pictures:

1. The day I met her and the first picture i ever took of her

2. Going 4th in the hound group at Westminster

3. Cruising uphill on a trail in Montana

Zoeyleap.jpg

zoeyatwestminster2.jpg

zoeyestes6-1.jpg

Eddie's Wheels has the best rep from the folks with DM dogs. All I have heard matches above comments on them. Note that I listed them first. :)

Dewey's Wheelchairs for Dogs Several years ago Dewey was extremely nice & responsive when I called to inquire about a cart for a foster dog. He listened carefully & offered suggestions to help immediately & ideas for the proper cart. Left me with the impression of someone who really cared a lot. Have only seen one once at UGA & the quality seemed quite good. The design is different than Eddie's, more like Doggone Wheels. The dog I saw using it was smaller, maybe 40 lbs but with proportionately shorter legs than a sighthound. Cannot say if overall it works as well for taller dogs. According to those that have used this style it has pros & cons compared to Eddie's & those seemed to depend on the person & dog. Some feel their dog's bounced or swayed back & forth a bit & thought it might contribute to a greater likelihood of tipping over. Some did not see that problem & preferred it because the harness made it easier to lift the dogs up. Those were folks with GSDs, a BC & a few smaller pups. None had a taller dog as light as a Greyhound though. These were either hefty beasts or bitty things.

Doggon Wheels Design appears very similar to Dewey's. Have heard varying things about their customer service. Sounded like quality was reasonably decent but not as consistent as Eddie's or Dewey's. Customer service response sounded like it varied some. Design sounded like it had the same pros & cons as Dewey's. Overall the impression was favorable. I did inquire with them about my foster as well but was happier with my conversation with Dewey, FWIW.

Walkin Wheels is much newer. I have been out of touch with the DM & doggie wheelchair folks for several years so cannot offer feedback on this one. Looks interesting & promising though.

K9 Carts Had a bad rep & I would not recommend them based on their older design. However, looking at their site I see they have modified their design. (Actually they seem to have changed it to something closer to Eddie's.) Can't say how the new design fares.