Excellent Article

Another GTer sent this to me from the StarTribune.

(I just lost my old girl last week)

Dog owner: How could I do so much for her? How could I not?

JUDITH RAZIELI

Commentary

Brown eyes, seven pounds, wagging tail. Her name is Tikva, which means "hope" in Hebrew. According to some people, she is "just a dog."

There is so much going on in the world. Yet my attention is on my ailing dog. She is 14, and quite ill. I do everything I can to keep her alive.

I give her the medications she needs and clean up after her, as she cannot wait now to go outdoors to relieve herself. When I hear heartless remarks from those who never had a pet or loved an animal, I dismiss them.

They will never understand. Yes, she is a dog. She is also my companion, my friend.

She is there with a wagging tail and trusting eyes no matter how sick she is. Dogs don't make war, don't harbor resentments. They easily forgive and forget.

Dogs are loyal and give their all. They don't spread gossip, nor do they need to always be in power.

They don't plot ways to scam others. They live pretty much in the now. They give much and ask little.

It is true that some dogs become vicious. It's not because it is their nature but because they have been trained or abused in such a manner that they strike out.

My heart is heavy as I watch Tikva trying to act as if she is not ill. I don't know if she knows how sick she is, but she does not complain.

Unlike the two-legged animals that people are, Tikva gives love and does not play relationship games.

We can learn much about life and ourselves from her and her kind. Our world would be a better place if we had the heart and soul of a dog.

To those who ask "why put so much effort into her, she is just a dog?": I know they don't understand. I gravitate to those who do understand, as I find they have more emotional depth.

A dog's life is brief on this earth, yet they do leave paw prints on one's heart.

I will continue to take care of Tikva and give her what she needs, as she has always given to me.

Judith Razieli lives in St. Louis Park.

Thank you for posting this. I, too, have a 14 year old dog who is wearing down. He gets lost in the living room, forgets how to use the stairs, is unable to hold his urine and doesn't recall why he had to go outside THAT VERY MINUTE! But, I love him to pieces and will do what I can to make him happy and comfortable until he is ready to go. Do most people understand? Nope. Did I get criticized for pulling up the carpet and putting different flooring down because of him? Nope. Do I care about them? Nope. My only wish - that I am treated with the same consideration that I try to give my dogs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Maloy

What a beautiful and true article of love, faith and a lot of character. I also love my animals deeply and will be there for them in the end. There is nothing to be ashamed about. It is the responsibility we take on when we bring them into our home. There are times that what I feel for my animals, I do not or can not feel for any human being (I use the term loosely). What you feel for your animal is between you and God and no one else. When someone says to me "it's only a dog or cat", I then say "well, what are you".

Magic is "only" 10 but I plan on giving him all the love I can when the end comes and do whatever is necessary to keep him comfortable. He has been my rock during some difficult times over the last few years. I'll never forget that. He's not "only a dog" to me.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

BillieJean is over 14 and Bandit will be 12 in the summer.

Thankfully all of my family & friends are just as dog-crazy as we are, and totally understand the lengths we go to for our aging companions.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My oldest right now is 8 1/2, but it wasn't that long ago I lost my Mama girlie just before she turned 13. I still miss her everyday. Lovely article. Thanks for posting.

june

Guest bellenzo

That is very nice, thank you. Bella died at 13.5 and the last couple of months were very difficult. Your essay captured those moments very well.

It's so true though. Pop is going to the dermatologist in 2 weeks, in the mean time he had to come off most of his meds and be switched to another food before the testing. Right now his front paws are giving him problems, so I am taking him out by himself so I can help him if he needs it (he fell on the snow & ice earlier this week). I can hardly wait for his appointment to be here so I can help him get better again...it's heartbreaking to see him all broken out yet knowing they want him to be completely flared up for the appointment...and he's being such a good boy about it too. He's a little jealous that Zelda gets to go for walks and he has to go potty right in front of the building, but with his front paws the way they are, I'm trying to keep him from hurting himself more...people who don't own pets would think I'm nuts, but those who have pets know I am doing what I have to in order to try to get a correct diagnosis for him so this can *hopefully* be prevented or minimized in the future!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest FullMetalFrank

Brought tears to my eyes... Frankie is 11 and we are going thru the realization that he won't be here forever; and that we are in fact on the downward side of his time here with us. Some days me and my family just look at him and wonder out loud how he got so incredibly beautiful. I think that after a certain point every day is a gift and that is how we view our time with our dogs. DD and I were just talking this morning about how Chelsa will be 9 this year and wondering where does the time go?

There are a couple of elderly dogs I see at work and who have my heart wrapped around their paws; one in particular is Daisy, an ancient border collie/aussie mix who has so much attitude! I try to spend as much time with these oldies as I can, not knowing when their last visit will be. :(

There is nothing in the world that can compare to the soul of an old dog...