Bland Food Alternatives

JenniferS

My dog is having diarrhea most likely from the anesthesia from his dental yesterday. I am getting a precription from the vet, but in the meantime I am supposed to give his a bland diet. He has not done well in the past on foods with chicken, rice or beef in them. His food is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison & Sweet Potato, he also has had Duck & Sweet Potato. While he does very wellon these foods, I don't imagine that they would be considered bland, so I'm wondering if anyone has any alernatives they could suggest?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

My dogs cannot have chicken, beef, lamb or any grains. So I give them turkey and instant mashed potatoes made with water. They are also lactose intolerant. Turkey is a different protein than chicken do it's okay.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Thanks! I ended up giving him ground turkey & sweet potato. He also started on metronidazole tonight, so hopefully he'll start feeling better. He also threw up all his breakfast this morning, poor boy :(

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo

• 1 month later...

We're back with another bout of diarrhea and I'm at a loss as to what to give him. While the turkey & sweet potato worked well last time, the vet thinks it may be too rich. I tried rice again, but the diarrhea continues, even though he's on the metronizadole again too. We did a stool test that came up negative.

Still looking for more bland diet options if you have them. Thanks!

I've used steamed white fish and potato with success for some dogs that seemed to do poorly on a 'normal' bland diet.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

What about just sweet potato? The problem with just fasting the dog (at least my dog) is that sometimes if they are really hungry they will vomit some bile. I would just feed a small amount of sweet potato a few times a day to keep the bile down.

I've used steamed white fish and potato with success for some dogs that seemed to do poorly on a 'normal' bland diet.

This is a good one, for dogs who can have potato.

Can't really see how your vet could object to turkey breast (less fat than dark meat) + sweet potatoes. If that has worked for your pup, that is what I would feed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

My guess is the sweet potatoes are too much sugar and fiber. White potatoes are easier to digest.

You want a very easily digestible simple carb source (ie: rice, noodles, white potatoes, oatmeal) and a low-fat protein (ie: boiled lean ground beef, chicken breast, white fish)

I've always been told to fast them when they have the big D. Then I start them off with lean ground turkey mixed with rice (I know you can't use that) or noodles or oatmeal. Start with just a bite or two several times through the day.

june

Guest KennelMom

Fasting for a meal can't hurt, IMO. I like the meat & potato idea, either white (peeled) or sweet potatoes. Turkey breast is pretty innocuous for most dogs. I couldn't handle steaming fish, but that might be a good option as well.

Just went through this with Gee. I had to fast her for 24 hours and then start her back on her food with Pepcid and the metronidazole and some immodium. Resting the gut seemed to help the most and gave the meds time to kick in.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I don't want to fast him at this point since he has had the diarrhea on and off since Saturday morning and he's lost 4 lbs. :(

Poor thing is hungry & tired. I'm going to try some white potatoes too.

he's always had a very sensitive stomach and it took us a couple of foods to get him figured out; now I feel like trying different bland foods may be aggravating the situation more.

His stool sample came back negative, so I really don't know what is wrong with our poor boy. He also threw up this morning. If there's no improvement by tomorrow I'm going to call the vet back.

Oh and forgot to add we started the Pepcid too.

I've never been a fan of "fasting" - vets used to recommend that when people fed kibble exclusively rather than a bland diet. Also if a dog is fasted, he has a likelihood of vomiting bile because of the empty stomach.

What about unsweetened applesauce and a bit of yogurt?

now I feel like trying different bland foods may be aggravating the situation more.

One of my vets is a big fan of NOT feeding bland diets but rather sticking with the dog's regular food.

I tend not to change to bland diet unless dog seems very ill, needs extra fluids, etc. YMMV.

Hope your pupper is better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.