How To Keep Baby Sock On

Lexie cut one of her paw pads right in the middle i think with the hard snow and ice in our backyard. Anyway, I was using neosporin and it helped some then it reopened. Is the trypzme liquid better to use on the paw pad or neosporin? I just tried to kkep a baby sock on with tape. Is there a better way to keep it covered? When she goes outside I put the therma boot on her so that isnt an issue. It is more what to do in the house. She is going to a kennel in a week so i am hoping it will heal soon. Thanks ahead for any suggestions or helpful hints :colgate

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I would try some Vet Wrap and wrap until you think the sock is secure. Might have to be trial and error. If you don't have Vet Wrap, your local drug store will have it as a self adhesive roll bandage in the First Aid Aisle. If you have a Farm / Horse Supply store nearby, it will be much cheaper there, and you can buy the colors that match Lexie's outfit. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Be very, very careful using rubber bands or non-stretchy tape. I accidentally gave Maggie a pressure sore on the back of her leg while trying to keep a baby sock on!!

I had more luck using a longer sock and some vet wrap. It seems stupid, but I had to bandage half way up her leg to keep the sock on. She sits around trying to pull the sock off with her teeth though. Hopefully your kid is less annoying about it!

Just soak it once a day in some diluted chlorhexadine or Epsom salts to keep it nice and clean. If you really think you need topical antibiotic, I like the neosporin + pain relief.

ty all i do have vet wrap. i think i wasnt wrapping far enough up the leg. she does like to pick at the vet wrap so i will only use as necesssary. good idea about the epsom salts..and yes, she does have multi colored vet wraps to match her hats..lol

Guest Energy11

Yes, the Trypzyme, to me, is better than the neosporin. It heals way better. :-) RE: the toddler socks. .. I use transpore tape, which is flexible, and just wrap it around the sock and leg, making sure I can insert a bit of my pinky finger between the sock and the leg, to be sure it isn't too tight. I have never had luck with vet wrap. I also like the idea of the velcro bands!

Good Luck!

Guest Sunset123

We just finished healing an injury on Arrisa's foot. My method was non-stick wound pad, vet wrap, and then baby sock on top of that held on with some medical tape.

Yes, the Trypzyme, to me, is better than the neosporin. It heals way better. :-) RE: the toddler socks. .. I use transpore tape, which is flexible, and just wrap it around the sock and leg, making sure I can insert a bit of my pinky finger between the sock and the leg, to be sure it isn't too tight. I have never had luck with vet wrap. I also like the idea of the velcro bands!

Good Luck!

thanks i will use the tryp instead :colgate

The velcro bands are a great idea.

Idol has been socked for the past few days for the very same reason. There was a blood fest in our living room.

I use one of my own ankle socks, so it is a little longer. I used plastic, medical tape, not adhesive, around the top, then again about two inches down, and then around the foot. It keeps the sock in place and doesn't slip down. I sprayed her wound with EMT gel.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Good Luck!

thanks i will use the tryp instead :colgate

Oh, I SWEAR by that stuff!!! You would NOT believe what I've healed here with it! :eek:colgate

Beware of vet wrap. I used it to keep a sock on Suds but he still got it off. A few days later, I thought I saw blood in some poop that I was picking up in the dog pen. It was red vet wrap. Not sure who ate it, but it could have been trouble if it hadn't passed through like it did! Red is a bad color to use because you don't notice fresh blood seeping through. I ran out of vet wrap in the house and had the option of plowing through three feet of snow to my tack room or going to Walmart.

Good luck with the sock. I would continue to soak it and let it dry in between. Sometimes an ointment keeps it too moist and it takes longer to heal. Good luck!

Guest Energy11

The velcro bands are a great idea.

Idol has been socked for the past few days for the very same reason. There was a blood fest in our living room.

I use one of my own ankle socks, so it is a little longer. I used plastic, medical tape, not adhesive, around the top, then again about two inches down, and then around the foot. It keeps the sock in place and doesn't slip down. I sprayed her wound with EMT gel.

Yep! The "plastic" medical tape is the Transpore, and the only thing I use. It is wonderful tape, and you can even get it in Wally World! ;)

Guest Energy11

the poor baby is resting and insisted on having her sock match one of her hats ( rockets grandma made the hat)..lol..

recoop.jpg

OMG!!! How cute is she??? LOVE the hat!!! She looks like my Goldie girl! Hope she feels better soon!

Guest Sunset123

Beware of vet wrap. I used it to keep a sock on Suds but he still got it off. A few days later, I thought I saw blood in some poop that I was picking up in the dog pen. It was red vet wrap. Not sure who ate it, but it could have been trouble if it hadn't passed through like it did! Red is a bad color to use because you don't notice fresh blood seeping through. I ran out of vet wrap in the house and had the option of plowing through three feet of snow to my tack room or going to Walmart.

Good luck with the sock. I would continue to soak it and let it dry in between. Sometimes an ointment keeps it too moist and it takes longer to heal. Good luck!

This is why I do a taped-on sock on top of the vet wrap. It might seem like overkill, but the sock is too thin on its own and the vet wrap can be taken off and swallowed too easily.