Melatonin Revisted

LaFlaca

After reading many positive comments here on GT regarding the use of Melatonin for canine alopecia in Greyhounds, I began to give Wendy 3 mg. daily. The results have been astounding! Her coat was not terrible to begin with, but she did have some bald areas. Now her coat is very full, bunny-soft and very shiny. No more bald spots, and even her tummy is nearly completely covered in fuzz.

How are your Melatonin hounds doing? Any negative side effects? And, once the hair has all grown in, did you discontinue the Melatonin or is this a lifetime commitment?

Thanks for your input. :)

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest jettcricket

Same here....it took about 8 weeks, but the results were amazing!! A friend of mine said, "Lin...is Dave getting bigger or is it just my imagination". I told her, "He's fluffier making him look bigger". :lol

I'm thinking as far as doage, maybe 1 every 3rd day or so. I definitley wouldn't give it to them every day once you got your desired results. Don't want them to get too hairy...they are greyhounds after all!!

Edited by jettcricket

Guest K9Cookies

We tried it for a while with Uri. He seemed to be getting diarrhea quite a bit, so we stopped it. His coat looks much better just getting him on to a good quality food. :)

I've had great results with all 3 of mine in terms of covering bald spots. Their coats were already healthy, just a bit sparse in places. I've not seen any problem side effects.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Before melatonin, Twiggy had a very sleek, glossy, soft-like-satin coat, but she had some bare spots on her back side, and her tummy was completely bald.

The melatonin gave her a very different texture coat now it is more bunny-soft, but the sleekness and glossiness are gone. It's not really what I consider a "quality" coat. Her bald spots have a few longer hairs mixed in, but they definitely havent filled in. I kept her on it for the first part of the winter, because it did give her a bit on an undercoat in her already furry areas, and I thought it would be helpful in the cold. I am also giving it to her now to hopefully help the fur grow back on the shaved areas from her recent surgery, but Ill stop once that has grown back.

I want her sleek satin coat back for summer.

For Twiggy, I definitely could see that the melatonin had an effect, but it really wasnt very successful in my opinion.

Edited to say that she was on 3mg/day for about 6 months.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I started giving Max melatonin last summer to help with his thunder phobia and any other things that were causing him stress. After giving it to him off and on over the summer, I noticed that his coat was becoming very soft and thick; almost lush! He doesn't get it as often since fall (maybe once or twice a week) but his coat is still full, and soft. Also, he hardly sheds at all now - that's even better than the thick coat! :colgate

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest KsFrets

It's worked really well for Magnus, and filled in belly, and all his bald spots... all but one small butt bullseye. It's made Maggie into a cousin It :) It has had no effect whatsoever on Lisa, who still has the same small bald butt spots she had since we got her last spring.

Worked for us too.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mcsheltie

We were lure coursing last summer and a lady walked over and asked if she could take pictures of our dog's behinds. I said sure... but was thinking... WTH? Turns out she is a vet, now doing research and is studying GH pattern baldness and melatonin. I told her the four with hair were on it. The three without were not. She got so excited I almost started laughing. We had a cool conversation and I almost missed my field call.

Once your hounds coats grew back in to your satisfaction, did you discontinue the Melatonin? Or is it like Rogaine where you've got to use it for life or all the regrown hair falls out? :unsure

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

It did not work at all for Legs :( He was on it for 3+ months. It is not so much that his baldness bothers me, but he gets little cuts, bug bites, skin irritation, etc much more frequently on the hairless areas. Then he licks and it becomes even worse. Plus sand sticks to the bald spots and I live right on the beach so it is a pita! :lol

Oh well, I have gotten used to having a baldy guy :wub: Someeone asked me the other day if I had shaved him like that :lol

Edited by RileysLegacy

Guest lanielovesgreys

Didn't work for Laika. I mean, a teensy bit after 3 months but that may be my imagination. Either way it made her groggy. Her bald butt is just fine with me. :)

Guest mcsheltie

Once your hounds coats grew back in to your satisfaction, did you discontinue the Melatonin? Or is it like Rogaine where you've got to use it for life or all the regrown hair falls out? :unsure

When I stopped it the hair fell back out.

It never made my dogs groggy but I gave it to them at night so ...

When the hair grew in, I now give the melatonin every 2nd and 3rd days.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I'm going to have to try that for Maggie. She developed the bald booty this winter and I'd love to see it grow back!

Anyone have experience for this with IGs? If so, what dosage? I have a blue IG that's is completely bald on his head, between his shoulder blades, and on his tummy... the rest of him is pretty sparse. Sure would be nice to get a little fur back on him too!

I took mine off in the spring to see how they would fair. They lost their winter coats and then some. The cool thing was that, while Carl lost almost all he had gained initially while on the melatonin, when his winter coat came in he was/is much furrier than he was before I ever put him on it. Claire was always pretty furry, so not much difference with her. I am keep Carl off of it right now as he has another health issue I am dealing with and part of the strategy is to have him eating raw, the vet has him on other supplements as well, so I want to stay focused on getting him over this right now.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Massive success and without it, the hair has not fallen out on mine.

PS whippets don't tend to have baldness like Greys but I have a friend with a Whippet who had a bad scar and melatonin is helping shrink it... also my racing Whippet had a thin coat on her butt and stomach and it's grown in like rabbit fur now :) Only took a couple weeks for her.

Oh and some of my fosters are not on it in new homes- in some it has stayed in (the worst case of baldness of all, in fact) and in others it has not stayed as thick as it did with the melatonin (the bunny fur) but they haven't gone bald.

... but I have a friend with a Whippet who had a bad scar and melatonin is helping shrink it...

This is interesting. Wendy had a run-in with the backyard fence while squirrel chasing and tore a good sized chunk out of her right, rear leg right down to the muscle. Very ugly gash. Lots of stitches. However, it is healing remarkably well and the hair is growing back. I wonder if the Melatonin has helped cut down the scarring? :unsure

I'm going to have to try that for Maggie. She developed the bald booty this winter and I'd love to see it grow back!

Anyone have experience for this with IGs? If so, what dosage? I have a blue IG that's is completely bald on his head, between his shoulder blades, and on his tummy... the rest of him is pretty sparse. Sure would be nice to get a little fur back on him too!

Wish I had an answer. All I can tell you is that I give my 55 lb. girl 5 mgs. once a day with her dinner.