Ham Ok?

Wonder

A friend brought over some fish, turkey and ham for Sparks

I know ham is salty but can he have some in moderation along with other meat?

He's only eating meat now and it's all cooked. I gave up on raw when he stopped wanting it raw. I have a crock pot going every night with meat for him and he's eating a lot.

He only has a few weeks left so please don't suggest I feed him other foods because he's going to eat whatever he wants at this point.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest goofydog

I have a foggy memory of a link between pork and pancreatitis. I'm sure others with better knowledge will pipe in soon. Give Sparks extra scritches from down South please.

Wouldn't give him too much at once if he'll eat other things, but a sandwich's worth at a time would certainly be fine (nice thick deli sandwich :) ). Scritchies to your good boy, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would only give him a few bits with the chicken and beef

Plus there wasn't a lot of the ham but I threw it in the crock pot with the chicken so hoped that it wouldn't be too bad for him.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

That'll be perfect, Kari. Fingers crossed he gobbles it right up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm waiting for it to cool and will give him a little tonight.

He loves the chicken but I'll be out in a few days so will have to pick more up.

I have a huge roast to cook that Jen (bigorangedog) brought over tonight. That will last at least a week :yay

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Should add some nice flavor tho. :)

I think that whatever Sparks wants, Sparks should get!!! I fully agree with you...if he is enjoying it, then why not!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I think the thing about pork is that a) traditionally, people have never wasted any part of a pig so that it was never a meat that people fed to dogs much, and ... er... 2) it tends to be very greasy, which is probably the pancreatitis connection.

Yep, bacon is salty, too, and contains nitrites which aren't good for anyone, but at this stage I'd just feed him a little if he wants it. Just don't overdo it - and watch for signs of abdominal discomfort which might indicate pancreatic problems. None of our dogs has ever had a problem with pork, but it's true that it does trigger issues with some. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest PhillyPups

Kari, when I am/was where you are with Sparks, I always figure they can have whatever their heart desires - even chocolate (Gremlin loved her p-butter oreo cookie before bed every night!).

Guest Swifthounds

It was just a ham bone, no meat :rofl

Guess that solves the "salt" concerns! :bighug to you and Sparks!

Most people cook pork, and feed a whole lot to a dog that has never had pork before (it's rare to see it in dog feed because humans use just about everything). Any time you render fat and then dump it into a dog unaccustomed to meat with fat, you're risking trouble. Although, with bacon it's the nitrites.

Edited by Swifthounds

we cook for our dogs and pork roasts are always on the menu. We've had no problems with our gang having it. They've also had baked ham - especially when it's been on special in the store and they get leftover deli meat once in awhile. I think variety is important and that can decrease any "bad" elements in what is give. Since we've started giving homemade, we've had no dietary issues or poop issues. I know it's not for everyone, but I like the results.

whatever he will eat I'd give it it to him,,, when one of my old boys was on his way to the bridge,, he wanted white bread,, all he would eat,,, I gave him white bread for days, and days, and days,,, until he was to ill to eat anymmore,, whatever you pup wants is greyt ;)

He only has a few weeks left so please don't suggest I feed him other foods because he's going to eat whatever he wants at this point.

You knew the answer before you asked the question. Trust your gut. :) If he enjoys it - go for it.

When MY time gets close - I hope somebody gives me Big Mac's and french fries and beer and ice cream whenever I want it! I don't have that very much now - but when my time comes - I'm going to GORGE on it if someone loves me enough to give it to me! :)

When my grandfather was dying - in the hospital on Hospice care on his last day - he KNEW it was his last day - he asked to drink a glass of wine with me. (Red wine is death to a dialysis patient). I brought a bottle of red wine to the hospital, and glasses, and drank it with him - in his honor, and to his enjoyment. :)

Same thing for your dog. What are you going to hurt at this point?

Edited by sobesmom

Whatever he'll eat :) The last two days of Jodie's life, (she had numerous problems and diabetes was one at the end--was on insulin shots) the only thing she would eat was cheesecake....

Did she share with you?

:)

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest zoolaine

When Sunny was really sick when he was first diagnosed with cancer, ham was all he would eat, well he would eat ham sandwiches I know the sodium wasn't good for him but that was literally all he would eat and I think the salty taste was why he liked it. At the end he went back to only eating ham and vanilla shakes.

Guest wmlcml6

Hi, Kari. I would be careful. My friend who has two of my retired racers came home last night to Big D everywhere. The only thing they changed the day before was that her DH gave them a ham bone he used in his split pea soup.

Edited by wmlcml6

Hi, Kari. I would be careful. My friend who has two of my retired racers came home last night to Big D everywhere. The only thing they changed the day before was that her DH gave them a ham bone he used in his split pea soup.

I didn't give him any- just used the broth to add to the chicken broth that I made for Lucky

He already has big D so don't need it getting any worse :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17