Prayers For Lincoln

So we took Lincoln in for his blood recheck and his PVC was even lower last night then Sunday. Last night it was 13 :eek They did an x-ray and didn't see any tumors. They had us run home and get one of the other dogs to use as a donor for a blood transfusion while they were doing the x-ray. We brought Bear back to be the donor. They were finishing up giving Lincoln the blood when we left. Haven't talked to the vet yet this morning but they mentioned autoimmune hemolytic anemia last night. They checked for some TBD on Sunday but not all so I'll ask today about testing him for the rest. Last night it was more important to get so good blood into him. Not sure how reliable the test would be right now anyway since it's really Bear's blood they would be testing. I did call and check on him this morning and his temp was normal and he ate breakfast. Bear's back to his usual crazy self this morning. They had to give him a little sleepy meds last night to get the blood. Anyone that's meet Bear will understand why :offwall He is very much ADHD. I promised him a frosty paw tonight for being such a brave boy last night and helping his brother. I'll let you know what the vet says when I talk to him later. For now any prayers and white light would be really appreciated. I'm really worried about our boy.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending prayers for you boy. What a frightening situation. It is very good though that no tumors were found. From your other post I was fearing hemangio & just could not bring myself to write that.

In your position I would be very tempted to ask them to start doxy & then send out for a tick panel including babesia. You could always do the same for Ben so you could compare the two. Now would certainly be the time to do it if you've never run a tick panel on Ben before. Comparing the two may give ambiguous results but if Lincoln were positive for something & Ben negative then you would know Ben's blood wasn't the cause. I'm just speculating & thinking out loud, not telling you what to do.

Wishing the best for your boy. Sending thoughts for nice pink gums with good capillary refill.

:goodluck My thoughts are with you, many of us have been down a similar road and understand the anxiety you are feeling. Hopefully you will know more soon.

Oh Trish, I'm so sorry to hear this. Many, many prayers for your sweet Lincoln. Have they mentioned doing an ultra sound on his spleen?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Sending prayers for you boy. What a frightening situation. It is very good though that no tumors were found. From your other post I was fearing hemangio & just could not bring myself to write that.

In your position I would be very tempted to ask them to start doxy & then send out for a tick panel including babesia. You could always do the same for Ben so you could compare the two. Now would certainly be the time to do it if you've never run a tick panel on Ben before. Comparing the two may give ambiguous results but if Lincoln were positive for something & Ben negative then you would know Ben's blood wasn't the cause. I'm just speculating & thinking out loud, not telling you what to do.

Wishing the best for your boy. Sending thoughts for nice pink gums with good capillary refill.

I agree totally on testing for Babesia.

Sending lots of love and prayers Lincoln's way!

Lincoln's coming home tonight!!! :colgate He seems to be doing well. We won't know if his immune system is killing off the red blood cells for a few days. They'll do another blood test over the weekend. I'll have them test for the TBD this weekend when they draw blood. All the dogs are boarding at the vet's on Sat and Sunday while we make a quick trip to Ohio so they can do it then. He has to stay quiet for a few days and he'll be on a bunch of meds but as long as I have a jar of PB he'll take any pill ;) Just keep praying that the meds do the trick and his immune system leaves his red blood cells alone. I feel like I can finally breath today and maybe the knots in my stomach will relax a little.

Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

I'm so glad he's coming home! I agree with the suggestion of starting doxy and checking for TBD.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Your going to Ohio ?? Why not bring Lincoln to Ohio State to be evaluted?? Whole blood transusions don't really increase the hounds pcv% by very much and it will only last for about 10-14 days. You need to determine the root of his disease before he crashes on you. A pcv% of 13 is beyond incredibly low for a hound. The problem is if you start him on pred for imha and he has an underlying tick disease it will "release the monster" making him very I'll.

Ohio state has their own blood bank-- just an FYI

Keep us posted!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

The red blood cell thing really has me on the test-for-babesia bandwagon -- that's what killed my husband, so I'm pretty sensitized to it. Like other tick-borne diseases, the bacteria are encapsulated (hidden) until they go active and then it's like freight train. :( Scary rotten stuff. I would do the doxy too.. other than tummy upset, it can't hurt. Will be praying.

Trust me, taking him to OSU crossed my mind but we're moving my aunt up to stay with her other niece outside Cleveland. There is no way to squeeze him in with 3 adults and all her stuff in an element.

Sending prayers and positive energy for Lincoln. OSU is amazing - I have been there a couple times and I am so thankful I only live 2 hours away.

Just curious - how old is Lincoln? My broodie, Suze, has a pup named Lincoln. I think he would be about 5 years old.

Edited by bethac

Sending prayers and positive energy for Lincoln. OSU is amazing - I have been there a couple times and I am so thankful I only live 2 hours away.

Just curious - how old is Lincoln? My broodie, Suze, has a pup named Lincoln. I think he would be about 5 years old.

Was your Suze's racing name Get Around Sue? If so Lincoln says Hi MOM :wave

DUH I just saw your sig. Yep, Lincoln is he boy. His dad and 2 other sibling were place through our group but I havn't kept in tough with any except his dad

Edited by mom2zeus

Ask for a manual differential to see if he's regenerating red cells. They can also look for parasites like hemobartonella on the cells if they can do it fresh. The parasites die and fall off of the cells after the sample is several hours old and they're harder to tell from stain residue.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Ask for a manual differential to see if he's regenerating red cells. They can also look for parasites like hemobartonella on the cells if they can do it fresh. The parasites die and fall off of the cells after the sample is several hours old and they're harder to tell from stain residue.

That was my thought-- I would be curious to see his retic count to see if he's regenerating- also I wonder what his platelet count is-- wonder if a manual count was done and if a smear was made. Hopefully, a pcr tick panel was run- results have been coming back pretty quickly lately. Dunno, don't think I would have discharged a hound that maybe now has a hct of 16-17%. I would have my boy in osu's hands by now--but, heh that's just me!

Whoops- sorry, I meant to ask how Lincoln is doing-- well I hope. Also, I'm sure your vet mentioned this to you already but, you should be looking for any bruising that Lincoln might be doing-- check his tummy, gums and sclera.