What Does 5 Way Mean To You

I took Barkley to the shot clinic today and told them I wanted rabies and 5 way. To me this means DHLPP as opposed to 4 way which is DHPP. They insisted on bordatella and I agreed as he is going to the SPCA neuter clinic in two weeks.

When we got home and looked at the bill they had given him DHPP and Corona (for $20 as opposed to $10 for DHLPP). They said that is what they consider a 5 way. I called my vet and they said in adult dogs a five way to them is DHLPP but in puppies it is DHPP plus Corona. :blink:

Obviously we had a major failure to communicate. Barkley is 2 and has had shots before. I called the shot clinic and they said to bring him back in 2 weeks for DHLPP for $10 more. I am NOT doing that.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

DHLPP is what I'd expect. But see this link. Their 5-way doesn't include Corona or Lepto, so apparently there's no fixed, industry-wide definition of a 5-way.

I don't get a 5-way for my guys, though, and I specifically state "DHPP" at the vet. With that designation I can be pretty sure we're all talking about the same vaccine.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Way too many.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I don't get a 5-way for my guys, though, and I specifically state "DHPP" at the vet. With that designation I can be pretty sure we're all talking about the same vaccine.

I was totally chewed out by my then vet when I only got DHPP for Poodle. He said here you have to do lepto.

Now I know I just have to ask for DHLPP and rabies next year -- then we can go to three year on both.

way too many

Only traceable shots for him were DHPP and rabies in May 2009. He was born in November 2008 and I'm not sure he ever got any puppy shots. Yes, it's a lot of things at once, but we're basically starting from scratch.

Poodle has only gotten rabies for the last few years with my vets blessing. In his personal dogs once they reach 9 or so he goes to rabies only.

This clinic is cheap but I think they do try and get extra $.

Edited by Hubcitypam

I took Barkley to the shot clinic today and told them I wanted rabies and 5 way. To me this means DHLPP as opposed to 4 way which is DHPP. They insisted on bordatella and I agreed as he is going to the SPCA neuter clinic in two weeks.

When we got home and looked at the bill they had given him DHPP and Corona (for $20 as opposed to $10 for DHLPP). They said that is what they consider a 5 way. I called my vet and they said in adult dogs a five way to them is DHLPP but in puppies it is DHPP plus Corona. :blink:

Obviously we had a major failure to communicate. Barkley is 2 and has had shots before. I called the shot clinic and they said to bring him back in 2 weeks for DHLPP for $10 more. I am NOT doing that.

5-way is DHLPP. I do not vaccinate my dogs with it. My guys get a 3 year rabies and they are titered to determine if any other vaccinations are needed. I only give Lepto IF I'm travelling to an area where it is a problem.

There is a new vaccine protocol out which calls for reduced vaccinations. The core vaccines are: Rabies, Distemper, Parvo & Hepatitis. The AVMA has also stated that "dogs at low risk of disease exposure may not need to be boostered yearly for most diseases." The schedule can be found HERE.

I discussed the vaccine for leptospirosis with my vet. My dogs are strictly city dogs and not really exposed to the disease. The vaccine covers only a few of the eight strains of leptospirosis, has variable efficacy, does not protect the dog for a full year, and has a very high rate of bad reactions.

I think one of the big deals about leptospirosis is that people can contract the disease from their dogs. If lepto is widespread in an area, vets may be disposed to push the vaccine because of increased risk to the pets' owners.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

DHLPP = Trouble

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest dizzyLu72

This is the first thing I thought of with the term 5-way.. until I realized what you all were talking about.

IMG_0589.jpg

Sorry Jilly'sFullHouse.. hijacked your photo :)

By the way, when you go to a three-year shot, stagger the schedule so your dog isn't getting 3-year DHLPP and 3-year rabies in the same year.

Also, be very careful to redo the rabies before the first shot expires. What some vets are doing is giving a 1-year shot for any dog that is not currently up-to-date on rabies vaccine. So a puppy getting its first rabies shot would get a 1-year in, say, March 2000; in March 2001, the dog could get a three-year. But if the owner waited until April 2004 for the next booster, the vet would insist on a 1-year again.

Also, be very careful to redo the rabies before the first shot expires. What some vets are doing is giving a 1-year shot for any dog that is not currently up-to-date on rabies vaccine. So a puppy getting its first rabies shot would get a 1-year in, say, March 2000; in March 2001, the dog could get a three-year. But if the owner waited until April 2004 for the next booster, the vet would insist on a 1-year again.

Exactly -- it does depend on the vet. The aforementioned shot clinic vet did that with Poodle about 5 years ago when his was lapsed about 3 days -- same month just 3 days late. *poof* it was one year rabies, not three. With my foster girlie hers was about a month late when she came to me and my vet deemed her new shot was 3 year based on old tag.

Edited by Hubcitypam

Around here.....5 way refers to DHPPC vs. 4 way DHPP. Lepto is not a big problem around here right now. I recall when we used to administer DHPPLC though years and years ago. And puppies are more susceptible to the coronavirus so that is perhaps why you were told an age for that vaccine. It is not a big deal that your pup got it. In the grand scheme of things. I, too, am on board with the 'pets are vaccinated way too much' but that doesn't really help the OP. Hope some of this info helps you understand.

Edited by meakah

Pam, I think some folks quit giving the DHLPP because it was felt that "L" was the one most likely to cause bad reactions. 'Course that was the one that my reactive dog never reacted to :lol . We live in close proximity to much wildlife and there is a lot of lepto around here so we get the vaccine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Of course, what you (generic you) do depends upon your local area. Lepto isn't really a problem, as far as my vet is concerned, here in NM. However, if I were down along the Bosque, it may be a different situation.

For my personal dogs, I prefer as minimal a vaccination protocol as possible. But, they are my personal dogs.

I hope no one was offended by my post, as it was only meant to give info. I've been multi-tasking and upon review, it may be considered a bit harsh.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

http://www.dmgreyhounds.net

Guest Swifthounds

Something too kinky for me... B)

But seriously... I would have been surprised (and pissed off) by the inclusion of Corona!

:rotfl

"5 way" is a nonsensical term, as is "distemper" (though to a lesser extent.) The "distemper" vaccine is almost always a combo vaccine. You want a recombinant vaccine if possible, and it should be just distemper, parvo, adeno, and para. That will be any number of alphabet soup designations. Some show it as DA2PP, some as DHPP.

Corona serves no useful purpose in an adult dog. As Dr. Ron Schultz is fond of saying, "Corona is a vaccine in search of disease." About the only thing it does do for an adult dog is increase the chance of vaccine reactions or vaccinosis. IT may be marginally helpful in puppies, but still should not be given together with the distemper combo as they can interfere with each other's seroconversion.

If you really want to do lepto, the "L" in a combo is useless. You would want the separate shot, which usually only covers around 4 common strains (which, ironically aren't the strains that usually make dogs ill in "high lepto" areas). It's also something you would want to give every 6-9 months since it's not a virus.

This is not my dog. This is a dog that is the second one that this relative has dumped on me. This is a dog that was left with two others locked in a house for 4 months being let out twice a day and a bag of dog food being thrown on the floor. They destroyed every piece of furniture and all the flooring in the house before she sent him to me. To say he is having some SA issues is an understatement. This is a dog that has since been to two other homes and been banished to living outside 24/7 due to destruction or inability to get along with other dogs.

Why did I want DHLPP?

1.) He is two years old and has a total vaccination record of one round of shots. I am as minimalist as it comes to vaccinations. but I REALLY think he needs at least this round and another in 3 years. We have no idea if he ever got any puppy shots.

2.) He HAS to have at least DHPP to be neutered. According to experts my old vet obviously was wrong about lepto (and this was a guy that didn't put much stock in bordatella). He insisted on it once a year. Maybe he had a patient die a horrible death from it or something. :dunno That was why I wanted DHLPP.

3.) I do not have the financial resources to take this dog in for multiple shot visits or titers.

I am trying to get him up to date on shots and neutered as best I can. My question was "what does five way mean to you" not "what do you think of five way". If any of you "too many vacines at once" guys want to come get him please do.

According to experts my old vet obviously was wrong about lepto (and this was a guy that didn't put much stock in bordatella). He insisted on it once a year.

I think he was quite wise, Pam.

I wouldn't *worry* about the lepto shot -- maybe scout around to see what prices are for just that one shot. I can't recall what it is at my vet, not much IIRC.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

3.) I do not have the financial resources to take this dog in for multiple shot visits or titers.

I am trying to get him up to date on shots and neutered as best I can. My question was "what does five way mean to you" not "what do you think of five way". If any of you "too many vacines at once" guys want to come get him please do.

Is there not a humane society or low cost clinic that would do the vaccines without an exam charge? Here, the local humane society has the vet do the exam free of charge and all you pay for is the vaccine, so you can get rabies on one visit, distemper on another, and something else separate if you so desire. (They do low cost spay/neuter too, without requiring income qualifications or placing any limit on total numbers. And their senior vet is a doll who moved his practice closer to the Humane society so he could cut it to part time and split his time half and half with the HS and his practice.)

Technically speaking, the distemper with no lepto and no corona does vaccinate for 5 diseases. DA2PP and DHPP are distemper, adeno 1&2,parvo, and parainfluenza. Adeno 1&2 are commonly written as either A2, A, or H. Though you didn't get the vaccine you wanted, he's at least been vaccinated for the distemper combo, so he should be fine, provided he seroconverts.

If the corona cost you more than the distemper without it, or if the distemper with lepto was the same price as distemper with nothing else, they should refund you the difference or offer you the separate (better) lepto free of charge.

Guest BiancasMom

We do Lepto seperate here in WA. Lepto is getting more common here so the vaccine covers 4 strains. Because of this our 5-way or 4-way "combo" vax does not include Lepto. The combo vaccines I've seen that contain lepto usually only cover 1 strain. People still call the distemper the 5 way though.