First Aid Help Needed Please

Maggie was out playing in the snowo and I watched her pull up her foot quickly. She was back in the "woods" part of our backyard and although we keep it quite free of ground debris, there always an occassional stick/branch/rock/etc. Anyway, she must have stepped on something. She came to me right away and wanted back inside. Blood trail. Not a CSI scene, but not a spot here and there either. The booboo is between her toe pads - I think - it's hard to see in there but when I press a clean 4x4, it fills with blood. So i've been applying pressure for at least 5 minutes. It's still trikling. And while I'm typoing this, she licking like crazy. OK - got her muzzle on her. So - at what point do I need to get her to the vet? Keep applying pressure? I'll bet the temporary "scab" pops open ever time she stands up. i don't' think she's in pain.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

give it a good warm water rinse to remove and dirt/debris and put some polysporin on it and put a nice layer of gauze and vet wrap it. if it bleeds through that then worry, if not change the bandage the next day and check for infection.

Vegas is the master at hurting his feet, you should have seen all the blood at christmas when he cut his toe on ice running around the yard.

OK - it's cleaned , EMT sprayed and loosely wrapped. i put her on the "best" dog bed in front of the fireplace. That usually puts her into a 3 hour coma. Hopefully that time period will be enough to get it to completely stop bleeding. Otherwise - off to see our bud, Dr. Bill.

ETA - oops - where's my manners. Thank you for the responses!

Edited by maggiespet

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

Guest Shermanator

We are the masters of foot injuries over here!

Is it a webbing injury? Sherman just nipped the webbing of his paw while running at the bark park. By the time we walked back to the car, it ripped out entirely (OW.) I hope Miss Maggie feels better soon!

Is it a webbing injury?

Still not sure. It's so hard to see in there. Of course, I could ask Sam because he had his ginormous head in there as I was trying to see. :blink: I told him to go take a seat but I guess he really wanted to check on his bestest friend. The good news is that the wrap isn't soaked yet.

Although I absolutely would not hesitate to take her to the vet if it was needed, the thought of the $300 I may have just saved myself is enough to make me giddy. Maggie has been with our family for 4 years and I just might be over the "newborn" stage where I run her to the vet for every knick and fart. :blush

Guest Energy11

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own...

***I would also recommend a toddler sock and bootie, to prevent further injury. Good Luck!

Did she tear her web? Those bleed a lot and heal slowly. Vets say to keep it open so it can scab over and heal. If you must wrap, don't wrap too tightly or you'll make it worse. The best thing you can do is keep it clean and keep her quiet. Don't let her run around or it'll just tear more.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest mcsheltie

I wouldn't even wrap it once it stops bleeding. There is snow on the ground and it isn't going to be hard to keep it clean. Unless Maggie licks it so much that is doesn't heal I think things heal better, faster when left alone.

Wrapping a foot wound allows it to become damp and moist, which is a breeding ground for bacteria.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

dont forget to keep that foot clean and dry for the next bit so it can heal up nice, when it starts to heal it will get itchy and she will lick it back open try to keep her away from it. Vegas has done horrible things to his webbing between some of his toes he has no webbing, i have learned to wrap up feet as well as my vet (he taught me what to do so i dont have to go on for a simple foot wrap)

I hope she feels better and hopefully its not too bad of a cut/tear :dogcookie

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Plastic bag on her foot for trips outside, and you probably need to leash-walk her to keep her from running around and tearing it back open.

And if you need any first aid supplies, you might want to make a quick trip to the drug store. I think we're sending our snow/ice storm up your way, and you might have trouble getting out. Of course, you're in the North, so you may be better at it than we are in the South. But we had snow Sunday night, ice Monday, and roads are still closed. There's a video online of an enterprising lad ice skating on Peachtree Street.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We have been going through assorted foot injuries here in this house. White doggies are notorious for their scratches and scrapes on their feet. The snow has played havoc with them.

Before the first blizzard, on a Sunday, Idol came in with a deep cut on the side of her foot. It was Sunday and I did not want to go the ER. I was sure she needed a stitch/staple or two. I went out and looked in the yard and found a small piece of glass in the area where she usually pees. We used styptic powder to get the bleeding to stop and then EMT gel, vet wrap and a sock and cleaned up the carpeting. I said if she isn't better on Monday, off to the vet. Well then it snowed, so there was not going to the vet. I kept her socked for a few days, cleaned the bandage every couple of days and booted her when she went out in the snow. I left the boot on if we went out, because I knew she would remove the bandage otherwise.

Paul scraped his pad really badly, too, running on the ice. Vet wrap, boot and he has been fine.

If you feel confident, that you have everything under control, then don't make the $300 visit. If you are nervous, or think it is more than you can deal with, go to the vet. I think, over the years, there are things I would have run to the nearest vet for at other times in our life, that we are now able to manage ourselves.

Forgot to say; I hope Miss Maggie will be fine. I am sure that you are a good nurse, Jane.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan had a freak incident with some garden fencing this past summer and he had a cut in the toe webbing on one of his front feet. I cleaned it and wrapped it to stop him from licking it and to keep it dry. I kept it wrapped for 3 or so days (changed the bandage every day), because without the wrap it would tear back open and start bleeding again. But once a nice scab formed I took the wrap off and kept it clean and dry. Thankfully he didn't try to lick it after the first day. I also stopped him from running until the wound healed. I hope Maggie heals soon!

~Lindsay~

Keep it clean & as dry as possible. Watch for any signs of infection. If it is a tear in the webbing then put her on restrictions including leash walking only. My girl got a goodly tear in her webbing from running into a fence. She was limping big time. We were out of town & critter sitter did first aid. Told her leash walks only. My girl was limping so badly critter sitter thought leash right then wasn't necessary. Something in the yard moved, my girl took off & split the webbing the rest of the way. OUCH!! Took foooorrrrevverrrrrr to heal. Finally did though, without any infection or vet care. Sure would have preferred if she could have kept her webbing. Leash walk & be very patient with the healing.

Guest 2dogs4cats

I have heard that super glue works well for minor cuts and scrapes. Personally, I haven't used super glue but have used used New Skin Liquid bandage on my pups and it works fine. If stops the bleeding and prevents infection. It does sting a bit as I have also used it on myself. It dries fast and then I cover it with a boot or sock.

Thanks so much for all this great advise.

It has stopped bleeding but I really can't pinpoint where the cut is. I think it's about where the leathery pad connects to her toe. It's on one of her dark toes and I don't want to fiddle with it too much. I'm thinking close is good enough as I spray the EMT spray in the right area. I've taken all pads and wrapping off. Just spray and one of DS's little socks (and some loose vet wrap to keep the sock up) DS is tickled that his sock (clean) is being put to use for Maggie! And leash walking. Because this sassy girl just won't cooperate with the no zoomies rule. Even for cookies!!!

And yes - Maggie would like Donnie Dude's company (any time B) ), she'd love to commisserate and compare scars with Mr. Magic, and Toni - :cheers (except with the correct adult beverages :lol )

DS is tickled that his sock (clean) is being put to use for Maggie! And leash walking. Because this sassy girl just won't cooperate with the no zoomies rule. Even for cookies!!!

This type of injury taught me to keep baby socks in the first aid kit. Ah, she sounds like my girl alright. Zoom first, feel the pain later. :rolleyes:

Guest krey1025

I just got back from taking Peet to the vet to get his limp checked - I think his paw pad was irritated by the salt, ice and snow, and his toe is really tender. He got some anti-inflamatory meds, full blood work, and a nice $250 bill for me! :) I just wanted to say thanks for all the great information and I'm definitely going to be stocking up on socks, tape, etc for my new pup (I'm a first time dog owner). Anyway, thanks! and I hope Maggie is feeling better!

I just got back from taking Peet to the vet to get his limp checked - I think his paw pad was irritated by the salt, ice and snow, and his toe is really tender. He got some anti-inflamatory meds, full blood work, and a nice $250 bill for me! :) I just wanted to say thanks for all the great information and I'm definitely going to be stocking up on socks, tape, etc for my new pup (I'm a first time dog owner). Anyway, thanks! and I hope Maggie is feeling better!

I saw you live in the Bronx. I am originally from the Bronx. Where are you located? I still have my cousins in Throggs Neck. In fact, I was there today.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds