Gonna Need A Lot Of Prayers This Friday

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the update was so long in coming. The dentist is almost 2 hrs from me. Nana did very well. It did take her longer to wake up, but that was to be expected for an old lady.

She lost 3 of her 4 canines. I was surprised that she kept any of them. She lost 3 other teeth as well. Believe it or not, she still has several left in her mouth!

She had a very hard time trying to lay down in the car. But I wasn't moving until she did. I ended up bringing the nurse out to help me. But once down, she slept all the way home. At home, the snow kind of revived her a bit (we have about 6 inches of soft powder.) Anyway, boy did she have to pee! Luckily she also poo'd, so that meant once she came in, she could sleep the rest of the day. We got home about 5 PM.

Fot those of you that read Soap Box, know my 4Runner died Dec 28. They called and said it was ready today, so I got Nana settled down and could tell right away that she wasn't going anywhere for a while. She was out cold. So I took advantage of that and called my friend and he took me to get the SUV. (It's running great by the way). Now since I was already on the road and Nana needs something really soft to eat, I decided to hit the store and pick up 2 doz eggs. That should last the week. She was in the exact same position as when I left her.

So..........that's why the delay in the update.

I cooked up some liver and eggs (Pearl's favorite) for Onyx and she did eat some. Enough to get her pain meds down and the antibiotic down. But she prefers Momma's meatloaf to liver and eggs. She snarfed that down. SO I guess I'm going to be getting a whole lot of meatloaf mix tomorrow.

She's resting comfortably right now. I'm going to take her out in about an hour (she has a dog door, but I don't want her going out alone). Then hopefully she'll crash for the night. (she usually goes out in the middle of the night), So I'm hoping there will still be a little anesthesia left to keep her asleep all night.

Now let's hope she has an uneventful recovery (too many times I hear of something happening a day or week later)

Guest LindsaySF

It sounds like she did well, and the sleepiness is to be expected after the anesthesia. I would expect a girl her age to do a lot of sleeping anyway. :D Fingers crossed that she perks up soon. :goodluck

Well I've slept the last 3 nights on the sofa. Onyx was VERY wobbly from the tramadol and I did not want her doing the 6 steps it takes to go outside. But since I have a dog door, I had to be able to hear her get up.

She goes outside in the middle of the night almost every night.

But, she's down to just one tramadol today and she'll get none tomorrow. Her mouth looks good, she's eating (still eating Momma's meatloaf and tapioca pudding)

But she seems to be over the worst of it.

Thanks for all the prayers!!

Well I slept on the sofa again last night, but not because Onyx was not improving, but because we have ICE. A raging ice storm. Ice all over the place.

So I helped her 'slide' down the stairs and while she was navigating the yard (luckily she broke thru the ice into snow with each step, so didn't slip and fall), I pour salt all over the steps (the pet safe stuff).

Luckily it worked because right now the steps are just wet.

She just went outside on her own a moment ago, did the stairs without me.

And she polished off a big bowl of eggs and meatloaf. She's going to be too spoiled to go back to eating anything else.

Now I'm getting worried. She's eating fine. Her mouth seems to be healing fine, but her back end is giving out.

The first time she had trouble walking I thought she slept wrong. But it keeps happening. And this morning she got stuck outside in a snow/ice drift. When I pulled her out, she had trouble with her back legs. I had to carry her back in. I'm worried that we fixed the teeth but now her back end is giving out. She is after all 15.

Mary Pat, I'm glad Onyx's dental went well. Re: her back end, would it be an idea to give her some gabapentin? The reason I suggest it is because just before Christmas I thought we'd have to put Jamey (our osteo tripod) to sleep because of his hind end giving out when he was out pottying. I called the vet and they suggested gabapentin (2 x 100 mg/day). It has worked well and got Jamey back to hopping around again to potty. We know he has the osteo back in his hip, but we can really see the gabapentin has helped him.

Good luck with Onyx.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

MP, The vet told me it's more like a nerve pain medication. Our 14 yo Lab has been on it for about 4 years. We could really see the difference in Jamey though. Good luck Onyx, baby.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest bluefawn

Saying prayers for Onyx for Friday! Penny just turned 13 and I had her dental done last month. She did fine, and I'm sure your girl will too. Keep us posted.

I didn't get a chance to go to the vets yet, so I just gave her a novox. It seems to have helped. She still is having a hard time getting off her bed, but at least her back legs are moving in the right direction when she walks.

I'm going to switch over to buffered aspirin per the vets recommendation from last week. But she might need the gabapentin or prevacid.

But she's eating well, her mouth is healing nicely.

She RAN! :confetti My little old lady ran this morning in the fresh snow (but on the none icy path I made for them).

I've been giving her 1/2 Novox twice a day since her back end was giving her so much trouble. And it must be working. She seems to be feeling fine. I just have to get a ramp on the steps. She's still struggling with going down stairs.

Guest FreddyGirl

MP- When I put up the ramp for Bobbi, rear end wobblying and front left shoulder issue, I had the stairs covered in that outdoor green carpet. I had been concerned that it would ice up. It hasn't. I shovel it off constantly though while it is snowing so it doesn't buiold up. It is very cheap to buy and has worked like a charm for me. Got it at Lowes I believe.

GREAT news and update on Onyx.

We NEED pictures of this lovely lady!!!!!!!!

We want PHOTOS.

We want photos