Old Girl Groans When She Gets Up!

Guest Twogreythounds

Guest Twogreythounds

I've had my girl for almost 2 years now, she will be 11 this year and is my oldest greyhound. About 6-9 months ago she started groaning when she got up. Its especially bad after a long nap or when she wakes up in the morning. Lately I've noticed that she's doing it more (every time she gets up). I've also noticed that it takes her longer to get up and to be steady on her feet. I've mentioned this to my vet two times but she wasn't concerned and didn't think it was related to aging or pain. Of course she will not do it at the vet's office because she is too nervous to lie down. I'm not sure if this is part of the aging process, my dog's developed quirk, or something more serious. Once she's up, she's ready to go - run, play, walk, you name it! She has no other problem moving that I have noticed, we go on daily walks without issue, and we still have greyt fun pouncing after toys!

She also has a problem choking when she drinks water (maybe once every 3-4 days) and will sometimes have to cough a few times. The vet has heard this but also isn't concerned. She does the "greyhound reverse sneeze" every couple of days too, I don't know if that is related.

I'm asking because I'm not 100% happy with our vet and have been thinking of switching. It may be hard to determine if these are sufficient concerns froma chat board but I'm afraid our vet is missing something. She is my second dog, my first is younger, so I don't have anything to compare these problem too. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on here?

Anna is 10-1/2 and I have noticed lately that it is taking her longer to get up, and when she does get up, she stretches multiple times and longer than ever. She moans while stretching, but I think it's more of an "oh that feels better" moan than anything else. Just like your girl, once Anna has stretched and walked around a little bit, she's raring to go!

Welcome to GT! I hope that others with seniors will chime in with their experiences. Oh and it wouldn't hurt to try another Vet, if nothing else, for a consultation if you feel it's warranted after getting more responses to your inquiry.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Does your vet know how to check for lumbosacral stenosis? Someone on GT will probably come up with the link to Dr. Suzanne Stack, which I don't have at the moment. But that's what led one of our dogs to groan under the circumstances you mention. It also seems to be correlated to laryngeal paralysis, which might lead to difficulty drinking as it does with eating, though I'm pretty sure no causal relationship has been discovered one way or the other between LS and LP. You know, correlation is just association; it doesn't prove causality. (You can do an archive search here on GT and see what other people have to say about these conditions, though you may or may not know that each term you use must be of more than three characters.)

If it is LS, it's not hard to control with acupuncture/chiropractic, though it is progressive. (We can help you find a certified practitioner in your area if you like.) In later stages there are medicines that can help for a period of time. If it is LS, you should do something for it before it gets very bad. I think the sooner acupuncture/chiropractic is started, the better.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Old dogs do groan - just as old people do. They get stiff. Having said that you want to make sure that it's not a symptom of something else, so continue to keep a watchful eye on her.

I'd be a tad more concerned about her choking on water. If your vet isn't well up on Laryngeal paralysis you might want to ask for a referral or second opinion on that one.

Hmm. Just went back to double check on her age and she's only ten and a half. For some reason I was thinking twelve..

Ten and a half is too young IMHO to be doing an 'old dog groan'. It is just my opinion, and some dogs are more vocal than others. How much exercise does she get/can she tolerate?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Does your vet know how to check for lumbosacral stenosis? Someone on GT will probably come up with the link to Dr. Suzanne Stack, which I don't have at the moment.

Just to chime in--LS is NOT a "greyhound disease." All breeds can be afflicted (as well as people). If your vet doesn't know about it, or how to check for it, you NEED a new vet. My dog has a mild case of (suspected--as I am not paying $2,000 for an MRI to confirm) of LS.

There's really no reason, based on the OP's description, to assume anything other than old dog aches and pains--arthritis most likely. I'd ask for 10 days or so of an NSAID and try those (they will want recent blood work before doing that) and see if it helps. If it does, then it's safe to assume she's a bit stiff upon rising (classic arthritis symptom for both dogs AND people).

It's really important that older dogs get regular, gentle exercise, and stay slim (breed appropriate weight). Muscle tone is probably the single most important thing--strong muscles help support aging joints.

Basically the same things they tell people like me, with arthritis. Stay slim, stay active, work out your muscles gently but regularly, and take NSAIDs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Magic, who just turned 10, has been groaning when he lays down and as he stretches while laying especially since the cold set in. He doesn't when he gets up or stretches while standing.

On a side note, yesterday, I noticed he was stiff upon getting up especially in his one leg where quite a bit of muscle was removed after he was attacked a few years ago. I'm not sure if he wiped out in the snow yesterday because he was fine in the morning. There's no swelling and he puts weight on the leg and he did the stairs just fine. It just appears to be stiffness.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest PhillyPups

I read the title and thought you were talking about me. :lol :lol

My experience has been that the biggest change in my seniors has been in their 12th year, then they usually start acting a bit more like an older dog would (with the exception of Gremlin, she refuses to be an old dog :lol ).

Myself, I would search for a grey savvy vet in the area. I usually go for recommendations from adoption groups or greyhound owners in the area.

It is scarey when we have our first "older" dog. When I had SugarBear, years ago, my vet in Lancaster was greyhound savvy (in fact he had 2 of his own) and Sugs (at 14.5) was the oldest greyhound patient he experienced at that time. He did not hesitate to research and communicate with other vets, so I was very comfortable with him - and he loved SugarBear and she loved him.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

I too vote with PhillyPups, as we all know large dogs age faster,, she may need something as simple as a supplement,,, find a vet you are happy with,,, keep us posted :)

My Robin is 9 now, and when he was 8 1/2, I started noticing more stiffness, and he developed a limp in his right wrist. The vet said it was arthritis, even though he was only 8, and recommended supplements. Supplements have worked wonders for him. I hadn't even realized how stiff and uncomfortable he had been after a nap or laying down for a while until it was gone. Now, he doesn't do the groaning stiffness nearly as often, and if he does, I know it's a sign that his arthritis is flaring up. He even does zoomies and everything like he used to.

What I'm trying to say is that I hadn't realized the pattern of symptoms until they weren't there anymore. And I don't know a lot about this stuff--this is my first dog of my own, and our dog growing up had cancer and died at 7. So I have very little experience with dogs getting older. HOWEVER, I immediately thought of arthritis when I read your title, let alone your post. So I'm surprised that your vet "wasn't concerned" and "didn't think it was related to aging or pain", when my vet thought of arthritis instantly even in an 8-year-old dog. Robin was too young to be doing the "old dog groan" too, but at least my vet recognized that.

If the vet didn't at least mention the possibility of arthritis, then my instincts go with yours in saying that you should maybe look for another vet. JMHO, of course.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I had Magic at the vet this morning about his problem (turned out it was a cut - nothing too serious). Anyway, he thinks Magic's groaning could be arthritis and suggested I keep doing what I'm doing - glucosamine supplement.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

The best supplement that I've ever used for arthritis (sp) is Actiflex 5000. It was originally formulated for horses, but a very good dogman recommended it to me a few years ago. If you decide to try it, use the liquid formulation rather than the powder. For some reason the liquid seems to work better. They are now making a version for dogs, but I have not tried it. I still use the original horse formula.

Edited by JoanBelleIsle

Guest Twogreythounds

Thanks for the advice!! I will do more research on LS and LP! The vet did say that it could be something with her larynx but nothing wa really communicated to us. Her groan does not sound like a this feels good groan. I found a very good holistic/homeopathic vet in the area with an acupuncturist. The prices are ridiculous but from reading your posts I think this could be something serious and I'd rather my girl was comfortable and happy.

My old girl was having a greyt time yesterday running in the backyard with her brother and new sister. After a little while I noticed that she wasn't just panting from all the fun - it was a raspy/slightly labored sound. We stopped playing so she could catch her breath and after a little while she was back to normal.

Our adoptions group is amazing and a super greyt resource so I will ask them about it too! Thanks for everyone's help!! I will do my research and take her to the good vet!

When I read your post I thought maybe you had been in my house :lol Our senior girl Tess who is 11 1/2 groans and moans in her sleep, when she changes position and when she first wakes up, she also sometimes chokes on her water but that is because she trys to drink too fast because she is in a hurry to get her snack. When Tess first started with the moaning I was concerned but I have come to realize she is fine it is just a new quirk for her in her aging process. As some others have said we all have changes as we age.

That sounds just like Pretty Girl. We adopted her at the age of 12 1/2 and she's fairly spry, but as the weather started getting colder in the fall she was having a bit of a hard time getting up and getting going. We tried acupuncture, but she hated it and we saw no results (which is a shame, because it worked wonders for our Shadow for a couple of years).

We have both dogs on Springtime Fresh Factors and Joint Health but she needs a bit more. I didn't want to have her on meds all the time, so I tried adding Glucosamine/CMO/Digestive enzymes from the Greyhound Gang (you have to scroll down the page to see them). She's been on them for about 6 weeks now and the difference is amazing! It still takes her a moment to get up, but no more groans. She seems to be so much more comfortable now. I'm happy to be keeping her off the NSAIDs for now. I'll use them when necessary, but I'm really happy with the supplements. :)

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)