Body Language Crib Sheet Needed

Does anyone know where I can go to print off a 'crib sheet' of dog body language? I don't want to infringe copyright so I need it to be free-to-use, but I've been asked to give a talk to a scout group about PAT dogs and they want me to include a short 'stay safe around dogs' section.

I don't have time to go looking for photos and print them off (my printer is feeling very uncooperative about photo sizes right now :rolleyes:) so a simple A4 sheet would work best for me so I can print some off and hand them around.

Thanks for any input! :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greybookends

I don't think you can rely on what most people consider proper language. I think every dog has it's own unique set of signs. There can be some generalities but I think every dog is a unique individual just as people and what works for one does not necessarily work for the next. We've all seen this in the different topics here. Ask a question and you get 50 different answers, none wrong, just different. I've known dogs that will wag their tail even if they are about to attack. I've known dogs that give no warning or known body language if they are going to bite. I've also heard dogs make throaty growl y noises that people mistake for growls and the dog is just excited and saying hello. I think if you teach respect and caution they will be better served than with a chart that may or may not be accurate. Good luck with the kids. :)

It's not quite what you asked for, but the Kennel Club website has a section specifically for children about keeping safe round dogs, which features a '20 paw code' sheet to download and print out (multicoloured but maybe you can edit that!) and an interactive game. KC Safe and Sound Scheme

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Bang_o_rama

I think that the human's behavior and body language is more pertinent. For instance, I am always telling neighborhood kids that running up to a strange dog while shrieking in delight, then throwing your arms around the dog's neck and showering it with kisses on its nose is NOT a great idea because not all dogs are as docile as Bang....

I have even once or twice told kids that she is a bit snappy just because it scares the hell out of me when they do that.

~D~

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I hear what you are saying, Greybookends, but one has to start somewhere, and kids need some basic input even if it's only 'don't hug a strange dog' and 'don't stare into a dog's eyes' etc. I need some simple pictures to talk about with them, and then I can cover the 'every dog is different so don't take this as gospel' thing. It is important, I agree. :nod

Robin M and Docs Doctor - thanks! Those looks useful! :thumbs-up

I think this sort of thing would be better served as a video montage, since body language is poorly represented with even still photographs. The best example I can think of is when Capri flirts with people. She lowers her head, ears back, mouth slightly open, and wags her head from side to side while approaching the person. A still photo might look like a fearful dog.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Very useful, but I'd worry that some of the older Scouts might have questions about the meaning of "arousal" and I'd hate to be the one to explain various meanings for the word.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

:lol At Hubcitypam! :lol

I think I'm going to use several of these suggestions. Thank you to EVERYONE who's added links, I've looked at them all and they're all good, but I'm picking our two or three to print off and use. The Diamonds in the Ruff one is good, I think.

Thanks! :thumbs-up

Judy, I found this this morning,

http://www.greyhounds4me.co.uk/11.html

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross