Goldie's Not Good :-(

Guest Energy11

How is everybody feeling this morning? Better, I hope!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. As you probably already know, brain tumors are a roller coaster ride.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. As you probably already know, brain tumors are a roller coaster ride.

We aren't 100% that it IS a tumor, but, I mean, what else can it be? All her bloodwork was good. EKG good. Blood pressure good.

Soooo, we start Phenobarb today, and I have the rectal Valium handy! It is a day by day thing now.

Thanks for your love and good wishes!

Guest BlueCrab

Just throwing stuff out here, but any chance you have a carbon monoxide issue from a heater or anything? Odd that two would be affected at the same time. Any odd things that you or your family have been experiencing that might point towards a faulty heater or something??

Guest Energy11

Just throwing stuff out here, but any chance you have a carbon monoxide issue from a heater or anything? Odd that two would be affected at the same time. Any odd things that you or your family have been experiencing that might point towards a faulty heater or something??

Good call on that possibility! As a retired Paramedic, I have seen A LOT of carbon monixide poisoning. In OUR case, we use only high efficiency space heaters, as the house is VERY well insulated, and small. We have a heat pump, but ... trust me, it hasn't been serviced in YEARS and we rent. IF we had been using Kerosene, or something similar, I, too, would think the same. We humans are also fine.

Guest Energy11

k

Hang in there, Dee. Sorry you are having to deal with this. You are amazing to your pups!

Thank you, Sweetie! So are you!

Goldie is still having rear end problems .... to ME, it is sounding more like a stroke. I spoke with my friend/former employer and former vet, and he says a stroke OR being post-ictal from a seizure can cause this. I have opted to treat both ... Phenobarb for the "seizures," and 1/2 81 mg low dose aspirin with a generic Pepcid AC, daily. I give Curfew this (the aspirin) PER DR. COUTO. Can't hurt!

I'm sorry, I just saw this. I really, really hope it's not a tumour and that it's something easily fixable. You're both in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Our last greyhound, Jackson was diagnosed with a tumor at the top of his nose. It grew aggressively and ultimately he had an optic tumor. The news was bad but h e did not have pai n or seizures. We said goodbye to him on the morning that he woke up with problems breathing. Heartbreaking loss be causes we loved. Him so much but he didn't suffer.

Guest Energy11

Our last greyhound, Jackson was diagnosed with a tumor at the top of his nose. It grew aggressively and ultimately he had an optic tumor. The news was bad but h e did not have pai n or seizures. We said goodbye to him on the morning that he woke up with problems breathing. Heartbreaking loss be causes we loved. Him so much but he didn't suffer.

One of THE main things is ... to respect them, and not let them suffer. THAT is love! You did the right thing!

Guest TeddysMom

I just read the update and I'm sorry that the news wasn't better. I still am hoping that it is not a brain tumor and if Goldie has had a stroke that could be what is causing the change in her. They can come back from a stroke pretty well. I know it is going to be hard for you to watch and wait but I know you will do what is best for Goldie and just love her for as long as you can. Prayers and hugs to both of you from all of us.

I'm sorry to read the update. I was hoping it was something you would be able to treat but like you say, if it is tumor, there isn't much you can do but love her while you have her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

I just read the update and I'm sorry that the news wasn't better. I still am hoping that it is not a brain tumor and if Goldie has had a stroke that could be what is causing the change in her. They can come back from a stroke pretty well. I know it is going to be hard for you to watch and wait but I know you will do what is best for Goldie and just love her for as long as you can. Prayers and hugs to both of you from all of us.

Thank you! i will be treating for seizure and stroke at this point. My pet insurance WOULD cover an MRI, BUT, ... Goldie does terribly under sedation, AND ... even IF we found a tumor... I would treat with only palliative care.

I'm sorry to read the update. I was hoping it was something you would be able to treat but like you say, if it is tumor, there isn't much you can do but love her while you have her.

Without an MRI, we really don't know WHAT it is, BUT, we can treat the symptoms, and keep her comfortable. Thaks for your good wishes. MY DOGS are first in my life!

Guest Adrianne

:grouphug to you, Dee. I'm sorry for the update you've gotten, but you're right: you take it day by day. I'll keep her and you constantly in my thoughts and prayers. You have my number.

Guest borzoix4

Good call on that possibility! As a retired Paramedic, I have seen A LOT of carbon monixide poisoning. In OUR case, we use only high efficiency space heaters, as the house is VERY well insulated, and small. We have a heat pump, but ... trust me, it hasn't been serviced in YEARS and we rent. IF we had been using Kerosene, or something similar, I, too, would think the same. We humans are also fine.

As one that had this situation, after reading the first post, the similarities are striking to something else. I do have an odd ball possibibility. If your home is very new, falmalhide can make similar in reactions. This would be from glues in wallpapers, carpet paddings, add these up with space heaters that have heated coils, and little ventalation due to cold weather... Does she 'perk' up a little if like in fresh air? Falmadihyde has a residual build up. Putting on something as simple as a bathroom vent would help.

I am probably grasping at straws but having seen this with my dogs years ago within a few weeks of installing new carpet into a home, and middle of winter with a closed up house, the symptoms were just as confusing to the vets.

In our thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Guest Energy11

As one that had this situation, after reading the first post, the similarities are striking to something else. I do have an odd ball possibibility. If your home is very new, falmalhide can make similar in reactions. This would be from glues in wallpapers, carpet paddings, add these up with space heaters that have heated coils, and little ventalation due to cold weather... Does she 'perk' up a little if like in fresh air? Falmadihyde has a residual build up. Putting on something as simple as a bathroom vent would help.

I am probably grasping at straws but having seen this with my dogs years ago within a few weeks of installing new carpet into a home, and middle of winter with a closed up house, the symptoms were just as confusing to the vets.

In our thoughts and prayers for all of you.

WOW! You guys are soo smart and perceptive! No, this house is not that new, AND, it is all hardwood flooring and tile. I have AREA rugs down, because my five can't walk on bare flooring. I HATE HEAT, so I keep a window cracked at all times.

This house is a RENTAL, and we rent, with the option that we do 90% of our repairs. I am pretty sure all is well with the environmental part of living here, BUT, it IS something to look into. I do keep a window cracked/open at ALL times, due to the fact I love cold air, and it is just plain healtiher!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

While we're at it, I had a cat that had similar reactions to insecticide. Could that be a possibility?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

While we're at it, I had a cat that had similar reactions to insecticide. Could that be a possibility?

I have been thinking of all the options, and we use ONLY ADAMS Flea and Tick MIst, and that is used on the bees, flies, etc. I am ULTRA careful. It is FINALLY cold enough where we use nothing ON the dogs, and there are no insects or snakes. I do use monthy heartworm protections, though.

Oh, no. Not the dx that I expected. I'm so sorry, Dee. If that's what it is, then I pray that you have many, many more good days with her. You're the best Mom!:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead