Slow Feed Bowls

Guest kar

Anyone out there use the bowls that are intended to make dogs eat slower. I just bought one but want to make sure that they don't cause bloat the way my luck has been running.

Guest NeroAmber

chain in the bowl :blink: My girl ate one of my alice bands within the first week we had her- she was so fast she had swallowed it before my OH could stop her- and he was standing right next to her- it fell from my head to the floor and literally one second later had been eaten... so I'd be wary of chains in the bowl- they;d have to be pretty determined to swallow a chain but I can imagine my girl would have eaten it quite happily without noticing in her first month with us- what with her extreme food obsession- she yaks it down like a bird- so no chewing occurs to warn of impending chain! :lol

Seriously though- surely it poses a danger to very foodie hounds? Or am I not giving my girl enough credit?

To combat her food obsession- though I have the time to do it where others may not- is to observe every meal, by hand feeding her her meal, small parts at a time when she's calm, and by holding her bowl and lifting it every few gulps so she gets used to the idea that food IS coming back, she WILL get to eat and she DOESN'T have to eat as quickly as possible before another dog fights her for it- she's really improved since we've had her, though it's been slow! (she has a bad past- hence food-baggage)

If you have the time are those options you might try? Or have you tried and it's not worked out for you?

chain in the bowl :blink: My girl ate one of my alice bands within the first week we had her- she was so fast she had swallowed it before my OH could stop her- and he was standing right next to her- it fell from my head to the floor and literally one second later had been eaten... so I'd be wary of chains in the bowl- they;d have to be pretty determined to swallow a chain but I can imagine my girl would have eaten it quite happily without noticing in her first month with us- what with her extreme food obsession- she yaks it down like a bird- so no chewing occurs to warn of impending chain! :lol

Seriously though- surely it poses a danger to very foodie hounds? Or am I not giving my girl enough credit?

To combat her food obsession- though I have the time to do it where others may not- is to observe every meal, by hand feeding her her meal, small parts at a time when she's calm, and by holding her bowl and lifting it every few gulps so she gets used to the idea that food IS coming back, she WILL get to eat and she DOESN'T have to eat as quickly as possible before another dog fights her for it- she's really improved since we've had her, though it's been slow! (she has a bad past- hence food-baggage)

If you have the time are those options you might try? Or have you tried and it's not worked out for you?

The key is to use a large gauge chain. One large enough that they can't swallow it, and don't even think of it.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

If I put a tennis ball in my girls food dish she would pick it up and put it aside to play with when she is done eating! Tennis balls come a close second after food!

june

If I put a tennis ball in my girls food dish she would pick it up and put it aside to play with when she is done eating! Tennis balls come a close second after food!

june

mmm...fill the tennis ball w/ food! :yay

i think premire products makes a purple disk which can be unscrewed and filled w/ kibble. that will keep her busy and fed!

I put a smaller dish inside the dish and my dogs simply eat around it. They do get yogurt in the small dish,

IMG_0085.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****