Sardines

RobinM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this thread, I looked for sardines the last time I went to the store. In the tuna aisle, there were only teeny tiny tins of sardines, but in the Goya aisle, they had these HUGE 15oz tins of sardines in tomato sauce (no oil) for less than the price of the teeny ones. I bought 3.

So at the checkout, the cashier said, "I love these over white rice!". When I told her that they weren't for me, they were for my dogs, she said, "You're giving them to DOGS?!?", and looked at me like I was out of my mind. :lol

The dogs loved them! I'll have to give them another tin today for Sardine Saturday. :)

Edited by tamborine

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

After reading this thread, I looked for sardines the last time I went to the store. In the tuna aisle, there were only teeny tiny tins of sardines, but in the Goya aisle, they had these HUGE 15oz tins of sardines in tomato sauce (no oil) for less than the price of the teeny ones. I bought 3.

So at the checkout, the cashier said, "I love these over white rice!". When I told her that they weren't for me, they were for my dogs, she said, "You're giving them to DOGS?!?", and looked at me like I was out of my mind. :lol

They dogs loved them! I'll have to give them another tin today for Sardine Saturday. :)

Yup, those are the good wons :lol Let us know how it goes!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Profgumby

Just thought I'd update as well. I gave them the sardines as a topper in their evening food. I put what amounted to one fish in each bowl. (I got 3 servings for each this way) The girls sniffed at the food bowl and almost dove in face first! Everything that wasn't sardine or pumpkin went flying!

So I think we can have stinky fish Friday here! My wife will love it,(not) me eating Kippered herring, anchovy pizza or anchovy sauce on pasta and the girls wiping out some sardines!

:gh_bow

Edited by Profgumby

Ours get sardines (a tin split between the three of them) in olive oil, once a week. They have officially been dubbed Stinky Fish Saturdays and the pack comes looking for me Saturday AM if I happen to forget!

And we call it "deeny night" :lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Before I even saw this thread I picked up a fresh frozen package of sardines at the local Asian market. Got them home and began to wonder if it was safe to feed the dogs because of the bones. These aren't cooked, they are lined up little silver guys, 3" - 4" long and frozen. They are packed in water (can see blood tinged in the water). Are they safe to feed the dogs? If not, I'll toss them, they weren't expensive.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Totally safe. Feed 'em!

Thank you! You just made two dogs very happy!

Nice score! Whole raw fish are totally safe to feed. Just keep an eye out if you have a gulper.

I do have a gulper, so much so that he's had a tough time twice in one week w/bones from a chicken foot and from something in Xkaliber (I think). Should I chop up the sardines really fine? I'm really worried about this guy and bones.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014