The Bump

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

riley has started something new and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. whenever we go outside she will walk up to me and throw her right hip into my leg. i will scratch her back and if i stop she will bump me again.and it's not a light bump either. what's up with this?

Guest Gweneth06

I'm not sure why, but can say that my girl does this also. She just comes up to me outside in the yard and will throw her side/backend into me. She also does this sometimes, especially when it's cold out and we come back in and I'm trying to take her coat off. Not sure if there's a specific reasoning behind this or not myself :unsure

Wendy does this, too. I call it the "butt dance". She will offer me her hind end (by bumping me) for scritches and then will sort of march in place with her hind legs and wag her hips from side to side. I think it might be sexually pleasurable. Think about it. When the male mounts the female this would be an area that would receive friction. Regardless, it makes her happy and makes me smile. :P

That would not explain why males enjoy the butt dance, though. :unsure

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Beth also does this -- especially when she has a coat on. She does it when she's happy/excited -- I think it's a slightly rude dog play-eliciting gesture (I've seen her side-bump her dog buddies at the park as well).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest TBSFlame

riley has started something new and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. whenever we go outside she will walk up to me and throw her right hip into my leg. i will scratch her back and if i stop she will bump me again.and it's not a light bump either. what's up with this?

Memmie does this and does it to her housemates also. She will just about knock you off your feet. I have to warn visitors to be careful.

Guest Bang_o_rama

Molly does this when she is super happy/affectionate. We scratch her butt and she throws her hip to one side and walks sideways. :lol

HA! That is Bang's "Happy Butt Dance" to a T! She will often add to the lack of actual forward walking progress by rubbing her flank along the nearest wall.

~D~

Guest Jubilee251

I think it might be sexually pleasurable. Think about it. When the male mounts the female this would be an area that would receive friction.

NO! MY PUPPIES ARE INNOCENT LALALALALA

Bu does this, mainly when he's wearing clothes. He LOVES when I pet his butt (lower back). I'm positive it's because of how the fabric rubs against him when pet a certain way.

Funny..I was getting ready to respond to this thread and saw that you had already responded about Bu with exactly what I was going to say about JJ. This is my first winter with him and the second I put the coat on him, he started swinging his butt - but in a very happy way!!! So maybe the half-brothers do have some similarities!!! :)

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest DashDad

Dash will do this when the weather is cold and he's wearing his tummy warmer or winter coat - usually after we've been walking for a while. The clothing generates a static charge (creates a crackling sound when we take it off), and I suspect this makes for an itchy or prickly feeling on his back. He'll also scrape up against bushes for a do-it-yourself back scratch.

Most times, this isn't a problem, but he's almost taken me down a couple of times when we were walking on an icy sidewalk. In his clothing, the fabric that's next to his body is part polyester, and I'm thinking that maybe something that's cotton or cotton-lined would not create the static charge. Does anybody have recommendations for cotton coats?

Guest lasharp1209

Ah, Blade LOVES to have his butt scratched, right at the base of his tail... at first I assumed they all did, but in petting other greys at M&G's, have yet to find another one that responds that way. It reminds me of cats, when you pet close to the base of their tail, they always raise their butt up :rolleyes:

Guest Hoolyghans

We call that move "butt whomping"

Usually it's queen B Abba doing it to keep other dog from getting attention. Sometimes she misses and the human gets whomped.

i really look forward to it because i take it as a sign of affection. probably wrong though.....

When Maggie does this, I definitely take it as a sign of affection. And I love it!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest Houndstown

I've noticed it a lot when greys have "clothes" on as well. I've always assumed it was kind of static electricity. I can always tell when Pre has had his sweater/house coat/etc on for too long without taking it off because he starts to throw his body against the back of the couch or down the hallway! He really rams them, and I've always been thankful he doesn't do it to me. He could knock me or Stacey down if we weren't paying attention and ready for it. It's like a butt missile!! :lol

Guest greybookends

AH, the Ginny hip check! Ginny does this so much with or without clothes. Combine this with the action much like a cat winding itself around your legs and it can get almost dangerous. When she becomes to forceful with this action and won't stop, she also barks loudly while doing this, I tell her to stop and if she doesn't I just return the hip check, at which point she gets the message and backs off a bit.