Comet Needs Your Good Thoughts

Guest Swifthounds

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lousy way to spend a birthday weekend, even if he did enjoy the attention.

:goodluck re the bloodwork and surgery.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Swifthounds

The Doc called with bloodwork results. Two of his values were high, the AST (liver value) and his BUN was elevated (but creatinine was WNL), so it could be a sign of some liver/kidney issue or merely dehydration since his other values are all WNL and the vet who read the ultrasound said his abdomen was impeccable for a 13 year old. Comet is officially cleared for surgery.

He has been a bit different since his vet visit, and so has Trojan. Trojan normally loves to flop right in the middle of the beds, jockey for the best spot, and grumble at his brother (and Comet returns the favor). Comet let out one grumble yesterday and since then Trojan has been laying quietly beside him, and they've even swapped spots a few times without a peep.

The oncologist looked at a few more slides and thinks it's a soft tissue carcinoma. The bad news is, it's almost certainly cancer, the better news is that although they're locally aggressive they are less likely to metastasize to other areas of the body.

The anesthesia risks concern me, but not doing the surgery doesn't have a good outcome, especially given how shaky he is in the hind end. Comet has lost a bit of weight recently, so he's getting some extra goodies to keep his appetite and weight up. My goal is just to get him through surgery and into recovery. He's scheduled to go in for surgery Wednesday and will stay overnight.

Please keep the good vibes coming.

Guest Swifthounds

Because we wanted time between the Sunday at the hospital and his surgery today to be as restful as possible and uneventful, of course yesterday evening we noticed he had cut his ear on something. :blink: Everyone is muzzled and were kept separate from him. Little blood on his face, two drops on the floor, nothing anywhere else. No sharp edges anywhere. To not stress him too much I just cleaned it and stopped the bleeding and gave the surgeon the heads up when I talked to him as they were getting set to prep Comet for surgery.

Guest Swifthounds

Just got off the phone with the surgeon. I'm usually a cool customer, but my stomach was in my throat when my cell rang.

Comet is out of surgery and recovering! Surgery went well. They cleaned and surtured the ear (it won't be cosmetically pretty, but I don't care - I didn't want him under any longer than need be). He did well with the anesthesia and is recovering. He'll come home tomorrow.

For as old as he is, as frail as he looks, and as wobbly as he is, my boy is one tough cookie!

Oh, thank goD! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Wonderful news...hope he recovers quickly and back to his old self. :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross