Comet Needs Your Good Thoughts

Guest Swifthounds

Guest Swifthounds

My sweet old man has a growth on the inside toe of his right rear leg. He's so long they had to use multiple panels for the chest x rays but heart and lungs look good. Fine needle aspirate showed an abnormal cell and a few necrotic cells when the oncologist looked at the slide. He's having an abdominal ultrasound now and we should have the results this afternoon. Bloodwork will be back tomorrow.

Not the way we intended to celebrate his 13th birthday weekend.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Comet, sending lots of good thoughts out to you, and hoping you get good news for your 13th birthday.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Prayers for your sweet boy. :hope:kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh Jen, I'm so very sorry. You're right, not the way to spend a birthday. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for Comet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Swifthounds

Picked up Mr. Social (he loves the vet) and headed home to await the bloodwork results. Ultrasound showed nothing remarkable but an atrophied prostate, so no evidence of any other masses.

Now we just wait for bloodwork. Keeping fingers crossed that has good news.

If blood values are normal, the two further options are either biopsy followed by possible amputation of the inside toe along with the growth (for good margins) or skip the biopsy and just do the amputation to avoid anesthesia twice. The surgery doesn't worry me as much as the anesthesia.

Guest greyt2love

Prayers and good thoughts coming for your Comet. Hope the bloodwork comes back normal and your sweet man gets to celebrate turing 13 in style!!! He won't care if it's a little late!!!

More good thoughts for Comet. I hope the bloodwork shows nothing abnormal.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Picked up Mr. Social (he loves the vet) and headed home to await the bloodwork results. Ultrasound showed nothing remarkable but an atrophied prostate, so no evidence of any other masses.

Now we just wait for bloodwork. Keeping fingers crossed that has good news.

If blood values are normal, the two further options are either biopsy followed by possible amputation of the inside toe along with the growth (for good margins) or skip the biopsy and just do the amputation to avoid anesthesia twice. The surgery doesn't worry me as much as the anesthesia.

We just went through this same scenario (see thread here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/263598-13-yo-going-in-for-surgery/).

We opted to just go for the amputation. Our vet said that the recovery time for the growth removal was about the same as the toe removal, so I really didn't want her to go through it twice so we took the aggressive approach.

The first night was bad as she was clearly in pain, even with the meds, but since then she's been fine. Stitches come out in a week and I am glad we did it this way.

We skipped the biopsy. For us, it wasn't as if we were going to treat her at 13 if it was something nasty - so we're just going to continue on keeping her happy. :)

Good luck :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Swifthounds

Thank you everyone for all the kind thoughts and well wishes. We're still waiting for the bloodwork results.

Comet really enjoyed his visit to the hospital (as soon as he saw the car being positioned to be loaded up, he started licking his lips and smacking his jaw in anticipation). He was exhausted at the end of the day and promptly took up residence in his favorite spot and sacked out, offering a small growl to anyone who got too close to his slumber.

Trojan seemed really happy Comet was back (he had to fuss over spots, jockey for the best bed, and basically grumble only at himself while Comet was gone :P ). Trojan took the hint and laid down next to Comet without the usual fussing.

I'm worried about the anesthesia, even though I've already gone over the protocols and our different options for tweaking them should there be any abnormalities in the bloodwork (to know me at all is to know that, as a vet, you need to really know your stuff, be open to my thoughts,and not be intimidated or insulted when asked many detailed questions :lol ). Hence, why I love this practice and would rather pay an extra emergency fee than start out with a trip to the regular vet first.

I know I wouldn't do the biopsy. I would just do the surgery to remove the growth and the toe. I am incredibly grateful that there are no lung mets (and the chest x rays look much better than I expected in a hound his age) and nothing worrisome in the abdomen. The toe is the inside toe, and therefore not weight bearing, but Comet is already a bit wobbly. He has lost a few pounds on the last month or so because they put in a practice shooting range in a recreation area near the house (he's wind-phobic and gunshots upset him). He has always been frail, but is looking particularly so now.

He also hasn't been under general anesthesia since his neuter nine years ago. He has had a few dentals over the years and a corneal ablation for an unhealing ulcer as well as a drain placement and cleaning up for a small laceration that became an issue, but all those were under lighter sedation. He did race a good while at JCKC and Seminole. Served a stint as a blood donor (a part of the reason he doesn't find the busy vet hospital upsetting at all), has traveled all over, and gone through lots of pack changes. For a spook with anxiety and phobias and who so depended on his littermate brother, it's just a miracle he's still here and as healthy as he is.

Please :hope and :goodluck his bloodwork comes back WLN.

Many prayers for Comet from our household.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.