Bedtime Snack?

tra708

Roscoe and Sage eat dinner sometime between 6-7pm. At 9 or 10 they get their evening snack. I have several different treats, and I give them something different every night to mix things up. They get either a large Mother Hubbard cookie, a couple small cookies, a Greenie, chicken jerky, some peanut butter off a spoon... and tonight they had a turkey neck. :)

Roscoe would die if he didn't get his cookie, and Sage needs it or she gets bad empty gurgle belly in the morning.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Kare Bear and Tessie get a 50/50 blend of Eagle Pack Holistic and TOTW Pacific Stream for breakfast and dinner. Night time snack is a handful of Core Wellness which they see as their treats.

Night time snacks began here when our Bridge girlie LuLu started to have seizures out of the blue. They seemed to always happen in the morning, so in an attempt to keep her glucose levels a bit more even, she always got snacks before bed.

If snacks are ever forgotten...there is no peace at bed time!

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly can't have dog treats so he always gets a few pieces of cooked chicken before bed time. It's so cute - he gets all quivery and excited and his eyes bug out when I bring them to him! I don't think he'd whine or fuss if I forgot, but he'd look soooooooooo sad I'd feel guilty about it forever! lol.gif

Guest shanesmom

Reading about the peanut butter sandwich snack reminds me of when we had a freak accident here with a peanut butter sandwich. My mistake. I gave him the slice of bread with peanut butter on it without folding it and the entire peice got stuck on the roof of his mouth. He went crazy clawing at his own face trying to dislodge it. I think he was having a hard time breathing with the bread stuck to the roof of his mouth. Scared me so bad. I had to get my hand in his mouth to help him while he was in a panic. I felt so bad. Just thought I would mention it. Not sure if it could ever happen like that again but I know I will always make sure to fold it in the future and give him little pieces.

Reading about the peanut butter sandwich snack reminds me of when we had a freak accident here with a peanut butter sandwich. My mistake. I gave him the slice of bread with peanut butter on it without folding it and the entire peice got stuck on the roof of his mouth. He went crazy clawing at his own face trying to dislodge it. I think he was having a hard time breathing with the bread stuck to the roof of his mouth. Scared me so bad. I had to get my hand in his mouth to help him while he was in a panic. I felt so bad. Just thought I would mention it. Not sure if it could ever happen like that again but I know I will always make sure to fold it in the future and give him little pieces.

No more peanut butter here. Stormy was begging for my Ritz Round cracker with PB. He tried to swallow it whole and it became a "plug" in his throat.Scared us real bad. I had to dig it out all the time he was in a panic and trying to bite my fingers at the same time.

My Riley prefers the late seating for his meals, but when our friends come to visit (which they do a lot, since we have a fenced in yard), all kibble has to come up (her dogs will eat themselves til they explode).

So, rather than a treat, I give him canned food (to ensure he doesn't dawdle in eating it). He gets 1/2 can, and all other dogs in the house (anywhere from 1 to 4) get a small amount as a snack. Without this, Riley cannot settle in at night, so its worth the effort. NOTE: this is factored into his daily food plan so that he doesn't overeat (I let the hounds self-regulate on kibble, but not on their portions of raw or canned food).

good luck!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Ours get snacks before bed; a small piece of bread, a dog biscuit, or whatever's in the treat jar! Frank takes his pill in a little bread ball and he does not get much else because he's supposed to take his thyroid pill on an empty stomach but the girls need a little bite to avoid upset tummies in the morning.

Guest greybookends

I feed once a day at 4pm. After the last turn out for the evening they each get one small biscuit. If someone is having something done at the vet that requires fasting no one gets a cookie. They prefer the cookie but they sleep just fine without it.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this was an old thread!

Mine get a "cookie" of some sort after last turnout - usually around 10-11pm. Usually it's dehydrated chicken or lamb lung. Occasionally they get something like peanut butter or string cheese.

Gabe used to run in when I cleaned the kitchen to see whether he could bum any extra treats. Of course, he always could. I SO miss my boy. :(

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• 2 weeks later...

Sammi gets a bedtime snack. It could be anything, really. A biscuit, a peanutbutter heel, a raw baby carrot. Something to eat on her dogbed in the bedroom. Otherwise she will pace and whine and be a general butthead until she gets her bedtime snack. :lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UtahCoyote

I feed Annie her "chicken dog snack" every night before bed. It's about 7-8 small pieces of Costco rotisserie chicken that I cut up for her. She could probably live without it, but it's a habit and a special treat for her, and she loves it. So why not?!

Leah