My Danny Has Osteo

Guest greytfulhounds

Guest greytfulhounds

I see you're from NJ too.

I can't help you with your specific request. I wanted to let you know that I took the trip out to OSU from NJ and based on Dr. Couto's advice, I went the amp route with Dima a year ago. She turned 12 two weeks after surgery and she had a very good 6 months.

Hugs to you. This is such a horrid disease.

Yes, I am in Bellmawr (southern NJ), where are you. I am so very sorry that you lost your girl. :grouphug

Guest greytfulhounds

I am so very sorry to hear your news. We have been through this twice this year unfortunately :( . We did choose palliative care with Peanut once we finally got a firm diagnosis and when all was said and done, we got 2 1/2 pretty good months with her following the start of her limp. We had her on Deramaxx (I think this was not very helpful, but the vet prescribed it initially), tramadol and then gababpentin her last two days while we said our goodbyes. One thing we did do that I'm very happy we did in retrospect was to keep her on leash most of that time. We had thought she had a soft tissue injury (the x-rays were clean so that was the initial diagnosis) and were keeping her quiet and rested. I think had we let her run, she may have incurred a fracture at some point early on (she did eventually incur a small fracture and that was when we said goodbye).

It's such a tough time and please know that we are all here for you!

Thank you, Beth. I am so very sorry about your kids. :grouphug My vet has Danny on Rimadyl (which I believe is an NSAID like Deramaxx) & Tramadol. Did you just do the pain management? I have looked at some other things like artemisinin & my vet, who also practices holistic medicine, is going to get back to me tomorrow to see if there is anything else we can give that might help to slow things down or fight it a little. So much information out there & I am so confused. Did you change Peanut's diet or did you leave it the same? I have read mixed about both.

Thank you again!

Sherry & Danny

I can't help you with your specific request. I wanted to let you know that I took the trip out to OSU from NJ and based on Dr. Couto's advice, I went the amp route with Dima a year ago. She turned 12 two weeks after surgery and she had a very good 6 months.

Yes, I am in Bellmawr (southern NJ), where are you. I am so very sorry that you lost your girl. :grouphug

I see signs for Bellmawr whenever I'm on 95/295. You're pretty far south.

I'm right in the middle length-wise but next to the PA border (near New Hope, PA)

I'm sorry you're going thru this.

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest greytfulhounds

Thinking about you two. I hope you both had a good day today and many many more to come. :kiss2:grouphug

Did Danny get his burger, fries AND strawberry ice cream?:blush

Not yet, Aunt Hope, but I will get on this.......promise! :blush

I see signs for Bellmawr whenever I'm on 95/295. You're pretty far south.

I'm right in the middle length-wise but next to the PA border (near New Hope, PA)

I'm sorry you're going thru this.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I am so sorry that you and your boy have to go through this. Take pictures, make memories and let every day be special.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

First, I'm sorry to hear your news about Danny - it's a crummy club to join; however, sadly you're in good company.

Sutra is 12 years old (will be 13 in December) and was diagnosed 5 1/2 months ago with a tumor in his right shoulder. Because of his age and other health factors, I decided not to amputate. He takes Deramaxx (personally I feel it's more effective than Rimadyl) and he will take tramadol if needed (thus far he rarely needs it).

He has a Pamidronate infusion every 28 days. It's GREAT! While it is not PROVEN to work (basically a 50/50 chance), I believe that it at least makes him feel good, which is well worth the money for me. He has not had a new xray since starting the infusions. He's had 3 infusions thus far. Before he has them they do bloodwork to check kidney function, because the pamidronate can affect the kidneys. He had a UTI the last time I took him in, so they didn't want to do his infusion but he was able to have it a few weeks later after the UTI was gone.

Dr. Couto said that the Pamidronate is believed to be more effective than Fosamax because it is given intravenously as opposed to orally (I also hear that Fosamax tends to cause an upset stomach).

He also takes Artemisinin, 200 mg in the morning. It's to be given on an empty stomach, so I give it to him right when we get up in the morning with some whipped cream and an Omega 3 caplet. It shouldn't be given with anything meaty as iron can affect how well it works. We buy ours from Holley Pharmaceuticals.

He also takes the Joint Health Tabs from Springtime, Inc. as well as their Longevity supplement (mixed in with some canned food). The Longevity supplement is great, I really noticed a difference when I started using it. It has a lot of antioxidants (good cancer fighters!).

I don't allow him to jump down from the bed or out of the car, so he is lifted out of the car and he has stairs in my bedroom to get down off of the bed (or I just lift him down myself).

Any questions, feel free to PM me. Sorry you had to join the club :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest monaghan21

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup's diagnosis. We lost two dogs to osteosarcoma this year. Our greyhound Jack was diagnosed last year in July at OSU. Although Dr. Couto recommends amputations in most cases, Jack wasn't a good candidate. We chose to have him treated at OSU (although we live in Virginia) because of their expertise and inexpensive cost. (It was cheaper to drive there, stay in a hotel and have his treatment there versus the cost of even one visit here!) He had radiation and chemotherapy, which got rid of his limp until about mid-October. He was a trooper and fought hard. We also used pamidronate several times. He did not tolerate the pain patch or the tramadol very well. We used Rimadyl and Gabapentin with Pepcid and then morphine at the very end. By January he was very sick and passed away. With our other boy Dave he suddenly stopped being able to walk, although he was limping previously (but earlier xrays showed nothing). We found out on a Tuesday night he had a large tumor and he was gone by Friday. No treatment other than pain meds for him because it was too advanced.

I've heard great things about amputation and terrible things too! I think it matters where it is done and the dog's health/personality; I wouldn't trust anyone but Dr. Couto at OSU, especially after having Jack treated locally by our vet oncologist. With Jack, once the primary tumor was halted, the cancer spread to his lungs, which is pretty much textbook w/osteo. I've heard mixed results with K-9 Immunity and Transfor Factor (http://www.alohamedicinals.com/pet.htm).

Cherish every moment! We were blessed to be at home with our dogs to say goodbye with them in our arms. Greyhounds love their homes and their human companions.

Edited by monaghan21

Guest greytfulhounds

First, I'm sorry to hear your news about Danny - it's a crummy club to join; however, sadly you're in good company.

Sutra is 12 years old (will be 13 in December) and was diagnosed 5 1/2 months ago with a tumor in his right shoulder. Because of his age and other health factors, I decided not to amputate. He takes Deramaxx (personally I feel it's more effective than Rimadyl) and he will take tramadol if needed (thus far he rarely needs it).

He has a Pamidronate infusion every 28 days. It's GREAT! While it is not PROVEN to work (basically a 50/50 chance), I believe that it at least makes him feel good, which is well worth the money for me. He has not had a new xray since starting the infusions. He's had 3 infusions thus far. Before he has them they do bloodwork to check kidney function, because the pamidronate can affect the kidneys. He had a UTI the last time I took him in, so they didn't want to do his infusion but he was able to have it a few weeks later after the UTI was gone.

Dr. Couto said that the Pamidronate is believed to be more effective than Fosamax because it is given intravenously as opposed to orally (I also hear that Fosamax tends to cause an upset stomach).

He also takes Artemisinin, 200 mg in the morning. It's to be given on an empty stomach, so I give it to him right when we get up in the morning with some whipped cream and an Omega 3 caplet. It shouldn't be given with anything meaty as iron can affect how well it works. We buy ours from Holley Pharmaceuticals.

He also takes the Joint Health Tabs from Springtime, Inc. as well as their Longevity supplement (mixed in with some canned food). The Longevity supplement is great, I really noticed a difference when I started using it. It has a lot of antioxidants (good cancer fighters!).

I don't allow him to jump down from the bed or out of the car, so he is lifted out of the car and he has stairs in my bedroom to get down off of the bed (or I just lift him down myself).

Thank you so much for this information & feedback! My vet & I talked twice today & she was looking into several options & going to call me tomorrow. I am going to share your post with her.

I am very sorry your boy is struggling with this awful disease too. You both give me some hope that Danny & I might have a little more quality time together. I will keep you both in my prayers. :grouphug

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup's diagnosis. We lost two dogs to osteosarcoma this year. Our greyhound Jack was diagnosed last year in July at OSU. Although Dr. Couto recommends amputations in most cases, Jack wasn't a good candidate. We chose to have him treated at OSU (although we live in Virginia) because of their expertise and inexpensive cost. (It was cheaper to drive there, stay in a hotel and have his treatment that even one visit here!) He had radiation and chemotherapy, which got rid of his limp until about mid-October. He was a trooper and fought hard. We also used pamidronate several times. He did not tolerate the pain patch or the tramadol very well. We used Rimadyl and then morphine at the very end. By January he was very sick and passed away. With our other boy Dave he suddenly stopped being able to walk, although he was limping previously (but earlier xrays showed nothing). We found out on a Tuesday night he had a large tumor and he was gone by Friday. No treatment other than pain meds for him because it was too advanced.

I've heard great things about amputation and terrible things too! I think it matters where it is done and the dog's health/personality; I wouldn't trust anyone but Dr. Couto at OSU, especially after having Jack treated locally by our vet oncologist. With Jack, once the primary tumor was halted, the cancer spread to his lungs, which is pretty much textbook w/osteo. Cherish every moment! We were blessed to be at home with our dogs to say goodbye with them in our arms. Greyhounds seem to love their homes and their human companions.

I am so very, very sorry for your losses. Thank you for sharing your story & for your kind words. It is hard enough coming to terms with the diagnosis but trying to figure out the right course of treatment at the same time is mind numbing.

I am so sorry that you and your boy have to go through this. Take pictures, make memories and let every day be special.

Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

Guest greytfulhounds

Do you have Sutra on a special diet too?

I am sorry I haven't been able to reply to your PM yet, and may not have time soon so I wanted to throw out a few things somewhat briefly. First, there is some GOOD research supportin thet use of IV pamidronate (I can send links later). The one concern, as Kristin mentioned is the risk fo kidney issues, which includdes a (small) risk of acute kidney faliure. You have to consider what you're comfortable with regarding risk vs. reward here, but I think ti's a promising treatment and Sutra's success only validates that.

Radiation is also a good palliative option (both radiation and IV pamidronate extend quality of life by managing pain about 2 months on average (each) according to my oncologist). In the past, radiation was given 1x/week for 4 weeks straight, but my radiation oncologist said tehy are seeing the same benefit doing radiation 2 times, 2 days in a row. To me, this is a much better option since radiation requires anesthesia.

So far, we have not opted for either of these options (no need so far b/c Neyla is not in pain). We are doing multiple holistic supplements, which I can email you about in more detail later, but the main thing is the artemisinin cycling regimen. Until I can send you details, I strongly recommend you join teh artemisinin_and_cancer yahoo group and read up on teh amended regimen II if you are considering using it.

I hope this helps for now. I'm sorry for your dx. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sutra eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream kibble and Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato canned food (I mix his Longevity supplement in this).

On occasion he will not feel so hot and will not want kibble, so I will cook chicken for him, or steak. Usually I can get him to eat something if he thinks it's my dinner :lol

He was a little slower than normal over the hot summer months but he has REALLY perked up with the cool fall weather we're having B)

He's my buddy man and I'll do what I can to keep him happy until he's done having fun. He does have a slight limp, but he does really well with it and has figured out how to "gallop" without putting any pressure on the bad leg, so he can move quickly :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest greytfulhounds

I am sorry I haven't been able to reply to your PM yet, and may not have time soon so I wanted to throw out a few things somewhat briefly. First, there is some GOOD research supportin thet use of IV pamidronate (I can send links later). The one concern, as Kristin mentioned is the risk fo kidney issues, which includdes a (small) risk of acute kidney faliure. You have to consider what you're comfortable with regarding risk vs. reward here, but I think ti's a promising treatment and Sutra's success only validates that.

Radiation is also a good palliative option (both radiation and IV pamidronate extend quality of life by managing pain about 2 months on average (each) according to my oncologist). In the past, radiation was given 1x/week for 4 weeks straight, but my radiation oncologist said tehy are seeing the same benefit doing radiation 2 times, 2 days in a row. To me, this is a much better option since radiation requires anesthesia.

So far, we have not opted for either of these options (no need so far b/c Neyla is not in pain). We are doing multiple holistic supplements, which I can email you about in more detail later, but the main thing is the artemisinin cycling regimen. Until I can send you details, I strongly recommend you join teh artemisinin_and_cancer yahoo group and read up on teh amended regimen II if you are considering using it.

I hope this helps for now. I'm sorry for your dx. :(

Thank you, very much, for the information! I did join the artmisinin group.....all of the options there are very confusing but my vet is familiar with artemisinin & is one of the things she is checking for me. Hugs & prayers to you & Neyla. :grouphug:hope

Guest greytfulhounds

Sutra eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream kibble and Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato canned food (I mix his Longevity supplement in this).

On occasion he will not feel so hot and will not want kibble, so I will cook chicken for him, or steak. Usually I can get him to eat something if he thinks it's my dinner :lol

He was a little slower than normal over the hot summer months but he has REALLY perked up with the cool fall weather we're having B)

He's my buddy man and I'll do what I can to keep him happy until he's done having fun. He does have a slight limp, but he does really well with it and has figured out how to "gallop" without putting any pressure on the bad leg, so he can move quickly :nod

Thanks, once again! The food part was also confusing as to whether I should change him to a grain free.....from what I have read some say low carbs, some say carbs really don't play a role. My vet & I are discussing what to do with that today too. I already give all of my hounds Springtime Supplements Joint Health Formula & Fresh Factors.....it is my understanding that the 2 combined are what Longevity is made up of but I will check to be sure we are not missing an ingredient or two.

((((HUGS)))) to Mr. Sutra this morning! :)

Thank you, very much, for the information! I did join the artmisinin group.....all of the options there are very confusing but my vet is familiar with artemisinin & is one of the things she is checking for me. Hugs & prayers to you & Neyla. :grouphug:hope

Yes, the options are definitely overwhelming. I will say that I don't think you'll find anyone who has done more cumulative research on artemisinin and it's cumulative effect with curcumin than the vet on that board, Dr. Monroe who created the amended regimen. I did a lot of research on my own at first, but eventually just decided that he had already done it all and what I did read supported his methods so I just went with it. I just posted in response to someone's questions my exact regimen with dosages, which would work for Danny as well (Neyla is probably lighter by 10-20 lbs but what we're doing would be a good starting point).

If you decide to just start off with something simple like daily artemisinin, a few key points:

-it should be given at bedtime, at least 3-4 hours away from food containing iron (mainly meat, but there are other foods that contain iron)

-mixed feelings on this, but generally people believe you should give it away from anti-oxidant/vitamin supplements - to some this means giving those at another time of day, to others it means only giving on days you don't give arte

-research indicates that the bioavailability of artemisinin to the body (ie. how much the dog will absorb from the supplement) decreases very quickly over time so you need to take breaks - this can be anything from 5 days on/5 days off to 21 days on/21 days off. You take advantage of the off days by giving anti-oxidants or another cancer fighting supplement that cannot be given concurrently with artemisinin.

By the way, I think it's fantastic that your vet is looking into all of this for you. Kudos to her.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, what is the merit of giving the artemisinin at bedtime as opposed to first thing in the morning and then waiting to feed?

Jen, what is the merit of giving the artemisinin at bedtime as opposed to first thing in the morning and then waiting to feed?

It's generally thought to be more effective if given before bed so it can work overnight while the dog is sleeping. I don't remember the specifics of why this is thought ot be the case. One reason could be the total absence of dietary iron the entire time the artemisinin is working, but I really don't know. You could post that question in the artemisnin and cancer yahoo group, I suspect Dr. Monroe would have an idea.

Guest greytfulhounds

Yes, the options are definitely overwhelming. I will say that I don't think you'll find anyone who has done more cumulative research on artemisinin and it's cumulative effect with curcumin than the vet on that board, Dr. Monroe who created the amended regimen. I did a lot of research on my own at first, but eventually just decided that he had already done it all and what I did read supported his methods so I just went with it. I just posted in response to someone's questions my exact regimen with dosages, which would work for Danny as well (Neyla is probably lighter by 10-20 lbs but what we're doing would be a good starting point).

If you decide to just start off with something simple like daily artemisinin, a few key points:

-it should be given at bedtime, at least 3-4 hours away from food containing iron (mainly meat, but there are other foods that contain iron)

-mixed feelings on this, but generally people believe you should give it away from anti-oxidant/vitamin supplements - to some this means giving those at another time of day, to others it means only giving on days you don't give arte

-research indicates that the bioavailability of artemisinin to the body (ie. how much the dog will absorb from the supplement) decreases very quickly over time so you need to take breaks - this can be anything from 5 days on/5 days off to 21 days on/21 days off. You take advantage of the off days by giving anti-oxidants or another cancer fighting supplement that cannot be given concurrently with artemisinin.

By the way, I think it's fantastic that your vet is looking into all of this for you. Kudos to her.

Jen, thank you so much for the information & input! I am going to go look for your post now. I just got off the phone with my vet & told her about your post & that I would print out the information to fax to her tomorrow. At this point, we both have decided that I am going to continue the pain medication, add the artemisinin & my vet is looking into an anti-oxidant for the days we would cycle off. I currently give all of my hounds Springtime Supplements Joint Health Formula & Fresh Factors and my vet feels I should still continue to give those but to give the Fresh Factors in the morning away from the artemisinin. So much to consider!

I really appreciate the support everyone has given us.......I don't know how to thank you all enough!

Guest greytfulhounds

Jen, do you give the curcumin & artemisinin an hour apart or together?

Any questions, feel free to PM me. Sorry you had to join the club :(+

Kristin, do you give the artemisinin every day or do you cycle off some days? Do you use curcumin with it or just the artemisinin. How much does your boy weigh? Thanks!

Just sending a note of support. It sounds like you and your vet will make a greyt team for whatever is best for Danny.

The only thing I can add is a reminder that pain medications seem to be highly individualistic, and what works for one dog (or person) won't for another. Don't be afraid to try different pain meds (or combinations) if just upping the dose of one doesn't help.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sutra weighs about 64 lbs. We had been doing the artemisinin every day but after hearing of the cycling thing, we are going to try a week on/week off rotation.

I'm not familiar with curcumin...going to look that up now...

Jen, do you give the curcumin & artemisinin an hour apart or together?

I follow the amended regimen, so an hour apart.

Sutra weighs about 64 lbs. We had been doing the artemisinin every day but after hearing of the cycling thing, we are going to try a week on/week off rotation.

I'm not familiar with curcumin...going to look that up now...

Join the artemisinin_and_cancer yahoo group woman! Links to the research about curcumin and artemisinin being synergistic right in the files section. ;) Also info about bioavailability and cycling and lots of other good stuff. It can be overwhelming to get through at first, but you could also read through the last few pages of posts and get most of the info as there is someone new joining regularly and asking for clarification.

If either of you decide to start using curcumin, PM me - there are issues with absorption of the supplements. I'm on my second one and am happier with it, but after I bought this one, someone posted about one specifically made to be more bioavailable, which I will switch to once these are gone. I can dig up the name of it for you. It's also supposed to be a bit easier on the stomach for some reason and curcumin is known to cause loose stool in some dogs (does for Neyla but not to the point that it's a problem).

Guest greytfulhounds

Just sending a note of support. It sounds like you and your vet will make a greyt team for whatever is best for Danny.

The only thing I can add is a reminder that pain medications seem to be highly individualistic, and what works for one dog (or person) won't for another. Don't be afraid to try different pain meds (or combinations) if just upping the dose of one doesn't help.

Thank you.......Danny & I really appreciate the support! :)

I ordered the Artemisinin today. I am going to start out with just the Artemisinin & increase the fish oil Danny is already taking. I am going to continue to give him his Fresh Factors in the morning & his Joint Health his dinner. And, of course, the pain meds.

Thanks again for everything! Will keep you updated! ((((HUGS)))) to Neyla & Sutra! :)

Edited by greytfulhounds