Xilo Says "i Want That!"

Guest jenznaz

Guest jenznaz

Maybe this is common behavior, but I've never seen it before - this morning my son was eating breakfast at the table, and Xilo comes over to him and starts sniffing his boiled egg. My son then pushes his plate over to the other side of the table where Xilo can't reach it, and Xilo gives this big throaty growl!!

I was shocked!! It was the pushiest behavior I've ever seen from him! I voiced a big "hey!" and he skulked away over to his bed and gave me big doe eyes.

I guess my question is, should I be more concerned that he is trying to "dominate" my son, and enact more NILIF techniques? Or chalk this up to Xilo's increasing comfort level with us?

I will add that he is becoming much more "vocal" in other areas as well - sighs, barks and non-agressive growls are becoming more apparent as time goes on (we've only had him since last March).

:lol Yup time for a come to Jesus moment. Since you've had him since March I would just brush up on the NILF stuff and maybe have your son start feeding the dogs their meals? So he becomes the provider of food. Otherwise I would chalk it up to him feeling his oats with the cooler weather. Once I yell I usually body block or point to tell the dog to vacate the area and they are not allowed back until *I* say so. I have to body block Sunshine but can point Rainy to the other room.

Sunshine started guarding bones again a few days ago. That only lasted a day or so with 3 bellowing pissed off Momma corrections and instant banishment when she growled/lunged for the cat, who in all reality, had zero interest in that bone. :rolleyes: I think she's just feeling frisky and naughty!

ETA I would not say this is common behavior either...

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Yeah....he's testing his limits now that he's getting comfortable. Just because he's getting comfortable do not let YOUR guard down. Correct him and remind him that NLIF. We had to step it up on NLIF when Rocket started getting pushy and growly. It didn't take long for him to get the message.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Well gosh mom, he can't push you around so lets try for the son. Yep, he's getting a little more comfortable and is testing his limits.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I wouldn't read too much into it re dominance etc. He wanted the egg and acted like a butt when he couldn't have it. Here the rule is, no part of any dog's nose shall pass the edge of the table. "AAAH!" if the nose approaches, smack flat of hand on table if "AAAH!" doesn't have adequate effect .....

Anyone who might be too pushy or given to hovering would be banished from the room, but we haven't had that happen in several dogs. (Whippet wasn't pushy but was an amazing snatch-and-run artist so was banished at times.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You don't say how old your son is. If he's old enough to participate in the NILIF, I think you should have him do so occasionally. Also have him give the dog treats like someone else said. The only thing different I would have done in that situation is have the son tell the dog "no!" instead of you. It was great that you defended your son and the dog understands that but it didn't teach him that your son is above him in the pack order. Of course if your son is only two or younger, then what you did was exactly right.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Teaching "go lie down" is a great fix for dogs begging at the table.

George knows he can stare at me and drool all he wants--while he's laying on his bed--I do not let him stand right in front of my food (I eat in the living room, in my recliner--cause I can!!) while I'm eating.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You don't say how old your son is. If he's old enough to participate in the NILIF, I think you should have him do so occasionally. Also have him give the dog treats like someone else said. The only thing different I would have done in that situation is have the son tell the dog "no!" instead of you. It was great that you defended your son and the dog understands that but it didn't teach him that your son is above him in the pack order. Of course if your son is only two or younger, then what you did was exactly right.

I agree with having your son become involved, my 3 year old grandaughter is at our house quite often, she loves the boys and they love her. Since Henry can get a little pushy at times, especially when my grandaughter plays with him I have taught her to use vocal and hand commands when he starts to get to cranked up. It is amazing to watch this little girl put her hand up and say "Henry No" and Henry actually listens to her. I think it is so important to teach children the training process, the dog respects the child and the child respects the dog.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Sheila: unfourtunately i live in a tiny apartment, so the table is pretty much in the living room. But i liked Batmom's suggestion of not allowing the nose past the edge of the table.

Jetcitywoman: my son is 12, and he is a very active participant in caring for Xi (feeds, helps walk, etc.)and projects a "leader" vibe, but I agree 100% that we're going to step up the NILF game.

His growls are more funny than threatening at this point, but we musn't become too lax.

Thanks again!!

Guest gecko_foot

:lol Yup time for a come to Jesus moment. Since you've had him since March I would just brush up on the NILF stuff and maybe have your son start feeding the dogs their meals? So he becomes the provider of food. Otherwise I would chalk it up to him feeling his oats with the cooler weather. Once I yell I usually body block or point to tell the dog to vacate the area and they are not allowed back until *I* say so. I have to body block Sunshine but can point Rainy to the other room.

Sunshine started guarding bones again a few days ago. That only lasted a day or so with 3 bellowing pissed off Momma corrections and instant banishment when she growled/lunged for the cat, who in all reality, had zero interest in that bone. :rolleyes: I think she's just feeling frisky and naughty!

ETA I would not say this is common behavior either...

:thumbs-up

One caution about the growling issue. He is trying to push the boundaries to see what he can get away with, as everybody agreed. So it's appropriate that you and your son reinforce those boundaries. However, be gentle about admonishing him when he growls. If you punish growling too severely, the dog may switch to simply biting without warning. Be gentle but firm and don't over correct it. If he gives a soft growl, then you just as quietly go "uh-uh" to correct it. Louder growls and growls accompanied with air-snapping require a louder correction. The punishment must always fit the crime, as they say.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

OH MY GOODNESS. How did I miss this?! I remember Xilo from when he was in the race kennel! I loved that dog! Ahhh I'm so excited!! Exclamation marks!!

I remember he had the BLACKEST face I've ever seen and a killer personality. Really sweet dog. I took the photos of him on Greyhound-Data back in March of '07.

I just rummaged through all my old pictures to find some I took of him. So glad to hear he's in a good home! I always wondered about him. :)

xilo04.jpg

xilo01.jpg

xilo02.jpg

xilo03.jpg

Xilo!!! :wub:

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

• 5 months later...
Guest jenznaz

OH MY GOODNESS. How did I miss this?! I remember Xilo from when he was in the race kennel! I loved that dog! Ahhh I'm so excited!! Exclamation marks!!

I remember he had the BLACKEST face I've ever seen and a killer personality. Really sweet dog. I took the photos of him on Greyhound-Data back in March of '07.

I just rummaged through all my old pictures to find some I took of him. So glad to hear he's in a good home! I always wondered about him. :)

OMG! I just came back to this thread and saw your post a million years later!! Thanks so much for the pics!!! We've had Xilo almost a year now and his little face is fading a little - At first we could barely see his eyes if it wasn't bright in our apartment!! Here's some recent ones:

upsidedown2.jpg

xiloeyes.jpg

Guest Oceannine

OMG! I just came back to this thread and saw your post a million years later!! Thanks so much for the pics!!! We've had Xilo almost a year now and his little face is fading a little - At first we could barely see his eyes if it wasn't bright in our apartment!! Here's some recent ones:

upsidedown2.jpg

xiloeyes.jpg

What a beautiful mask!

Guest Ashleigh

Beautiful boy!!!! How could anyone say no to a face like that?

Hank growled at me countless times his first year with me. We went through some good battles, but now he has and knows his limits...he still tries to steal my food, of course! They say it takes up to a year with a rescue, and I think it took Hank the entire 365 days to come around! Have fun!

What a beautiful boy! I love dogs with the dark/black masks. My first girlie got my attention because of her black mask and beautiful eyes.

What a lucky boy he is to have such a wonderful loving home!

june