Eric

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

We've finished the course of Clavamox but his nodes are still swollen. It looks like we'll be going in for an aspiration of the node. I'm calling tomorrow for an appointment. The good news is that the red rocket episodes have pretty much stopped. If he gets one, it goes away within minutes! WOO HOO!

Eric is also playing a bit more than he has been in the past few weeks. His run is looking more like a goof ball than ever but at least he is running :)

I'll keep you updated when we get the aspiration done and the result.

We're back. The lymph nodes are certainly swollen. It looks like we are dealing with two separate issues. Since the neck lymph nodes are so far away from the "red rocket" the likely hood of them reacting to that infection + antibiotics for over a week, is pretty slim. We are going to try a different antibiotic (Clavamox) to see if he has another infection somewhere that the ceph. isn't knocking out. If, within a week, the nodes do not go down, we are going to aspirate and send to pathology. We're also going to wait one week before doing a scope or ultra sound of his boy parts while I chronicle all red rocket episodes to see if they slow down or go away.

Upon examination, the vet could not feel his prostate at all. She said this is the first time she hasn't been able to at least feel one, so that is curious to her as well. Possibilities could be that his prostate shrunk so much that it is not reachable by external exam, it receded into his abdomen, or something else that I don't remember.

He has lost 1 pound in a week.

That is a whole lot of typing for not really saying anything for certain.

Eric is resting comfortably right now after sharing some ice cream with Adam and Cindy :)

We're heading back to the vet tomorrow. Yesterday, we noticed that Eric's lymph nodes in his neck were swollen. About the size of those big marbles. He's been on antibiotics for almost 2 weeks, so I don't know what is going on :unsure I doubt it is a tooth issue since he just had a dental in June and I looked around in there and didn't see anything unusual. It looks pretty good in there no build up, no broken teeth, gums look healthy.

He's been tolerating the flushing very well. Eating, peeing, and pooping normally. However, something just isn't right. I can't quite put my finger on it. His eyes are still a bit weepy. We've been flushing those too and using some ointment.

Has anyone else had such a strange array of symptoms? oh and he is still getting red rockets every so often, maybe once or twice a day... :eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back from the vet... Eric has a certain sheath infection. They did a sterile catch of urine, bodily functions look normal. They will culture the urine to make sure he has the right antibiotic. We are to flush 2x a day (not looking forward to that!). He also has some eye ointment for his eyes. I guess we'll take it from here and see where we are in a week.

There was a lot of pus in there, it was really gross and it made the whole exam room smell. I felt bad for poor Eric getting poked and prodded in every area but he was a major trooper!

His back end didn't seem to be sensitive and was correcting his footing on the basic tests fine, so I don't know what is up there. We'll keep an eye on that. The vet didn't notice any inflammation in his prostate, so that is good news.

For some reason, I don't think this is the end of this mystery but will keep you all updated. Off to go give Eric lots of hugs and some ice cream!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're taking Eric to the vet again today at 3pm. This is a brief outline of the recent happenings with my boy. He is 11.5.

July 17th - " Red Rocket" for several hours. Went back in after a little "help". He also fell down the stairs. He cut his leg but seemed otherwise fine.

July 25th - "Red Rocket" with yellowish/green, smelly pus, started 500mg Ceph 2x day

July 27th - one bright green poo, all other stools were normal

July 29th - peed in house 1 hour after previous turn out.

July 30th - jumped up with red rocket and pus, peed outside, fell over while pooping, got right back up. This time, I swabbed the pus and DH just ran it up to the vet so they could do what they need to do with it before we get there.

Generally, Eric seems off but eating and drinking normally, seems a little skinny, coat not shiny and soft as it is normally. Eyes are also a little more goopy than normal. Neither Cindy nor Adam have any issues.

Any good thoughts would be appreciated! I'm hoping this is some sort of infection and we need a stronger antibiotic. :dunno

Edited by greytbookert

Poor Eric! Can you get the vet to culture and find out what specific bacteria is building up and causing problems? (I'm having to to that on a tail injury.)

Good thoughts and prayers that you can soon get on top of Eric's problems.

Sending good thoughts for Eric and you. Hope it's nothing too serious!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytbookert

I've asked that a culture be done on the pus, after they look at it through the microscope. Hopefully, we will get some answers without having to do anything too invasive.

DH just said that today Eric looks the worst he's ever seen. I guess it isn't just me being a worry wart :(

Hope you get some answers as to what's going on with him soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:( Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hope you get some answers soon. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greyt2love

Good thoughts coming for Eric. Hope you soon get an answer to what is going on and can get working on fixing it for your boy!

I've been down the road a couple of times with sheath infections. I can still remember looking at my vet and saying, "you want me to do what?" eek.gif

It wasn't too bad really. smile.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytbookert

I've been down the road a couple of times with sheath infections. I can still remember looking at my vet and saying, "you want me to do what?" eek.gif

You've done it before? I have to do it 2x a day and I'm terrified! Want to come over and do it for me? :lol

You've done it before? I have to do it 2x a day and I'm terrified! Want to come over and do it for me? lol.gif

I had to do it 2x a day too and was a nervous wreck, but with Tanner, he made it so easy and just layed there.

I had to make sure none leaked out for a minute or two, that was fun.

Sure, I'll come and do it, have to get a GPS first lol.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Curfew gets a sheath infection every now and then. He just got over another one. We flush and use Animax ointment in that area. He doesn't really mind, but he keeps reinfecting himself. His was cultured, and it is E-coli.

He knows when I yell ... "Curfew, penis! ..." what it means. (*to stop licking)! God knows what anyone would think if we lived with close-by neighbors, with open windows! lol.gif

Good Luck with the infection. Both you and Eric will get used to treating it. wink.gif

Deb, I'm only just seeing this, I've hardly been on GT or Facebook today. Poor Eric! :( And poor you - I know how horrible it is to worry :(

You and Eric are in my thoughts. Please keep us posted! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh, poor Eric, that does sound a lot of gunk, and yes, he does sound rough, poor guy. I hope you get all this identified and sorted out.

You've done it before? I have to do it 2x a day and I'm terrified! Want to come over and do it for me? :lol

I've had to do it too, for my old Jim. He was a trooper and just followed me out to the garden with my box of antiseptic wash and squirty things and towels and just let me do it. What came out of his sheath was semi solid and actually moulded to the shape of his body the first few times I flushed. Big pieces of gunk, curved like limescale in a pipe, some of them an inch or so in length. Actually, I think he rather enjoyed it - it must have felt horribly gritty. :(

The annoying thing was that when I took him to the vet in the first place and said I thought he might have an infection in there because he was dripping pus, he looked at me as if I was an idiot and told me rather condescendingly that 'a little discharge was normal for male dogs' and that it all looked pretty clean from where he was standing. Then he took a proper look and saw the inflammation and gunk. THEN he gave him antibiotics and told me to flush. :rolleyes:

Good luck with Eric!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop