Roscoe Isnt Feeling Well

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All!

Fun night last night! We were up until about 4:30 AM until Roscoe emptied himself out and finally went to bed. Poor bug. He did drink a good bit of water before bed, gums still looked good and they were slippery, not tacky, so I wasn't worried about dehydration. I did some research since I was awake and found some other threads on a doggie stomach bug that seems to be going around. I'm guessing this is what the problem is. I was able to convince a friend to come stay at my place while I'm at work today, so that's a huge relief. No breakfast for him today.. I'll see how he's doing later to determine whether I want to try a bland dinner.. There was no urgency for Roscoe to go out when he woke up, and his poop was still liquid squirt, but my friend says he's only been out that once and is otherwise laying down.

PrairieProf, yes, he started thyro-tabs last Thursday. I also bought a new bag of kibble (same brand/formula) which they started Friday eve. I thought about the possibilities of a bad batch of kibble, but Sage would be affected also. And she's just peachy!

Now I'm a bit concerned that if it is a bug, preventing Sage from getting it as well. I have some Doxy, should I start her on some? Would that help?

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

It's 4:30 and I'm about to head home. My friend updated me, said Roscoe has been sleeping all day, and only pooped twice, though it's still all 'water'. Should I feed him anything tonight, or fast him some more?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

Do not put her on the Doxy. If it's a bug, it is most probably viral, not bacterial. So Doxy won't work..

Also Doxy is a strong antibiotic, if you do need antibiotics, because it's a bacterial infections, there are much better broad spectrum meds that are not as strong that work better.

Think of it as .... why use a 20 ton dumptruck when you just need a 1/2 ton pickup.

If the bug's going to go around, it's probably too late and Sage has already been exposed. But if she show's any signs of being sick, withhold her food until she's better. Better to have an empty tummy for a day or two than upset and irritate it.

PS. You can give Immodium to help with the diarhea to Roscoe.

Edited by MP_the4pack

I vote for a vet trip or phone consult at the earliest practical opportunity. But I don't think that "resting" (oops) sleeping all day is necessarily a good sign, and I'm sure continued "water" isn't.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I also vote for a vet trip :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Hoping to hear he's had some fluids and meds and is back home resting .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prayers for Roscoe to feel better...hopefully the Big D caused just a temporary irritation to his bowels.

I do hope they check for hooks.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

We're home!

*sigh* What a day. The vet did a fecal sample, all clear, and a mini blood panel to look at liver and kidney values. Those all came out normal. They also determined that his dehydration level was at a 47, so they pumped fluids under his skin. We went home with Pepcid, Carafate, and Flagyl. The whole episode was determined to be Gastroenteritis- or- a stomach bug.

Roscoe is loaded up on meds, no dinner tonight.. I don't want to push my luck, and he is flat out passed out on his bed. I'm hoping tonight is uneventful.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Guest freightsmom

Your friends up the highyway in Richmond are sending best wishes for a quick recovery to Roscoe and a restful night for you!

:kiss2 Roscoe :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France