I Feel Awful

Guest tbrodzel

One other thing that might be of use is to establish "dog grooming" time. With a new dog I usually do this when we come back from a walk each day -- keep dog on leash, squat or kneel next to dog, and "groom" dog gently with my fingers all over, starting with the neck/shoulder; pick up feet one by one; take a peek in ears; etc. Just 3-4 minutes, "good dog!", maybe a treat for a really spooky one, unhook leash, we're done. Helps the dog get used to being touched and handled by the new owner, and helps person learn "Hey! This dog really likes ear rubs!" and so on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Furmom

Everytime I read guzehunds words it brings tears to my eyes (I have them printed out and over the years have read them many times). Our first grey Bee Gee was a bit of a brat. Tried to eat me within the first two weeks, and once learned that was not the way bonded to DH and tolerated me. Then a couple of years ago, something clicked - she is now mommy's girl. She figured out that I love her more than anything - I am there for her anytime - I am dedicated. Give your pup time :)

Guest tbrodzel

You did a lot of research on greyhounds and somehow came away with the impression that they were a cuddling breed??? :huh

I'm willing to bet that in her research, the OP found greys described as loving and affectionate - which can make people think they are world class cuddlers. I know that I thought they would be cuddlers too, but quickly learned that "affectionate" means affection in their own way. Molly definitely loves us, but is not a lapdog! If she feels crowded, she'll move somewhere else.

Now that we've let her on the couch, however, she'll often hop up, lay down, and push her nose between the back of my couch and where my butt is. :lol :lol

Thank you Jubilee251! As I had said in my post I must have misunderstood what was meant when people said they are affectionate dogs. Thanks for understanding what I meant.

As far as an earlier post where someone likens picking a dog to their husband, that is absurd. Most people have a bit of time to get to know their mate and their personality before marriage. I met my pup only 1 time before we adopted her, AND many people said the dog I adopt will not be the same dog a year from now. So even if I met my dog several times, she will be different as she gets used to retired life in a loving home. So it is a totally different thing than picking a spouse.

I am just a new dog mommy and learning things as I go. I appreciate all of the encouragement and support as I make it through the first year with my friend Brynna. As I said before I would NEVER trade her for anything or anyone. On Thursday she was at the groomers for a bath and play date and I missed her immediately. Even my Mom said the house just wasn't the same without her. She is so much a part of our life. She makes us smile and laugh every day. :colgate

I felt the same way when we got lexie. Don't give up hope. It took lexie 6 months to be comfortable with us...2 years to finally want to get close to cuddle and 3 years for her to have separation anxiety from us..lol..now she won't leave our sides. I always wished she would jump on the bed and snuggle and about 2 years after having her, I was real sick and couldn't get out of bed. She must have sensed it because she not only jumped up, but layed her head down right on my stomach. greyhounds are "different " dogs but the joy and reward is there. hang in there

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest KennelMom

As far as an earlier post where someone likens picking a dog to their husband, that is absurd. Most people have a bit of time to get to know their mate and their personality before marriage.

That was my reference. I married my husband on our second date...I've actually known some dogs longer than I knew him before I adopted them :lol

Apparently you misunderstood my point. My point is to spend less time worrying and being disappointed in what your dog is/isn't or what you want them to be...and try accepting them with an open mind and heart to be what they are and grow into the dog they want to be. (and p.s. neither my husband nor I are the same people we were 6 years ago when we got married but the same principle applies...we accept each other as we are, not as we want to make the other person be)

People ask how we adopt the dogs we adopt and turn them into "normal" dogs. I think it's because we don't try to fit them into a mold of what we think they should be, on a timeline we dream up. Rather than getting offended at what I'm saying, perhaps you can see that I was *trying* to give you some insight based on my somewhat extensive experience in adopting a variety of greyhound personalities.

But...whatevs :rolleyes:

Guest Samantha

They're all different, and just you would watch a child grow and learn, the same happens with your dog, till eventually they blossom into the hound they are going to be wether thats the good the bad or the ugly (ok maybe not ugly!) :unsure . Our job is to nurture and love no matter what.

I think KennelMom was just offering advice, she has a lot of experience with adopting greys of all different personalitys and backgrounds.

Guest gecko_foot

I married my husband on our second date...I've actually known some dogs longer than I knew him before I adopted them :lol

:eek On the second date, and you're still married? That's amazing! I know people who have dated for years and are still dating...

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Guest iconsmum

what Kennelmom and Batmom said is absolutely on the money (as usual :) Having a greyhound is a fantastic opportunity to teach yourself to observe the subtleties of dogs in general...she may be giving you nice body language that you are not aware of. Try reading a little on the subject, or talk to a good trainer for half an hour - you may be pleasantly surprised at what's going on right under your nose!

Guest BlingDogs

Just wait a while and always leave a spot on the couch beside you, and you'll never know when she will want to snuggle.

Guest irongrl

You did a lot of research on greyhounds and somehow came away with the impression that they were a cuddling breed???

To be fair, if one's research includes meeting greyhounds at a M&G there are usually a few greyhounds that will not only be cuddly but will try to climb into your pocket. Based on the dogs I've seen out representing adoption I would have expected all greys to be leaners, snugglers, and attention demanding cuddlers. :dunno M&G dogs are often the exceptionally tolerant, not the average personality -- who brings a spook to Petsmart to balance out the perception?

Then you add in the photos online of greys snuggling with each other, with cats, with other dog breeds, with children and with couch cushions . . .

There's no research like actually living with a dog, unfortunately.

From the research I've been doing, through reading and also going to M&Gs, I have developed the impression that

Greyhounds are cuddly, very attached to their people, and very sweet and gentle. I've heard them described as "velcro" dogs, which

would lead me to believe they are cuddly also. I'm sure the OP did the same kind of research that I am doing.

Guest SusanP

Many are cuddly, but some are less so. Still, they change a lot in the first year or more in a home, and I wouldn't give up. Keep doing things to bond with her--things *she* likes, so she learns to trust and love you. Take her for long walks or kick a ball for her in the yard or feed her treats or groom her with a rubber mitt. These are things our guys love, though they don't *all* love the same things. Find out what she likes and do it with her, Make bonding experiences on her terms. That can go a long way to helping her warm up. Some of ours took awhile to really, really "get it" that we were their family.

Our old girl Zippy loves tummy rubs, but she will bend her neck at the strangest angles to keep it away from us if we try to cuddle her with our faces to close to her face. It doesn't mean she's not cuddly, just that she has a preference about *how* she's cuddled. So she gets lots of tummy rubs.

Don't be discouraged yet!

Everytime I read guzehunds words it brings tears to my eyes (I have them printed out and over the years have read them many times). Our first grey Bee Gee was a bit of a brat. Tried to eat me within the first two weeks, and once learned that was not the way bonded to DH and tolerated me. Then a couple of years ago, something clicked - she is now mommy's girl. She figured out that I love her more than anything - I am there for her anytime - I am dedicated. Give your pup time :)

Just to clarify. Kathleen Gilley is the author of that piece, not me.

I wish I knew half of what she knows! :)

Patricia McConnell addresses issues about cuddling and hugging in one of here books - For the Love of a Dog, I think. It's a good read and explains why we inadvertently make our dogs uncomfortable by hugging and patting them. I think I may have stumbled upon a good way to satisfy my need for cuddles while not annoying Capri too much: I hug her around the middle while rubbing her tummy. She tolerates that very well. It's also important to not squeeze. :colgate

I'm a little confused at time by Capri, also. Lots of times she comes up to me to say hi or whatever and when I reach out to pet her, she pulls away or backs away. Other times she puts her head in my lap for some serious neck rubs. I understand sometimes she feels like touching and other times she doesn't. I guess that's all it is.

Just an interesting anecdote, not at all related to greyhounds: I used to have a gorgeous fluffy Maine Coon cat. She was somewhat standoffish, while bonded to me at the same time. She used to jump up on the bathroom counter while I was doing my vanity stuff, and sit there and watch me. She was so silky soft that I rarely could keep my hands off her, and sometimes I couldn't resist when she was sitting on the counter. I wrapped my arms around her without touching her, or just lightly rubbing her face. Over the years and without any intention of doing so, I gradually closed my arms into a real hug. Toward the end of her life (I still miss her), she would seem to ask for hugs. I could hug her with a gentle bit of squeezing and rubbing her neck and shoulder for a few minutes. That was wonderful.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I think it is easy to forget that when we research a dog breed we are learning about general breed traits. When we bring our very own hound home we begin to deal with a specific individual's traits and preferences rather than the general traits of the breed. I've got 3 hounds and each one is different in they way they interact with me. My MoMo is just what you're looking for--a cuddler, lover, and snuggler. She came to me that way because of the wonderful loving way she was reared. There is nothing subtle about that girl at all. :lol She wiggles and wags and leaps up in the bed with me and tries to crawl into my lap in when I'm in my recliner. Piper, my older boy, loves for me to come to him and sit beside him and pet and stroke him but I'd never call him a cuddler. Spirit also loves attention but he never wags or kisses or greets me enthusiastically--ever. I've learned to recognize the subtle signs he gives of his loving devotion. He is almost always right there--beside me, within reach, pressing close, demanding attention.

This is early in your relationship with your hound and you are both getting to know each other. Also your hound is getting to know home life. There is lots of change and growth ahead for her and indeed, as you said, she likely won't be the same dog a year from now. You already love her so things will be just fine. :wub: Batmom has great advice about some practical activities you can do with her to nurture the loving affectionate relationship between you and your girl. Try not to be too discouraged. There is a lot of opportunity for growth ahead for both of you! Relationships are never static. Think of this one as an opportunity to work with your girl to build the kind of relationship that you want in ways that respects who you are and who she is.

--Lucy

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have found them to be very loving- mine are packed on my bed with me right now like sardines- but theirs is a quiet love. Not in my face and panting and annoying me. I had Goldens as well as sighthounds before and honestly I couldn't do it again. I do think it's odd that your dog growls at you when you pet her. I would consider getting another Grey- one of those ones that is all over you. They will likely enjoy one another and she might just surprise you!

Guest tbrodzel

I would consider getting another Grey- one of those ones that is all over you. They will likely enjoy one another and she might just surprise you!

I would love to get another one (everyone says "you can't have just one!") ha ha. :colgate But my Dad doesn't want any more dogs, he said only one at a time. I keep working on him though.

I am already trying some of the ideas given, so I have confidence and hope that things will improve over time. I appreciate all the personal experiences and suggestions, it really helps me understand the breed more and lets me know I am not alone in my feelings.

I know Brynna likes to be around us, as I type she is laying on the ground right by the computer chair. :wub:

Guest tbrodzel

Yeah, she LOVES plush and squeeky toys. After a few minutes of playing with her, she will take the toy and jump on the couch and then sits on the animal so no one else can take it.

4592164582_6e33e6c24d_z.jpg

4592164234_feffefb469_z.jpg

4592165052_d0336aa9c8_z.jpg

4285900297_46dd56a00b_z.jpg

Holy smokes, she's STUNNING! If all else fails, most of mine have gotten somewhat cuddlier with time. Five is still "wild thing" age :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Samantha

She looks very happy, and to me is showing her love in her body language, she obviously loves being at home and around you by her completely relaxed posture in EVERY picture. :wub: