Are Greyhounds Protective?

Guest RWM

Are Greyhounds protective? You bet they are, but usually by stereotype and their sheer presence. In certain countries (and there was a thread on here the other day) they have a reputation as nasty snarky things.

Would mine protect me? Actually I'd rather she didn't try as then I'd have two problems to be dealing with. But what she does do if any dog is acting oddly (not giving the correctly respectful calming signals) - especially stalking - is growl deeply and roar like a lion and lunge on her leash. This would be her fear talking because I, her supposed pack leader, hadn't bothered to take charge of the threat in good enough time.

She notices stangely behaving people and tries to avoid them... this is excellent if walking around the town at night as you get a very early warning thanks to a statuing dog. Drunks walk and gesture oddly and she cannot stand anything odd.

The only dog that actually protected me in a pro-active sense was the Great Dane. She used her presence and had a very strong no-messing-with-me eye. I remember once she just slowly walked up to a threatening yob and took hold of his forearm and looked back at me. She didn't bite him and he asked me to call her off, but today that would surely be classed as assualt and a dangerous dog (or a knifed-dog) I suppose.

Don't depend on your dog to protect you, your job is really to protect the dog.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given, the "intuitiveness" of pets in general, and greyhounds in particular (which I think is superior to ours), I wonder if greys, as part of their protectiveness, perceive us differently ... that is, are they more likely to protect those of us whom they perceive are in need of protection and less likely to protect those of us whom they perceive are not in need of protection?

I awoke one morning 'bout 4:30; not sure exactly what was wrong. Minty was laying with her nose inches from mine; facing me, with her ears up. Her back was to the bedroom door which was closed.. (important note: spouse and I were separating and he was living still in the house and things were "tense"). 5,6 seconds went by and Minty began a low growl..still not moving..then just as there was a squeak of a step on floorboard outside my bedroom door..and she flew up..kinda flipped her body around so her body was over me; but head facing the door..hackles up..let out a loud growl followed by a frenzy of loud barking... I heard a "SOB" from the other side of the door..hurried footsteps away.. and a few mintues later, his truck start and leave. By then shed'd laid down next to me; panting slightly, head up toaward the window,paw over my chest. Then as the sound of his truck faded away, she snuggled into me like.."it's okay Momma, I'm here."

A few days later he mumbled.. "the dog's gotten awfully protective of you, hasn't she?" (DUH.. ya think) All I said was.. "yup.." He moved out shortly after.

I love my little girly! Funny thing is.. she's such a sweetheart.. every once in a while she might decide, "I'm not so sure about this person, mama.." But that means she puts her body between them and me.. no growl..no meanness..just a "keep your distance from my mom."

Edited by Moonsmom

• 2 years later...
Guest GreytDogMa

I had an out-of-the-ordinary scenario yesterday that got me curious about my greyhound, Bankwit, and his being protective. The situation fits into the thread so I'm going to see what you guys think. Bankwit has been with us since mid-March 2012 and it appears that Bank has chosen me as his person. I do the lions share of walking, feeding and general interacting. I can do just about anything to him and he'll tolerate it. He's ok with my husband, but Bank does establish boundaries with him and will growl when he's had enough. We had a set of delivery men come and deliver a piece of furniture we had ordered. While I was holding his lead, he let the delivery men greet him and he was tolerant. The delivery med were polite and did not overstay their greeting of our houndie...a brief hand sniff and a light pat and they were off to their task. Bank settled in and watched the men come in and out with no sign of worry (he was on lead with me the whole time as we had to keep our front door open). When the men were done and final inspection of the delivery had to be done, I handed the lead to my husband. I inspected the delivery and was standing next to the delivery men on the opposite side of the room, providing signatures of acceptance and Bankwit was a growling, snarling barking like there were going to take me away like they did the piece of furniture we were replacing. I have never seen that side of him. I'm not sure how to feel about it. Any insight weld be helpful.

A little about Bank...79lbs, Male, Brindle, nearly 5 years old, off track since Nov 11, was fostered from Feb 12 till we adopted him in mid-March.

My Jack was extremely protective of me. One time when we were having carpet installed, he spent a good bit of the time eyeballing the guys and giving off low warning growls...(though forever reason, he liked ONE of the guys)...Anyway, at one point, I walked in the room to looks, and the guys were behind me...effectively seperating Jack and me.....He went absolutely crazy. I had him muzzled, because I was concerned that he might get a little over protective, and while he didn't lunge, his bark was aggressive enough, that I think muzzling was wise in this case.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I don't know what to tell you about Bank--maybe he didn't like you being separated from him? I will say, not greyhound specific experiences in my case, but if you have a normally unprotective, not fearful dog getting upset by a stranger, pay attention--I've never had that happen without what turned out to be a good reason.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Are Greyhounds protective? You bet they are, but usually by stereotype and their sheer presence. In certain countries (and there was a thread on here the other day) they have a reputation as nasty snarky things.

Would mine protect me? Actually I'd rather she didn't try as then I'd have two problems to be dealing with. But what she does do if any dog is acting oddly (not giving the correctly respectful calming signals) - especially stalking - is growl deeply and roar like a lion and lunge on her leash. This would be her fear talking because I, her supposed pack leader, hadn't bothered to take charge of the threat in good enough time.

She notices stangely behaving people and tries to avoid them... this is excellent if walking around the town at night as you get a very early warning thanks to a statuing dog. Drunks walk and gesture oddly and she cannot stand anything odd.

The only dog that actually protected me in a pro-active sense was the Great Dane. She used her presence and had a very strong no-messing-with-me eye. I remember once she just slowly walked up to a threatening yob and took hold of his forearm and looked back at me. She didn't bite him and he asked me to call her off, but today that would surely be classed as assualt and a dangerous dog (or a knifed-dog) I suppose.

Don't depend on your dog to protect you, your job is really to protect the dog.

Extremely well said. Not many people realize this....and that it even applies to the working breeds. As usual you hit the nail on the head. Thanks.