Basic Manners...

Guest Furmom

Guest Furmom

So our new pup has NO MANNERS!!! Here is the issue - she runs through dogs not around if tempted.... she also has no trouble stepping on what is in her way (pup laying quietly in the way of a new sound). We have right now tried to be as close as possible and interupt her bad behaviour - however the other dogs are sick of it and trying to correct (grumble to growl). How do you teach her that she is not the only living being in the family??? Any suggestions - much welcome :)

Guest tinams8

Does she react when your dogs correct her? Ideally, they would tell her to mind her manners. It will make more sense to her coming from them.

With time the new sounds will not bother her anymore and hopefully she will settle down naturally. If she is crate trained, I might send her in for a nap during times when you expect her to be causing a ruckus.

As long as nobody's getting absolutely vicious, I'd just muzzle everybody and let the dogs correct her for going thru / stepping on. Their timing is better than a person's.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jaws4evr

Well, if your current dogs are well adjusted, they might be great tools to teach the new dog manners themselves. Depending on how she and they react, you could muzzle them together and see if they can work themselves out or not.

Definetely don't let her walk through you or the other humans, or step on you, etc. You can correct her by not yielding, making sure she yields to you instead, etc.

Guest Furmom

Does she react when your dogs correct her? Ideally, they would tell her to mind her manners. It will make more sense to her coming from them.

With time the new sounds will not bother her anymore and hopefully she will settle down naturally. If she is crate trained, I might send her in for a nap during times when you expect her to be causing a ruckus.

She acts surprised when they tell her off - and then goes off by herself - that is why we are trying to intervene. I don't want it to get worse.... but I can't in all my years of owning dogs figure how primary "don't do that" is not coming into play....

Joey was like that. I let the rest of the pack teach him his manners. Everyone was muzzled and if they let loose on him then fine, he learned a lesson and he has. He no longer knocks the other dogs out of the way, steps on them or tries to push them away from the door. I watched carefully but growls and snarls were the way he learned.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Furmom

Joey was like that. I let the rest of the pack teach him his manners. Everyone was muzzled and if they let loose on him then fine, he learned a lesson and he has. He no longer knocks the other dogs out of the way, steps on them or tries to push them away from the door. I watched carefully but growls and snarls were the way he learned.

I wass afraid of that :) I knew we were not quick enough and that it might get some muzzling for awhile - DH thought that more than just doing our training with the new dog (ie the old dogs get tired of the stuff they know so we take away and go somewhere quiet) with time they would all fall into line. Thanks for the advice :) There really is no quick fix .... no matter how much you are determined....

It sounds to me like she needs to learn impulse control. Is she young?

Here is how you teach impulse control: teach her the wait command. NILIF training is also very good for this. Make her sit (or down if sitting is hard/impossible) and wait to eat every meal. Same thing at the door. Sit/down and wait to be allowed to walk through the door or approach the door to see who is there. Anything that she gets super excited about, make her wait first. It will take time, but she *will* learn patience by doing this. Once she figures out that she has to sit and wait (i.e. that there is a routine to be followed), she will start to do it almost without being commanded to! Be very consistent with this, or you'll undermine your efforts.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Might we be taking about Ms. Camp? this will take time and the others will show her the way. Elsie, who was just about turning 10 when we got her was a bull in a china shop. Since she has come to live with us, the others have accepted that she is a pushy biotch and let her get her way but sometimes there is a grrrr when she is being too much.

Your pack will figure it out. Give it time, Supervise and when you can't ... muzzle.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Furmom

Might we be taking about Ms. Camp? this will take time and the others will show her the way. Elsie, who was just about turning 10 when we got her was a bull in a china shop. Since she has come to live with us, the others have accepted that she is a pushy biotch and let her get her way but sometimes there is a grrrr when she is being too much.

Your pack will figure it out. Give it time, Supervise and when you can't ... muzzle.

We would indeed be talking about none other than Ms. Camp. We have taught her to lay down, stay, back up - she really is a smart girl - (We have always used a version of NILIF), I just beleive that she really doesn't know any better. I had to laugh when I read "bull in a china shop" because that is exactly what I think about her. Time - that is all it is gonna take and I know that, just feel bad for the poor girl cause when Bee or Joiya tell her off she goes off to feel sorry for herself. I just have to be patient and let them all work it out I guess.

Guest Furmom

You were all right.... I saw it for the last few days.... she notices the other dogs and waits her turn. There have been no grumbles in the house for the last few days :)

how about keeping her on lead with you in the house. this way you can show her what is expected. i do that with a new dog or a foster. when i cook in the kitchen i keep the newbee w/ me. close the gate and work on manners 101. once they get it in the kitchen, fridge, counter and garbage off limits then the rest goes pretty quickly. it's time you can give her lots of praise and attention. then eventually they learn to lie down near you while you do something idle. slowly the picture unfolds and manners develop.

You were all right.... I saw it for the last few days.... she notices the other dogs and waits her turn. There have been no grumbles in the house for the last few days smile.gif

Yah Camp!!!!! Streamroller or bull in a china shop do indeed describe her!!! I'm so impressed that she's taken to the other training you've done with her. And you're right - she is smart - and she really wants to please you. Hugs to your girls!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest chaoran22

this describes my second dog EXACTLY. she was so terrible (still is sometimes) and thought nothing of stepping on my other dog if he was in her way, and I'm not talking about carelessly stepping on his tail or paw, she would actually run right over his body! I couldn't believe it. He would get so mad at her - he did not go from grumble to growl, he went straight into a SNARL with teeth contact, but never bit her or hurt her in anyway - he was amazing at walking the very fine line of giving her a "I WILL KILL YOU AND EAT YOU" message without actually ever hurting her. Despite him being very clear, she didn't seem to get the message at first and continued doing it, but since he was being very good about telling her, we just let them work it out and after some time (several months), i guess it was getting through to her a little bit because she got better and she's a LOT better about it now.

so if your other pups are correcting her, just let it be and see if it gets better with time. when we see it happen, we also would say "no" firmly right after she does it, but didn't push the issue as we figure it's my boy's job to tell her what annoys him when she does it to him.

By the way, our girl still shoves everyone out of the way when she feels like it. My other dog has always tolerated her shoving him out of the way so we don't do anything about it. We don't yield when she tries to shove us out of the way so we often have the situation where she runs straight at me, head butts my butt, looks surprised I didn't move out of her way :rolleyes: and then she'll go around me. It's bizarre to me a greyhound who has lived with so many dogs her whole life can be so oblivious to manners but that's the way she is, and she's learned a lot but i don't think will ever be super conscientious or polite - oh well! it's part of what makes her cute :)

She acts surprised when they tell her off - and then goes off by herself - that is why we are trying to intervene. I don't want it to get worse.... but I can't in all my years of owning dogs figure how primary "don't do that" is not coming into play....

What to get worse? She showed bad manners to other dogs - other dogs corrected her without being aggressive - and she backed off. Sounds perfect to me. The dogs will teach her manners. I wouldn't intervene unless aggression is shown.