Fireworks (Sigh)

Help, please. My angel hound, Indy, was freaked out by fireworks so I understand the problem. The worst thing he did was pee in the house.

My new hound, who I adopted 3+ months ago, is also very frightened of fireworks. He has separation anxiety and was peeing in the house but has made good progress in recent weeks.

Unfortunately, I have a neighbor who blows off fireworks year 'round. This activity does not require a holiday. The past few days they were firing off a few practice rounds for the 4th of July. My new dog has pretty much secluded himself in a spare room for the past few days. He does not want to go outside. Doesn't matter what time of day it is. Period.

I have gone about my business and not made a big deal about it. My other hound, Holly, could care less. Anyway, I have coaxed new dog out and leash-walked him in the yard and, at least, got him to go potty (no. 1). But then all he wants to do is make an immediate beeline for the door.

Last night, while I got him to go potty, I couldn't inspire him to poop. I allowed him to sleep in the spare room and went off to bed. Eventually, new dog came into the bedroom.

This morning I discovered (no surprise) two big poo piles in foyer area. :sick:ohno

About an hour after breakfast this morning, I was able to get him out to potty and poop using a clicker and yummy treats; however, I fear this approach will not always prove successful.

I am going to drop a polite note in the neighbor's mailbox and beg for mercy but there are many others who blast off fireworks in the neighborhood. And this could go on for a month or more.

I tried Rescue Remedy with Indy, but it was of no value.

I can deal with the peeing, but any suggestions on the pooping -- other than crating (which I will simply have to do at times)??

This is such a drag. I feel so bad for my dog but what can you do??

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Wayne is very noise phobia so I sure do understand.

Many people have tried Melatonin with great success and I would start there. It's not a drug so you can give it throughout the day.

I was using it for the boys for thunder but their fear was just too severe for it to work, but you may have success. I was giving 3 tablets(3mg) twice a day.

I would also talk to your vet about the problem and see what drug he/she would suggest. One of the anti anxiety meds should help.

Good luck, I hope you find something to help

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest lizmego

Speak to your vet about Alprazolam (generic Xanax). The only issue you are going to have, and its a pretty big one, is that you need to dose the Alprazolam about 30 minutes prior to the first boom sound. So while its great for thunderstorms and 4th of July, since you know there will be fireworks that day, it does not help you with the random days that your neighbor decides to light off fireworks. I don't know if you can/should doze everyday with Alprazolam, talk to your vet about it.

Alprazolam worked wonders with Power who was scared of thunder and fireworks. Only the 4th of July we still had to sequester ourselves in the basement with at least 4-5 DVDs.

Good luck!

I would ask the neighbor to give you a heads up when they are going to do this (assuming that you get along ok). Explaining that you have a new Greyhound who has never seen or heard noises like this might help to reduce the activity in the immediate area next door. You can't eliminate it altogether, but you can at least make them aware of the issue.

Our boy Rocket didn't like the noises on his first holiday here, but now he could care less. We don't react to it, so neither does he. A neighbor of our shoots them off about 40 feet out our back lawn as the properties adjoin at the pond. Shooting them over the pond seems to be a favorite activity in this neighborhood.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Where do you live, reason I ask, is it even legal to shoot off fireworks? If not, well there is your course, call the police. Actually depending on the time of day/night, regardless if it is legal or not, it is still a nusance complaint.

Where do you live, reason I ask, is it even legal to shoot off fireworks? If not, well there is your course, call the police. Actually depending on the time of day/night, regardless if it is legal or not, it is still a nusance complaint.

Thanks everyone. I may have to try melatonin or go the medication route. In addition, with today being Father's Day, my dad and brother came over and new dog would not go near either. He did take a few treats from my dad but otherwise ran away from him. I'm guessing he's not a big fan of men either (another sigh). :lol

As for the legality of the fireworks, actually I live right around the corner from the county sheriff's dept so I assume they are okay with the commotion.

I suspect this may be a long summer.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest TeddysMom

It is hard for me to believe that it would be legal anywhere in a town or city. That has to be just horrible for you new pup. I don't think either Spice or Blossom would be able to stand that kind of comotion without drugs they are both spooky anyway. Maybe you could just call to check on the city/county ordinances. If enough people complain maybe if nothing else it could be a disturbing the peace violation. Good luck.

Guest EmilyandSioux

I guess we got off lucky or easy with Sioux since he is a spook. He doesn't mind the fireworks as long as we are around. He has learned to trust us and is secure in that now. The first year was bad but we got thru it with Benadryl as a sedative. Fortunatly, it knocks him for a loop. I know in Texas you can't have them in the city but the county is ok only for a certain period of time before the holiday.

It is hard for me to believe that it would be legal anywhere in a town or city. That has to be just horrible for you new pup. I don't think either Spice or Blossom would be able to stand that kind of comotion without drugs they are both spooky anyway. Maybe you could just call to check on the city/county ordinances. If enough people complain maybe if nothing else it could be a disturbing the peace violation. Good luck.

Yep, it's legal. We have the same problem with the new McMansion neighbors ... all summer fireworks all the time ... and my kids hate those things. We try to time their later evening potty for around 9pm, just before the fireworks start. They may go out again after the fireworks have ended, but not always. Camp opens early, so it's not too bad if their last evening pee was at 9p. When the fireworks are blasting, we hunker down with the doors and windows closed and the TV or DVD going, or their relaxation tape (volume louder than usual). rolleyes.gif Summer can be verryyy long.

I learned that on our road/section of town, it is also legal to SHOOT squirrels and geese. angryfire.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I learned that on our road/section of town, it is also legal to SHOOT squirrels and geese. angryfire.gif

Uhm, geese are a protected species (US Fish and Wildlife) We had one attacking people at my old condo--two people actually broke bones! And we were not allowed to do ANYTHING about it because of their protected status. Don't know who told you it was legal...there may be certain places where there is a goose season, but you need a permit and such.

As far as the Sheriff goes, I wouldn't assume he'd just do something if he heard the noise. If he thinks no one cares, he frankly probably has bigger fish to fry. I would definitely call!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Uhm, geese are a protected species (US Fish and Wildlife) We had one attacking people at my old condo--two people actually broke bones! And we were not allowed to do ANYTHING about it because of their protected status. Don't know who told you it was legal...there may be certain places where there is a goose season, but you need a permit and such.

As far as the Sheriff goes, I wouldn't assume he'd just do something if he heard the noise. If he thinks no one cares, he frankly probably has bigger fish to fry. I would definitely call!

The squirrels are in the yard of a recluse who planted on his property, of all things, nut trees. Helloooooo. Nut trees/squirrels. Everyone knows he's a little, um, off, nothing will be done about him.

The geese have apparently bothered the crops on the working farm where they frequent the pond and feast on strawberries. I called the cops after nearly losing the two greys I was walking when they freaked at gunshot (we now have 2Hounds harnesses, thank you, Alicia), and was told then that these people either have permission to hunt the geese themselves or have given permission to others. angryfire.gifangryfire.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Fireworks are legal in lots of places that are not in the middle of nowhere. They are legal where I live in Renton, and the day turns into a blasting free for all. Every dog I have ever had has been terrified of them. I could never leave the house. But Opie? He seems fascinate - like what are those lights in the sky with all the noise? A few years ago DH played a 4th of July festival. Since it was a ways away, we took Opie with us. I intended to put him in the car when the fireworks started, but he just stood there and watched!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Thanks everyone. Just a quick update: New dog recently graduated from a "Greyhounds Only" obedience class so I called the trainer and discussed the fireworks dilemma with her. She outlined out a master plan and so far, so good.

I also elected to up the ante with Spam Lite :chow -- y'know if you read the label (lower sodium, less fat), they make it sound like a health food! :lol

Per the trainer and GT suggestions, I started new dog on Melatonin (3 mg) and take him out a different door (with many treats) to do his business. He will occasionally go out the patio door into the back yard but with great reservation.

I wrote an anonymous letter (very polite with humor) to the neighbor shooting off the fireworks. I described my dog's trauma, pooping in the house, etc., and begged for mercy with a smile. All quiet on the front for now. My neighborhood is kinda like the wild west, so there is a finite amount I can do. :rolleyes:

Good luck to all the storm and fireworks-phobic puppers and their owners.