Heat Exhaustion And Heat Stroke Can Kill Your Dog And You!

Guest Energy11

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeddysMom

Some of you may be tired of seeing this thread but over this long weekend with people out and on the go a lot, I think it is important to keep this reminder in everyones mind. With this kind of heat everyone needs to remember to protect their pets. If you go hiking or walking remember to take plenty of water and a rag so you can wipe your dog down, stay in the shade as much as possible and be very careful not to walk them on the hot pavement or concrete. Better to be overly cautious than end up in the Evet with a sick dog.

Guest Energy11

Thanks for bumping! I would have done it tomorrow. As many of you know, the Eastern Seaboard and the Northeast is in for some "dangerous heat," according to The Weather Channel! NY State is supposed to be 95 Sunday, 96 Monday! OMG!! AND, a lot of folks up there do NOT have AC, including my 85 yr old Dad and 81 yr old Mom (cardiac patient)! I WORRY A LOT!!

I have offered to send Dad a window AC via Wal-mart.com ... "No, don't need one ... I can pull the cold air from the cellar and use my fan ... " he says! UGH! Mom ... "I am trying to close on a house, and cannot afford an AC right now!" ... Well, as many people know, the elderly do NOT do well with heat!

That said, all of you AND your houndies, kitties, kids, whatever, BE CAREFUL!! Those temps on The Eastern Seaboard and The Northeast will be BRUTAL!! I CAN tell you what it is like to see a HUMAN or DOG (*I have seen both ...) die of heat stroke! It is HORRIBLE!

Be COOL, be SAFE! Dee

Edited by Energy11

I'm glad we hardly ever get it that hot over here in England, though with low 80's and high humidity it can still be a nightmare for Greys. Mine doesn't actually run what I'd call 'danger free' until it's below something like 64F.

Someone told me you can buy reflecting coats for them like these, but I like to keep misting the dog for evaporative cooling.

http://www.grweshop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Dog_Coats_12.html#a110_2d007

Here's another reminder about H. E. R. from GreyhoundGap - a UK site.

http://greyhoundgap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=New&action=display&thread=34223

Thanks for those links, John. I'm forwarding the second one to my DH, who always wants to let the dogs do what they seem to want to do, sometimes including walking too far!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Bump!

100s predicted for some of the Northeast today, and they are NOT heat indexes, but real temps! Be Careful, Please.

Guest greygirls2

Yes....and it doesn't even need to be that hot. A few weeks ago it was a very overcast day, no sun, about 68* but...very humid. We only walked the dogs 1/2 the way when my Daughter in law's grey, Alyx, started to stumble and lower his head.....he was fainting! I grabbed his leash and held him up talking to him and petting him while she ran for her car. My three were very concerned about their cousin Alyx and didn't make a peep, just stood there with me and watched him. He was already feeling better when we loaded him into the car but he went straight home for a drink and wet down. Apparently he can't tolerate the humidity at all so we are very careful with him now. Who knew.....it wasn't even a hot day....so just a FYI for everyone. Sure put a damper on our day and scared the living jeepers out of us humans!

Guest Energy11

Yes, HUMIDITY can kill! Having lived in Florida sixteen years, we became experts on that subject :-(

The air is full of moisture, which inhibits the body's cooling mechanisms. It also makes the air "heavy" making it hard to breath, for people and dogs, especially dogs like pugs, bulldogs, etc.,

Thanks for bringing up this point, because you are soooo right! Just because the ambient temps are "low", ... doesn't mean you still don't have to be careful with high humidities.

Also, don't be an idiot (like me) and spend all your time worrying about your dog and your DH and give yourself heat exhaustion--know what to do for human to.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

Also, don't be an idiot (like me) and spend all your time worrying about your dog and your DH and give yourself heat exhaustion--know what to do for human to.

Also EXCELLENT advice!

Even though it was A LOT cooler yesterday, DH was out weedwacking. He went through two bottles of Gatorade, and I had him put an ice pack, wrapped in a towel, around his neck. Years ago, when we lived in Fla., after throwing sod most of the day, and drinking only iced tea, DH fell out on the bathroom floor during the night... heat related! If I hadn't been an active medic at the time, he'd have gone to the ER, but I handled it.

People and animals DIE from heat and humidity! mad.gif

Guest TeddysMom

I agree. :nod Did that twice when I had the kennel in FL. Barely made it back to the house, no cell phone with me and no way anyone would have heard me call for help. 2nd time I learned my lesson and always made sure I had my cell phone on me. I just can't take the heat or humidity. Temp is low today here, overcast but the rain is coming and the humidity is really high, feels like I am breathing through a warm, wet rag, no walks for us today...again. Please stay safe everyone.

Guest Energy11

Another bump! NORTHEAST PEEPS!!!!! You are under a heat advisory Tues and Wed., and heat indexes 104+, and EXTREMELY HIGH humidities! eek.gif

Please check on friends and neighbors and their pets, especially if they don't have AC!

Be careful, please!

Guest TeddysMom

Another heat wave has hit us here in the Ozarks, it is hot and still as a tomb. It is scary for the folks in the NE, the temps and the humidity spell lots of heat related incidents. Please be very careful with your pets and yourselves. I just want fall & winter back again.

Guest Energy11

Another heat wave has hit us here in the Ozarks, it is hot and still as a tomb. It is scary for the folks in the NE, the temps and the humidity spell lots of heat related incidents. Please be very careful with your pets and yourselves. I just want fall & winter back again.

I've been wanting fall and winter since April! NO SPRING here, and we, too, are having another wave of upper 90s this week! Can't Wait!!! mad.gifangryfire.gif

Guest mountain4greys

It's 100 here right now, and going to get warmer all this week. I told my DW that I wondered if I put water in the hounds swimming pool, would they even come outside on the porch to get in the pool, or would they stay inside in the ac. :lol :lol Not a hard one to figure out here.

Guest Energy11

It's 100 here right now, and going to get warmer all this week. I told my DW that I wondered if I put water in the hounds swimming pool, would they even come outside on the porch to get in the pool, or would they stay inside in the ac. lol.giflol.gif Not a hard one to figure out here.

It is ridiculous to be that hott in WV! Years ago, when I was a photojournalist, we spent a year in Parkersburg, and the summers were not bad at all!

Your dogs are probably too smart to venture out into the pool, and let's face it, the water would get VERY hot VERY quickly! Guess you'd have to buy a few bags of ice to add to the water!

All kidding aside, ... stay cool and safe!

Guest 4dogscrazy

Glad this topic is still up front! It is record breaking hot here in PA, we had to be very careful today with the kids and the parade. Mine is a cheerleader and was walking around with a wagon selling soda and water. I tried to keep a good eye on her, she is not heat tolerant at all, like her mum. Thankfully everyone was ok! I did send my sister a text to watch her 7 mo old puppy, he's a bernese mountain dog with a ton of spunk! I think I'll post a warning on facebook too! People get tired of me talking about animals on there :lol but if I remind one person and it helps... :P

Guest Energy11

Glad this topic is still up front! It is record breaking hot here in PA, we had to be very careful today with the kids and the parade. Mine is a cheerleader and was walking around with a wagon selling soda and water. I tried to keep a good eye on her, she is not heat tolerant at all, like her mum. Thankfully everyone was ok! I did send my sister a text to watch her 7 mo old puppy, he's a bernese mountain dog with a ton of spunk! I think I'll post a warning on facebook too! People get tired of me talking about animals on there lol.gif but if I remind one person and it helps... tongue.gif

GREAT idea to post a reminder on Facebook. I belong, but really don't go on there much. Like it here, better! smile.gif ... Yes, people aren't used to heat this intense, and a lot of people do die during this type of heatwave! Keep cool and take care! cool.gif

Anyone else's dog refusing to go outside? Patrick will go out, glare at me for my failure to air condition the outdoors, do his thing, and then come right back in. Not that I can blame him, it's been 100+ for days.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

Anyone else's dog refusing to go outside? Patrick will go out, glare at me for my failure to air condition the outdoors, do his thing, and then come right back in. Not that I can blame him, it's been 100+ for days.

When we had our 21-day streak of mid to high 90s, ours would only go out to pee and poop! Can't really blame them! GOD, 100+ for DAYS is HORRIBLE! angryfire.gif

Temps were never like this years ago, never.

We will be 97, lovely hott, humid degrees here Thursday. Can't wait!

All you can do is let them out and, right back into the AC. Same for ourselves. NOT a time to be out of doors! mad.gif Summer sucks!

Guest Energy11

pepper.gif Bumped again!

Sure do wish we could let this topic die, but now, most of the country and Canada is HOTT AND HUMID!!! Temps are officially SCARY!!!! mad.gifeek.gifsmokin.gif

I hope everyone is cool and safe, and you don't lose power!!

Guest tbrodzel

Thank you for sharing this info, I am a new dog owner. This will be good info for me to share with my Mom, as she took my Brynna to the dog park today (I have no idea what time, but it was humid all day).

Guest LindsaySF

It was 103 in CT today. It never gets that hot here. blink.gif The rest of the week is going to be a scorcher too. Be careful everyone!