Heat Exhaustion And Heat Stroke Can Kill Your Dog And You!

Guest Energy11

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Y'all just be glad you aren't in Arizona. Temps in Chandler: yesterday 112, today 115 forecast, tomorrow 117 forecast, saturday 114 forecast. Overnight "lows" of 89/90. Even when you're used to the desert summer this is just miserable. Stay cool!

I'd have to slit my throat if I lived there. UGH!!! sad.gif

Guest Energy11

Bump! MID 90s in the NE again!!!! 3/4 of the country in the "reds and pinks" on the weather map! :-( Will this EVER end????

Guest kydie

this heat wave is a big shock for us here in western Pa. :unsure the humidity is in the 70's, we think it is hot here when it get to 80 degrees, I can't think what August will be like, that is when we get our high temps of "80" :blink:

Guest 4dogscrazy

It is pretty crazy, my air-conditioner in my bedroom konked out last night, I thought we were going to die! It's the humidity, wow. Worse was the fact that I fussed and worried all day today at work that the dogs were hot. I had the other air-conditioner running in the other side of the house, but it's not where their beds are. It was cool in here when I got home, they weren't even panting. I had to close the windows, since it was thunderstorming when I was home at lunch and Piper is thunderphobic, so no open windows. Good lord I was in a pickle today. I ran straight to wal-mart right after work to get another one...only 5, FIVE, left in the entire store. It was tiny too, but it will have to do. I've had dogs all my life, and never worried about them dying of heatstroke before. August gets hot, but not this bad, this many days in a row. :(

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest NeroAmber

Thanks for posting this- It's not as hot here in the UK as it is in America, but as I've learnt today- that doesn't matter if people aren't careful!

Guest Energy11

Thanks for posting this- It's not as hot here in the UK as it is in America, but as I've learnt today- that doesn't matter if people aren't careful!

All dogs AND people are effected by the heat differently. That dog walker and his service, NEED to be more aware of this, and keep the walks short. I know you've had heat and humidity over there in the UK as well.

As mentioned in the post, I have seen both humans and dogs (all breeds) get sick and die from the heat!

Good Luck!

Guest Energy11

O.K. who ordered this heat? blink.gif Not me! cool.gif

NOT ME! Heck, I LEFT Florida, due to heat like this! angryfire.gifmad.gif

We had two really decent summers here, now this!

Let's try ordering winter back ... SOON!!!! wink.gif

Guest kydie

Anything below the Massion-Dixon line is toooooooo hot for me, no matter what people who live in the south say,,,,,, give me snow,,,,, least you can sholve it out of the way :blink: ,,, not a da@@ thing you can do about the heat or hurricans B) So I'll be sending the heat back down your way REAL soon :lol

Edited by kydie

Guest Energy11

Anything below the Massion-Dixon line is toooooooo hot for me, no matter what people who live in the south say,,,,,, give me snow,,,,, least you can sholve it out of the way blink.gif ,,, not a da@@ thing you can do about the heat or hurricans cool.gif So I'll be sending the heat back down your way REAL soon lol.gif

We are in the mountains here, so we do get snow :-) Not as much as you guys, though. I was born and brought up in NY State (The Hudson Valley). I couldn't get DH to move that far north, so we settled for the North Georgia Mountains, where you GET SEASONS! My Dad in NY isn't doing well, so the plan is, to get up there if/when we can get out of our lease.

I agree!!! Give me WINTER anytime~ I can warm up, much easier than cooling down, and I don't have to be a prisoner in my own home! wink.gif

Guest Energy11

Good thoughs to your Dad

Thanks! He is having a HARD time with this heat. I found a nice 9K BTU portable AC, but he says, he doesn't need it! :-( UGH! His kidneys aren't functioning properly, and I am waiting to hear from the doctor, about the results of his kidney untrasound.

I wish your heatwave would break already~

Guest Energy11

It's 92 right now and the heat index...................108!

YIKES!!!!!!! It is actually cooler in Florida!! Go figure!

Ask me where my dogs are and I'll give you a hint, they're not outside!:lol I've got 10 slugs laying around the house and Jilly Bean, where else, out in her pool!:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Ask me where my dogs are and I'll give you a hint, they're not outside!lol.gif I've got 10 slugs laying around the house and Jilly Bean, where else, out in her pool!lol.gif

Ours are slugs, too! They spend the day lying around. They go into the front pen, mostly shaded (smaller) for pee and pooping, and the larger pen, not much shade, earlier in the day and in the late evenings to stretch their legs. NO walks for them, as it is JUST TOO HOTTT AND HUMID! We are virtually prisoners in the house mad.gif ...

Guest Energy11

BUMP!! ****99 degrees here today**** with heat indexes in the 100s! UNREAL!! angryfire.gif

Just put this up again as a reminder. We just got back inside from grooming the greys, and I am drenched with sweat. DANGEROUS OUT THERE, VERY VERY DANGEROUS!!! mad.gif

Will summer EVER end???? sad.gif

Guest Energy11

Another bump, based on the RIDICULOUS temperatures!! You guys asked for this to be bumped while the heat was on. God, this weather is TIRING AND HORRIBLE! angryfire.gifmad.gif

Stay safe and cool if you can!

Guest TeddysMom

This is the first day in weeks that it did not get to 90 degrees. The dogs actually enjoyed being outside for more than a few minutes at a time. Too bad it isn't going to last, tomorrow the forcast calls for the 90's again. Our new AC should be installed by Wednesday and I can hardly wait. I can't even imagine what August is going to be like. Keep yourselves and your pets safe.

Guest Energy11

Congrats on the new AC!!!

One of my GH friends down the road here, sets her AC at 74. With this HEAT, she can't keep her house under 81!! :-((

I, too, am worried about AUGUST!!!! We've had unseasonable heat here since the end of March!!! Am I in Florida again??? mad.gif

Keep cool and be safe! wink.gif

I am so sick of this heat angryfire.gif I feel so bad for the pups cause we haven't been able to go to the park for our walks in weeks. They just don't understand how dangerous it is out there and everytime I get up they think we are going for a walk sad.gif I guess it could be worse and we all could be shoveling tons of snow lol.gif

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg