Heat Exhaustion And Heat Stroke Can Kill Your Dog And You!

Guest Energy11

Guest freightsmom

Good grief! When I signed on the internet 15 mins ago, the temp here was still at 100 degrees. The high today was 103 and tomorrow is looking for 105.

And, people want to know why I want to move back to the Gulf side of Florida :blink:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Good grief! When I signed on the internet 15 mins ago, the temp here was still at 100 degrees. The high today was 103 and tomorrow is looking for 105.

And, people want to know why I want to move back to the Gulf side of Florida blink.gif

I was just telling DH that FLORIDA is the cool spot in the country????????? What the???

I lived in the St. Pete Beach area for a long time. I was a paramedic in Pinellas County. The beach is the ONLY place in Fla., I'd ever live again. When we moved to the Greater Orlando area, I died of the heat! Just not a heat person!!

Guest TeddysMom

I thought maybe it was just me that thinks it is horrible here this year but I was talking to a farmer at the feed store yesterday, he said this year is like it was 30 years ago. He said it has been years since a July has been this hot for this long here in the Ozarks. He was telling me how bad the crops have been without the normal rainfall, everything is drying up even peoples gardens unless they water with hoses. Stay safe and keep your animal buddies safe too.

Guest Energy11

We just had a "Brown Out!" I tell ya, the ACs were off (*we use room units) for ten minutes, and the house was HORRIBLE! Just made me think, what if we aren't home, and get one of these Brown Outs? A lot of window-type ACs do NOT turn back on, and some of your centrals units as well!

This happened to DD in S. Fla. last week. They had storms, and they tripped her breaker. When she got home, her house was 90 and her French Bulldog was NOT doing well! We had to cool her slowly, and she was fine. The tea cup Yorkie was not really effected. Bulldogs are prone to heat related problems.

I wonder if there is a way for us to be notified at work if there is a brown out? I mean, what if, in this heat, the AC doesn't come back on, and our pups are alone at home??

I am glad there is always someone home here. It was a real wake-up call, just having this 10 minute brown out and seeing HOW HOT it got!

Edited by Energy11

Guest NJgrey

We've had to change our walk schedule. Morning walk has been cut in half, in the house by 8:30. From 8:30 til sundown, only potty break short walks. Doing a 20-30min walk at around 9pm, then one quick potty break before bed at 10:30. She's going a bit nuts without the long walks but it's just too damn hot out. Walking the streets of NYC is like walking around in a broiler. Between the blacktop, the direct sun and the cars, it's just disgusting.

Guest Energy11

Mine are all stir crazy, too.

I can only imagine what it is like in NY City! DS and his GF are flying into the Hudson Valley tomorrow night to visit my parents. I told him, to stay in a motel, cause my Mom does not have AC. They also planning to take the train into NYC ... Yikes! Hope you guys get that cool-down they are calling for.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I got mine some "extended play" chew sticks. They take about 30 to 45 minutes for them to chew up. It sounds gross, but the are all natural, braided, dried, buffalo intestines, :puke haha they really aren't that bad, I've smelled much worse and they make their teeth so sparkly!! I just try not to think about the ingredients! It looks like beef jerkey and doesn't leave any mess anywhere. So I've been giving them one of those when they are getting totally stir crazy. I'm even afraid to let them run at 9pm here, the humidity is so so high. :(

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest Energy11

I got mine some "extended play" chew sticks. They take about 30 to 45 minutes for them to chew up. It sounds gross, but the are all natural, braided, dried, buffalo intestines, puke.gif haha they really aren't that bad, I've smelled much worse and they make their teeth so sparkly!! I just try not to think about the ingredients! It looks like beef jerkey and doesn't leave any mess anywhere. So I've been giving them one of those when they are getting totally stir crazy. I'm even afraid to let the run at 9pm here, the humidity is so so high. sad.gif

I have sweet potatoe chews for mine. Where did you get the "intestine chews," from? Sound gross to me, but the dogs would love 'em!

They are NUTS! They want to lie outside!! DH is on his way back from visiting him Mom at the nursing home, just over the mountain, and he said the bank on the corner said 102 ... YIKES! This heat has GOT to go!

Edited by Energy11

Guest TeddysMom

I had to run a foster to the vet today for her "traveling papers", it was overcast and looked like we were going to get a nice soaking rain. It was down to 75 degrees in town but the clouds passed with only a sprinkle, the sun came back out it is back up to 88 on my front deck in the shade and the air is heavy again. I keep thinking everyday that it might get back down to normal temps but I guess that is not going to happen today. I really don't know how all of you city dwellers are managing with this heat. Stay safe and try to stay cool.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I got mine some "extended play" chew sticks. They take about 30 to 45 minutes for them to chew up. It sounds gross, but the are all natural, braided, dried, buffalo intestines, puke.gif haha they really aren't that bad, I've smelled much worse and they make their teeth so sparkly!! I just try not to think about the ingredients! It looks like beef jerkey and doesn't leave any mess anywhere. So I've been giving them one of those when they are getting totally stir crazy. I'm even afraid to let the run at 9pm here, the humidity is so so high. sad.gif

I have sweet potatoe chews for mine. Where did you get the "intestine chews," from? Sound gross to me, but the dogs would love 'em!

They are NUTS! They want to lie outside!! DH is on his way back from visiting him Mom at the nursing home, just over the mountain, and he said the bank on the corner said 102 ... YIKES! This heat has GOT to go!

Sorry I was off-line for a bit. I get them at our kennel, I had to go and get the label. They are 12" Buffalo Green Tripe Braided sticks, made by Canine Caviar Pet foods, Inc. They actually have a website www.caninecaviar.com. I've never looked them up, will go do that now! Sometimes they run out of the 12" ones at the kennel and it would be good to be able to order them on-line. I'm serious when I say they take the plaque off thier teeth, one of my dogs has terrible teeth, and after I give her one of those sticks her breath and teeth are so much better. It keeps them busy for quite a while, but after they have had two in a row they get quicker at working them down. I usually only give them one a month and it's doing a good job keeping their teeth cleaned. We went about 3 months without them this last time, and I was actually worried about them ingesting all the plaque from their teeth! I wondered if that would be a bad thing! Nothing happened though, so it must have been all right. :) I've also given them a long skinny stick, made by the same company, and it took them hours to eat all of them. I only pay 3.50 a piece for them at the kennel. And the smell is not bad either, I've smelled canned food that reeked much worse than these sticks! Off to go look up the company :)

Guest Energy11

Sorry I was off-line for a bit. I get them at our kennel, I had to go and get the label. They are 12" Buffalo Green Tripe Braided sticks, made by Canine Caviar Pet foods, Inc. They actually have a website www.caninecaviar.com. I've never looked them up, will go do that now! Sometimes they run out of the 12" ones at the kennel and it would be good to be able to order them on-line. I'm serious when I say they take the plaque off thier teeth, one of my dogs has terrible teeth, and after I give her one of those sticks her breath and teeth are so much better. It keeps them busy for quite a while, but after they have had two in a row they get quicker at working them down. I usually only give them one a month and it's doing a good job keeping their teeth cleaned. We went about 3 months without them this last time, and I was actually worried about them ingesting all the plaque from their teeth! I wondered if that would be a bad thing! Nothing happened though, so it must have been all right. smile.gif I've also given them a long skinny stick, made by the same company, and it took them hours to eat all of them. I only pay 3.50 a piece for them at the kennel. And the smell is not bad either, I've smelled canned food that reeked much worse than these sticks! Off to go look up the company smile.gif

Thanks for the info! I will order them today! :-) Boy oh boy ... 100 predicted here today! WHEN will this all end??? My Dad is VERY CRANKY (*lives in NY State) with all this heat, too.

Guest TeddysMom

Haven't watched the weather news today, how are the temps in the northest? It is not as hot here as it has been in the past couple of weeks, hoping this will last awhile. Stay safe and cool everyone. :snow:snow

Guest Energy11

I just talked to my Dad in The Hudson Valley in NY State. He says it is STILL VERY hott, and he was worried about his cat! He found her deeply asleep on the kitchen floor, and difficult to arouse! He carried her into the livingroom, and put her by the fan, and offered her some cold milk. He SAYS she is fine. He would die if he lost her. HE is VERY grouchy and on edge, with the HORRIBLE temps and no AC!

We are 100 degrees here now!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT FEELS LIKE, but REAL temps!

I just talked to my Dad in The Hudson Valley in NY State. He says it is STILL VERY hott, and he was worried about his cat! He found her deeply asleep on the kitchen floor, and difficult to arouse! He carried her into the livingroom, and put her by the fan, and offered her some cold milk. He SAYS she is fine. He would die if he lost her. HE is VERY grouchy and on edge, with the HORRIBLE temps and no AC!

Maybe you should offer to buy the AC for his cat. Then he might be more receptive to it. Remind him that blowing warm air over someone is just like being in a convection oven--it really doesn't cool you off.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Maybe you should offer to buy the AC for his cat. Then he might be more receptive to it. Remind him that blowing warm air over someone is just like being in a convection oven--it really doesn't cool you off.

Good idea! I can only TRY! I have already explained to him about blowing that HOTTT air around. He has a diningroom window that would be PERFECT for a window AC, and it would blow nicely on his chair, and, he could always sleep on the couch as well to stay cool. I will try mentioning it tomorrow. Thanks!

If he doesn't want to have to put in and take out a window unit, there are stand alone air conditioners, maybe that would work?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

If he doesn't want to have to put in and take out a window unit, there are stand alone air conditioners, maybe that would work?

I thought about the stand-up type, too. NOPE! Just talked to him this morning, and he doesn't want an AC!! Wayyyy tooo stubborn! He also has to go in for some medical testing (kidney untra-sound), and won't go until it cools down. I FINALLY got the HIPPA form signed by him, giving me permission to talk to his MD, soo, hopefully, I will know more of what is going on. We were just there in April. Might have to move up, but my landlord is an "arsk butt," and it won't be easy getting out of this lease.

I also talked to my Mom this a.m., and she said it has cooled down substantially. Thank God!

Thanks for all of your good ideas, too! HOTTER THAN HEck here. I am soaking wet from just grooming and "Adamsing" the dogs!

Guest Energy11

Bumping! ... The heat is STILL on, and they are calling for temps TEN DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL for the Northeast again. angryfire.gif

I know you are all as sick of this as I am! Stay cool and stay safe!

Guest kydie

After Energy 11 post, I went out and bought 3 room air conditioners, we never needed them before the heat has been 94 here, never, had this issue, Oh, maybe 1 or 2 days a year, but for weeks at a time, here in the mountains, nope, we most likley will never use them again, My problem is to remember to keep the door closed :lol dumb northener that I am :lol

Guest Energy11

After Energy 11 post, I went out and bought 3 room air conditioners, we never needed them before the heat has been 94 here, never, had this issue, Oh, maybe 1 or 2 days a year, but for weeks at a time, here in the mountains, nope, we most likley will never use them again, My problem is to remember to keep the door closed lol.gif dumb northener that I am lol.gif

Good move on the ACs! I used to live in NY State (The Husdon Valley), and it was NEVER like this! . My 85 yr old Dad still does. I am TRYING DAILY to convince him to get an AC. I MIGHT have him agreeable to a roll around portable unit. He is in beginning to moderate kidney failure (*just found out)... and he does NOT need to be fighting the heat!

At least your have the ACs! :-))