Heat Exhaustion And Heat Stroke Can Kill Your Dog And You!

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

This thread needs to be bumped to the top everyday as long as these temps are high. We don't go for walks until the sun goes down and then only for 15 minutes max, by that time they are panting and ready to get back in the AC.

I'll be happy to "bump it up" once or twice a week, myself, or you guys can do it too! :-)

***Just talked to my 85 yr old Dad in NY State (The Hudson Valley), and he is "feeling woozie" from the heat! REFUSES to get a room AC. Worries the HECK out of me! The heat is extra-dangerous to the elderly!

Count on it from here, it is just too important to let pass.

GREAT!!! Thanks!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For groups having events in warmer weather: At Mountain Hounds and at GFNC's Cinco do Mayo party they had a misting tent sent up. I swear it was 20 degrees cooler under that thing!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

For groups having events in warmer weather: At Mountain Hounds and at GFNC's Cinco do Mayo party they had a misting tent sent up. I swear it was 20 degrees cooler under that thing!

As you know, my hounds and I didn't go to the Mt. Hounds picnic. Too hott, (*and sprained ankle), BUT, the misting tent was an amazing idea! DH said it was pretty cool, literally and figuratively. You see a lot of these at the Florida theme parks, as well. smile.gif

Here's what they look like - linky to misting tent and another

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Very good reminder, it got so hot here so suddenly, and a few weeks ago at playgroup Spud overheated,he won't always drink water when he needs to, he was panting hard and a bit out of it, more than his usual goofiness, I took them both home ASAP and hosed him down in the backyard. He is fine, but now I keep a close eye on how much running they've done, and if another run wants to start up, I hold on to my two, keeping them in the shade.

This said, all the other dogs ran just as much, including Karma, and they were fine, so keep in mind each dog is different, I now err on the cautious side. Luckily he will come to me when I call him, even while running with a pack, otherwise I would have to stop going, it's hard catching a Grey in full run.....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest 4dogscrazy

I just corralled mine in 45 minutes ago, it was starting to cool down and they wanted to play. We're all going crazy here too! I just lectured my daughter, who was playing with the boy with the lure pole, that they can not be outside playing in this heat. They are all cooled down now in the AC.

I do have a question though: why can't you cool them down with the hose? Why is it always with tepid water? Where am I going to get buckets of tepid water if one of them overheats? The kitchen sink I guess. I do take all the advice and "rules" of greyhound ownership very seriously, and I've been worrying about this for a while. A local group just had a hound die of possibly heatstroke, so I'm fussing a bit now every time they go outside and try to run around. The dog did overheat, they were getting his temp down when he went into seizures. I don't know all the details, so I won't be much good if you ask about him. :( I know enough though to make me a complete fuss button now about all the heat! It's the hottest here in PA that I can remember for a long time now. Maybe that's why I never really worried that much about them last year.

Cold water constricts blood vessels, so it will actually hinder them being able to cool down quickly. They will still cool down, just not as quick.

And you can walk or play in the heat, but the dogs need to be conditioned to do that and not long sessions.

And you can walk or play in the heat, but the dogs need to be conditioned to do that and not long sessions.

Yep.

You don't want to take an extra-long walk in a sunny area on a warm day. Walks the dog is accustomed to, in temps the dog is accustomed to, are generally fine.

For yard play, I usually let the dogs decide what to do. On warmer days when we get out the lure pole, I give them just a few minutes and we're done. If dogs are chasing each other, ditto -- no running to exhaustion in the heat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Yep.

You don't want to take an extra-long walk in a sunny area on a warm day. Walks the dog is accustomed to, in temps the dog is accustomed to, are generally fine.

For yard play, I usually let the dogs decide what to do. On warmer days when we get out the lure pole, I give them just a few minutes and we're done. If dogs are chasing each other, ditto -- no running to exhaustion in the heat.

Thanks, that's just something I've been wondering about. (the blood vessel thing) I'm paying extra attention to this now since it's happened so close to me. Your right, the dogs normally control themselves in the heat, to the point that I don't usually muzzle them in the yard when it's so hot since all they do is lay in the shade. Mine are definatly NOT conditioned to walk or play in the heat, nor am I! So we do normally take it easy. It was just so flippin hot today, that when it cooled down around 8:30 tonight, they seemed to get a spark of energy. The youngest, Jesse, loves his lure pole and I can see why she wanted to play with them since they seemed into it. This only went on about 2 minutes, since I was around the side of the house pulling weeds. I wasn't worried tonight, but I did give her the speech again. She is 12, and knows a lot about the dogs, and the rules, and also is aware of the dog that passed away. But I thought I would remind her again since she is in charge of them during the day sometimes. I was sweating pulling weeds, in the shade, so that made me think it was still too hot for running around. I'm just keeping all this in the back of my head just in case. My two youngest are 3 and 4 and can sometimes have the urge to run around more than Tempe. The lab has barely left the house in a week! :lol

This is good advice and I'll help bump in the future if need be!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

I do have a question though: why can't you cool them down with the hose? Why is it always with tepid water? Where am I going to get buckets of tepid water if one of them overheats? .

You can hose them down on their belly and that is probably the easiest thing. If it is 90+ outside the hose IS tepid water and that is what they do at the track. Dr. Stack is saying do not immerse the dog in a tub of ice water -- the same first aid advice as for people with heat related issues. The shock is too bad. The hose is your best friend.

You CAN use wet towels on him to cool, stand him in a wading pool or tub of cool water, or immerse in TEPID, not cold, water.
Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest 4dogscrazy

I do have a question though: why can't you cool them down with the hose? Why is it always with tepid water? Where am I going to get buckets of tepid water if one of them overheats? .

You can hose them down on their belly and that is probably the easiest thing. If it is 90+ outside the hose IS tepid water and that is what they do at the track. Dr. Stack is saying do not immerse the dog in a tub of ice water -- the same first aid advice as for people with heat related issues. The shock is too bad. The hose is your best friend.

You CAN use wet towels on him to cool, stand him in a wading pool or tub of cool water, or immerse in TEPID, not cold, water.

Okay that makes sense, I think that's why I was confused. The track hoses them down, or puts them in water of some form, but I was picking up on the tepid water part and thought it over too much!! :lol

Guest LindsaySF

I use the hose a lot at home. We also use it at LGRA race meets when it's hot out (before and after each race). The water is cold coming out, but once on the dog it warms up quickly when the air temp is so high. You can tell if you overdo it because the dogs will actually start to shiver. Hosing them with cold water in certain spots isn't bad like immersing them in cold water. And "regular" cold is ok, ice cold is a little too cold. Hope that helps.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

My daughter called me up and told me to read this-- I don't have air conditioning and we're surviving with a lot of fans and closing doors on the hot side of the house as the sun moves around (well, ok technically as we move around the sun.. but you know.. ). My dogs are Not happy, but I think as long as I'm limiting their exercise they'll be okay. I have wet them down once this morning...need to pick up another squirt bottle to mist them with.

Thank you Dee!!!!!

Guest TeddysMom

I had forgotten about the misters but when we had the kennel in FL, we had 6 indoor/outdoor runs on each side. The inside was AC'ed and the outside was covered and each run had a dog door. During the hottest days, we had misters run across the outside runs so the dogs could go out and get wet if they wanted too. I also had sprinklers on the top of the building to lower the temp. On weekends when volunteers would come out to help and walk the dogs, we had a mister hung outside and kiddie pools so the people and dogs could cool off after their walks. I don't know how I ever survived the FL heat.

Edited by TeddysMom

Guest Energy11

Sounds like you are ALL doing the right thing. JUST BE CAREFUL, and don"t over do! THIS alone, will keep you AND your hounds from becoming over-heated.

I HATE the fact, we"ve not been able to walk our dogs for NINETEEN DAYS, but, it is far, far better than heat exhaustion or stroke! They sayyyyyyyyy we will be cooling back to normal (*God willing)... by Wed., and I cannot WAIT to go for a walk with my dogs!!

In the meantime, be careful and cautious, and it you will ALL be fine!

RE: the tepid water... comes right out of your hose or sink! Just no ice!

KEEP COOL EVERYONE! colgate.gifcool.gif

Guest TeddysMom

This heat is dangerous. An elderly man died in his home yesterday in MO due to the heat. Please make sure to check on any elderly family and neighbors that don't have AC. We went for a short walk last night at 10:30pm, the air was heavy and warm, Teddy and Spice were both panting and lazy even at that time. I didn't even take the others just let them out in the yard for a little bit. Please be careful, our dogs depend totally on us to protect them. If you have to take your dogs for walks in the heat you might take a bandana, put 3-4 ice cubes on it, roll it up and tie it loosely around their necks. As the ice melts you can use the wet bandana to wipe them down. Maybe take a bottle of water, freeze it and as it melts, give them a few sips on the walk or just wet down a washcloth and wipe them. I am beginning to think that it is never going to cool down, I HATE this. :angryfire

Guest Energy11

This heat is dangerous. An elderly man died in his home yesterday in MO due to the heat. Please make sure to check on any elderly family and neighbors that don't have AC. We went for a short walk last night at 10:30pm, the air was heavy and warm, Teddy and Spice were both panting and lazy even at that time. I didn't even take the others just let them out in the yard for a little bit. Please be careful, our dogs depend totally on us to protect them. If you have to take your dogs for walks in the heat you might take a bandana, put 3-4 ice cubes on it, roll it up and tie it loosely around their necks. As the ice melts you can use the wet bandana to wipe them down. Maybe take a bottle of water, freeze it and as it melts, give them a few sips on the walk or just wet down a washcloth and wipe them. I am beginning to think that it is never going to cool down, I HATE this. angryfire.gif

Wonderful advice, and good reminders, too! I worry all the time about my Dad, 85. He REFUSES to get a window AC, and I have offered to send him one. Luckily, the NE is going to have temps I'd die for, this week! 70s/50s! The weather men SAYYYYYYYYYY it is supposed to cool down to seasonal temps! I will take it, but I will also believe it WHEN I see it! Yes IT HAS TO cool down soon! This is horrible! Today is 20 days here, above 90! sad.gif

Thanks Ducky for mentioning the misting tent. We bought the two hoses through ABC Distributing but they no longer have it. My DH attached it to PVC pipe and then to one of those basic popup tents. The PVC pipe keeps the line straight while you store it so the nozzles are less likely to break.

Here is a link for a similiar hose. You attach it direct to a water hose. No tanks or pumps needed.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.F08690.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=For%20the%20Home&cm_pla=Outdoor%20Living&cm_ite=F08690

Here is a link on a do it yourself style. And my manager works with the boy scouts. He said they just punched holes in a water hose and used it. Water came out larger than a mist but it kept the boys wet and cool.

http://www.mistcooling.com/doit_yourself.htm

Jasmine and my black Maggie-Mae will go outside and lay in the sun for as long as I will let them. Jasmine will even role over to tan her belly then onto the other side. Of course I don't let them stay out long. It was 98 here on Monday.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Gee was having a hard time the other day when we discovered the air wasn't working. I took a regular floor fan, turned it on and took a squirt bottle and squirted it at the fan. It created a great mist to cool her down. I also directly sprayed her with it and put the fan on her. Worked like a charm.

This heat is horrific and older greyhounds don't tolerate it as well as younger ones do. Be very careful with your senior hounds.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Gee was having a hard time the other day when we discovered the air wasn't working. I took a regular floor fan, turned it on and took a squirt bottle and squirted it at the fan. It created a great mist to cool her down. I also directly sprayed her with it and put the fan on her. Worked like a charm.

This heat is horrific and older greyhounds don't tolerate it as well as younger ones do. Be very careful with your senior hounds.

We were just out in the SHADE, with the hounds, and it was 100!!!!!!! IT is HORRIBLE out there, just horrible! I even felt sick when we got in! It HAS to break, it just HAS to! angryfire.gifmad.gif

I like the idea of the fan mister, too! cool.gif

Guest Flysmom

Thank you for posting this!

I had to cancel a outside M&G in the beginning of June because it was already so hot here. I guess the organizers were not to happy with us pulling out of this event but my dogs and the other dogs are too important to me.(No misting tents or fans were available...)

I also have a sunbather, Poncho my black crazy man, insist on going out to be in the sun, coming in to cool down and wanting to go back out... :rolleyes:

Guest TeddysMom

We were just out in the SHADE, with the hounds, and it was 100!!!!!!! IT is HORRIBLE out there, just horrible! I even felt sick when we got in! It HAS to break, it just HAS to! angryfire.gifmad.gif

I like the idea of the fan mister, too! cool.gif

Your prayers might be answered Dee, it has been in the low 80's here today so hopefully it will be heading to your part of the country soon. What a relief!!